What's your "Golden Rule" for your golf swing?

duckseatfree

Reaction score
Handicap
I was having a discussion with a friend of mine and he mentioned that he has a "golden rule" that he keeps in mind every time he takes a swing. I thought this might be an interesting topic since I do have a thought every time I go to take a swing, which I guess would be my golden rule. Mine is to only put in about 90% into all my swings. Not "only make 90% of my backswing", but to never, EVER go 100%. Once I started doing this I went to never hitting the fairway to hitting 65% of the fairways and a significant improvement with my 6,5 and 4 irons.

So, let's hear it. What's your "Golden Rule"?

Mine has recently changed from "keep the swing short" to "swing from the inside".

Casual round - Tempo & Timing
THP Event - Pray For Contact

Mine is "don't F this up."

Tempo, tempo and tempo.

Keep your head down and eyes on the ball...in a THP event it would be to not wet myself

Keep my head still and keep my chin behind the ball. Focus my eyes on an imaginery ball 4 inches behind the actual ball. Keep my feet outside my shoulders. Be conscious of my grip. On impact don't have the club face open. Don't swing with my arms, Keep my wrists loose. Don't sway into the ball. Be fluid with my stroke.

Mine recently has been "Keep arms connected and close to body". I get too armsy sometimes and it affects my swing and then I tend to cut the ball

Balance, balance, and more balance. I feel my swing is at its best when I'm in balance. Like your friend, I hold my finish until the ball reaches its peak.

Slow it down

Recently, mine has been "right heal down"

Take it back slow... Everything usually falls into place if I do.

Haha. Touché.

I forgot to mention. My friend's was to pose for the finish. He said it helps his balance.

If I notice my balance being off, this really really helps it.

Tempo and extension.

You idiot slow down next time

Make a full turn.

Do I have another ball in my pocket? :banghead:

Finish your swing!

Mine is to remember that no matter what happens, just act like you meant to do whatever it is you just did.

Do I have another ball in my pocket? :banghead:

That's funny because when I got to the tee box I always have one teed up and another tossed somewhere outside of the tee box. It started out because I would usually have to hit 2 off the tee because my first would always go in the woods and it was easier to just take two. Now its more of a comfort thing.

Let the club do the work.

The one thing that goes hand in hand with a good swing for me is making sure my front hip and shoulder thrust to a 1:00 position (where 12:00 is the direction I want the ball to go). I generate most of my power from that rotation, and if I let my front side open up at all, it's a dead pull every time.

Back