Cutting down driver shafts?

Reaction score
Handicap
So, my driver shaft is 45.5 inches. My old driver was custom to 44.5 inches.

If I get my driver cut down 1 inch from the butt end, I know it will not really have much impact on shaft flex. However will it mess with the swing weight?

6 point drop if all other things stay the same.

6 point drop if all other things stay the same.

Is there a way to cut it down 1" but still keep the same weight?

Is there a way to cut it down 1" but still keep the same weight?

Yep. You'll have to add weight to the head. Lots of it. Appx 12g I believe. My suggestion is the HD lead tape since you can use less of it.

Yep. You'll have to add weight to the head. Lots of it. Appx 12g I believe. My suggestion is the HD lead tape since you can use less of it.

Is that the only way? No way to put stick something inside the shaft at the butt end and stick it to the side?

Is that the only way? No way to put stick something inside the shaft at the butt end and stick it to the side?

You could do hot melt in the head as an alternative.

Also, I wonder if the swing weight will be noticeable...

Tough call. I'd say it's definitely worth replacing the head weight, but as for whether it's worth cutting down - depends who you ask. I think it's more a mental than anything, because people tend to suck with drivers in general. I play mine shorter, but I wouldn't say it's been a game changer for me.

Also, I wonder if the swing weight will be noticeable...

6 points is a lot. Typically they say 2+ points will be noticeable. Depends very much on the person though. I am sensitive to it. Others will tell you it doesn't matter. Most fitters/builders are going to say it matters though.

6 points is a lot in terms of SW. Generally when I play my shorter driver I tip to match under 45. So if I play a 44.5" driver, I will tip the shaft 1/2" and but trim to length. You could always just choke down on the grip an inch. I play my driver around 44" typically to have better consistency hitting the sweet spot.

Butt trim and then weigh the cut piece. 99.% of people will never be able to feel the difference in sw. Feel is subjective as is everything in golf.

6 points is a lot in terms of SW. Generally when I play my shorter driver I tip to match under 45. So if I play a 44.5" driver, I will tip the shaft 1/2" and but trim to length. You could always just choke down on the grip an inch. I play my driver around 44" typically to have better consistency hitting the sweet spot.

+1 Agree, try choking down an inch and see if it helps.

Butt trim and then weigh the cut piece. 99.% of people will never be able to feel the difference in sw. Feel is subjective as is everything in golf.

I agree feel is subjective, but I'd say the difference is closer to 50/50 that 99%.

My advice would be to just grip down a little. Back a few years ago I used to butt cut the shaft on my driver to sub 45". For the past 2+ seasons I have kept my driver shaft length at the stock 45.5" and love it.

I agree feel is subjective, but I'd say the difference is closer to 50/50 that 99%.
Agreed a full 1" is a lot of SW points i would think most could feel a change in the club even if they could not tell what it was

I put tungsten powder down the shaft and rammed a cork down the shaft until everything was packed tight.

Reviving an old thread but I'm wondering if you cut down a shaft whether it be a driver or wood shaft from the butt end, will that weaken the shaft flex or strengthen it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typically shaft trimming is recommended from the end not the tip. I always thought trimming the tip stiffened the flex/feel, but I'm sure more knowledgeable than me will chime in

Reviving an old thread but I'm wondering if you cut down a shaft whether it be a driver or wood shaft from the butt end, will that weaken the shaft flex or strengthen it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Butt trimming will have minimal effect on how the shaft plays. What has some effect is how much you trim as far as swing weight. If you chop off an inch that's 6 swing weight points (byproduct will be shaft playing a bit stiffer, not much, because there's less momentum loading the shaft). If you add weight to the head to get back to same swing weight (12g = 6 swing weight points) that could make the shaft play slightly weaker

Back