Cleveland Classic HB Putter Line Review

Switched the #1 with the same giant grip. Have one at home, but not sure if I'm going to spend the money to re-grip it since I'll only have a week to play around with it.

I might consider one as my second putter but right now very happy with my Method putter.

Documented some struggles with the two plumber neck versions of this line here and there - the #1 and #4.5. I tried to avoid both for the Morgan Cup, but some availability issues forced my hand unfortunately, so I opted to play the #1. Actually have had the exact putter for a number of months, gripped with an iLine. The MC version will have a black Winnpro X 1.6 on it.

Issue I noticed was what appeared to be an increased frequency of toe contact, and when looking at the way the putter sat, the handle was actually sitting flatter/lower than most other similar putters. A little inspection revealed that it was likely due to the curvature on the sole. See below:

pic18.jpg

I believe I was setting up and just allowing the heel side of the smiley face to sit flush on the ground, because the putter will gladly let you do that the way that it's built. Glad I looked at that, because I'd considered just bending the hell out of the thing to make it sit flush. Turns out, just a conscious effort to sole the sight line flush to the ground was all I needed. Got my hands back in the right position and last night I was having no issues with poor contact and putts were dropping. Really felt like boo-hooing a little after having to make the switch, but that's over and it's going to be just fine.

Won't say it's anywhere near the big names for feel, especially since I'm reviewing a rather exceptional putter at the moment, but it's fine considering the price. At more the $250 less, I can see the value. Looks good. I can't wait to get my preferred grip on it, because that should make it a little more formidable for me on the greens.

Nice Hawk, glad to see you figured out the issue!

Back