Tale of Two Rounds, and what todays lesson taught me...

Michigan Slice

This Guy Cant dance...
Reaction score
Handicap
I hope to keep this relatively short. (going to be impossible)

A couple days ago, I filled in for a league, on a course I've never played, and I didn't know a soul there.
Furthermore, my play would help decide if the team would finish in the money or fall out of the money.
We will call this aptly the league round.

Yesterday, I woke early and traveled a couple hours to play with a THP'er, and a couple other guys that I know and would consider to be great people.
We all know each other, get along, and the only pressure was to follow up the previous days round.
We will call this the friend round.

My league round started off by me not finding out where to pay for my round,as it is a small resort. Once I did, I could not provide any information, the only thing I DID know was I was to be there and fill in at 4:00PM.
I did not know anyone, so I asked what tees is the league playing and went to the 10th tee and waited.
Once I found out who I was playing with and against, I sat in the cart quietly waiting our turn on the tee.
Small talk was made and my partner for the round was really cool, the guys we were playing against were a$$hats! especially the one I was playing against, This guy thought he knew everything, was pompous, and just an overall DB.
There was a sign on the teebox saying no sunflower seeds on the greens, which I thought was odd, but this guy had a mouth packed with them like he was a squirrel. was he the reason why?

Finally, we tee off. I hit the fairway on 10, and I am the shortest hitter of the bunch but the only one on the fairway.
The DB drives to my ball and asked if he thought I could hit it up to his ball or should he wait here? now this guy is a long hitter, he was probably a good 70 yards in front of me. I smirked, and proceeded to top the next shot about 10 yards, he said something, and I freaking did it again... he stated "I knew I could have gone up to my ball" and laughed. I was getting seriously pissed! I finished that hole with a triple.
This guy was also spitting his shells on the green in my path, said that they might guide my ball to the hole...
On the next teebox I was asked by my partner what I normally shoot per nine, and I told him I would expect to be around 47-49 based on never playing the course. The DB places bets on me at this point,with his partner. He bets that I am 47 by the 7th hole, his partner bets I hit 47 on the 8th. They bet the nights beers on me.
I miss the next fairway, then miss the green short, then chip on to 14', then sink the par putt.
Next hole, I miss fairway just right, put my approach on the green, but 30+' away, then sink the birdie!
I was playing with purpose and attitude, my game (other than the par 3's which I had doubles on both) was focused on beating this guy, on every shot.
He by the way shot par on the first 2 holes.
I ended up beating him 44 to 45. I helped the team finish 1st overall in the league. I was shooting well, and my partner asked if I wanted to continue playing,so we did. I also shot 44 on that nine for a round of 88, which for me was an awesome score.

And I get a text from Bullfrog with an invite to play the following morning, I wanted to keep a good thing going so I accepted!

I met these guys for the friends round, and came out gunning!! Par on the first hole, and bogey on a tough par 3.
I also never played this course, so I decided I would play away from trouble, play target golf, and play to my most comfortable numbers.

Then... We met the maintenance crew...
This was my first time playing the first tee time that I can remember. The maintenance guys were EVERYWHERE! and they would be mowing in front of you, starting and stopping engines, they would be in the bunkers, and around the greens, they would make you wait, and they would just hang out.

Now, I will say, although I do like to mess with beer cart girls, I don't like playing golf with them around for some reason, and I can now say confidently that this goes with Maintenance workers. It's like they were stalking us on every hole!! they were behind us, in front of us, in between us, they were everywhere!
I never got into a groove after the 2nd hole and my round suffered. Everyone there was supportive, they were great, I hit some really good shots, just never strung them together.
This was supposed to be my comfortable round!! I was with friends! What the sam hell happened?

I emailed my instructor kind of distraught, and asked for an availability for a lesson.
So I went in this morning at 7:00AM.

We talked about my recent game, I told him of the league match and he gave me a high five! Then.... I told him about the friends round.
We dissected my thoughts and experiences during both rounds, course conditions, weather, everything you can imagine.

We talked candidly about my game, I was told some good things and bad things from my instructors position.
We talked about how I fueled my frustrations towards a goal positively during the league round and let the distractions and frustrations derail my game on the friends match.
We talked about being comfortable and not being rushed over every shot. If you don't think you can make a good shot, DON'T!
We talked about how I need to position my focus into making the best shot I can, and limit the damage from my mistakes, also to make my misses useable.
My ball flight is not always going to be perfect, but will I be able to benefit somehow from that stroke, or is it going to help derail what I am trying to do?

My lesson covered ball striking, he gave me tips and fixes to some of my common misses. We focused on covering the ball, watching the ball launch from the clubface, and also setup.
I feel I am ready to continue with my improvement to better golf.

I wrote this to maybe get yourself thinking about how you handle self expectations, how you handle frustrations, and how you handle success.
I am ready I think to handle all of the above better.

I hope you were able to stay with me through this, and I hope it might help you.

DB was particularly douche-y. How did he react at the end of the round? Hope you asked him and his friend to pick up the bar tab of your entire team since they were both wrong. Great job shooting 88 too!

Last edited:
I hate DBs like that and I am super happy for you that you beat him. If you want I can be a DB tomorrow to get you back in your groove, lol.

I hate DBs like that and I am super happy for you that you beat him. If you want I can be a DB tomorrow to get you back in your groove, lol.

I will see if a little something my coach and I talked about works first...

So did the DB and his partner buy you drinks? After the league round, did you say "let me know when you've practiced a little more and maybe we can play competitively again."

I find it somewhat humorous that you can play awesome golf with a total DB in the group harassing you, but the maintenance crew bothers you too much. Everyone has their thing. I dealt with a maintenance crew once. I wouldn't say they were bothering me, the noise certainly didn't bother me, but the constant waiting for them to get out of the way took me clear out of my flow.

Also, sounds like you have a fantastic instructor, working on both your physical and mental game.

~Rock

You played some fantastic golf with me down in OC. Hoping we get be partners again down in West Palm Beach. If we are, you can bet like hell that we will be Team Neon Shirts

Crazy. I have never run into a DB like that of whom I've never met. That takes some nerve. Don't worry about the friends round. Seems to me like you just lost your focus and allowed the distractions to get to you. Dont worry about anyone else, focus on your game and what your doing.

yeah DB's suck. Sometimes I wonder if they do purposely to take the opponent out of their game. Mental game. Kinda like trash talkers on the basketball court in which I normally keep quiet and let my game speak. Glad you didn't let him get to you. Those are who I call small people.

I like how you ended your starting post to this, your focus and strength. We all get frustrated on the course and in life. It's how you adapt and learn going forward that makes us who we are.

Now, that being said... damn you're stronger than I am when it came to how you played with that group. What a couple of A-holes. How cool you beat King Douchey! I hope are paired with him again so you can rub his nose in it from the first tee. You own that beyotch!

Great story CJ! I love reading about you sinking a putt right over the db's (I don't think he deserves capital letters) snide comments. The thing that really resonates with me from this story is how you described playing with a purpose in the league round. I know that I play better when I can keep myself focused on the target. Thanks for posting this, I definitely needed to read a story like this today.

I'm going to guess that the asshats didn't follow up on their bets. That's because most trash talkers end up doubling as chickenshits when their mouths get them in trouble. Nothing good comes from running your mouth with anyone but your good friends. Great job CJ making them eat a fat one.

I really really hope you told the DB that you couldn't count that high... and for him to add up ya'lls scorecard.

I hate playing with guys like that, good for you CJ for not letting him get in your head!

I'm going to guess that the asshats didn't follow up on their bets. That's because most trash talkers end up doubling as chickenshits when their mouths get them in trouble. Nothing good comes from running your mouth with anyone but your good friends. Great job CJ making them eat a fat one.

You've got that right! Congrats on your round MS! Waiting on maintenance crews gets me out of rhythm too and I start topping everything

Definitely good to hear that you persevered on that league round CJ. Guys like that annoy the heck out of me.

Too bad about the friendly round though. I also find trouble getting into a groove when the maintenance people are around (especially when hitting into a green when they are sitting there waiting). I love an early morning round though, so I will generally put up with the frustration to be able to be on the course at such a great time of day.

Keep at it. Don't let the haters keep you down.

First off, Michigan Slice, that guy is a royal A-Hole. As in, I'm not just saying it to support you to make you feel better. For a guy to make those comments to a stranger simply playing golf, and then to start betting, that's unbelievably douchey. It's so disheartening that those people are walking around with that attitude toward others.

I've heard it said you can truly tell how genuine a person is by how he/she treats people that he/she doesn't HAVE to treat nicely (bosses, family, etc).

That makes it SO MUCH MORE REWARDING that you came back and beat him. Not just made him lose the beat--beat HIM. That's awesome man. When the good guys win, it's just better. It's very cool you found a focus and it translated to a better game.

Becoming a big fan of yours for your honesty and insights on here bud. And love the long posts. Happy shootin'.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

In my opinion CJ those maintenance men where getting to all of us. At one point they sat in our way and chatted while we waited 5-7 minutes to hit. I for one get out of a groove when I have to wait. Plus it's harder when you start out a little rough and then have to wait like the way I started. It took like 9 holes to warm up my driver then it got going but still. It's hard to concentrate on your shot when your constantly waiting on some who shouldn't be there to stop chatting. And constantly waving them out of your way. It was just hard to believe that it happened for 16/18 holes. I understand that we were the first group. But to me that means there were 16 open holes with no one on them that they could have moved to another hole and came back. Doesn't waiting on us mess up their cutting technique less than moving to a different hole? I understand what you mean dude. Don't sweat that round. You hit some good shots when you focused!

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

Back