Chicago area thread (Northern IL, Milwaukee, Northern Indiana too)

I'll be taking the day off work so I will be heading over there early as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe we can play something similar to formats you'll likely see in California.

Maybe we can play something similar to formats you'll likely see in California.

Anything the group wants to do is fine with me! But I think that is a great idea.
Some sort of team match would be fun.

I still do not believe I am going Hawk...

Chicago THPers! I need some help. Traveling up to Chicago on Sunday and I'll be there until Wednesday. Looks like I'll be going to the Cubs game on Tuesday. I also hear I need to eat some pizza while I'm in town to. Any other suggestions of things I need to see and do while I'm in town? Thanks!

I have only lived in the area a couple years and I travel a fair amount so I am still chasing down the touristy things to do here as well as the local so I will give you my two cents.

Food:

• I am a Lou Malnati's fan. I get the Chicago Classic and have them add pepperoni. They must add the crack for free because it is addictive! In fact, I have a couple slices with me for lunch today.
  • Portillo's Italian Beef is a favorite of mine too. Extra gravy, sweet peppers, hot peppers (if you are so inclined) and moz.
  • I always enjoy taking people to Ed Debevic's downtown too. http://www.eddebevics.com/
  • I have yet to try a Chicago dog so I can't say for sure which one to try.
  • A lot of great restaurants around the city for pretty much whatever you are in the mood.

To do:

• I always enjoy walking around Millennium park and the lake.
  • Architectural boat tour is great.
  • A Second City show is always funny. www.secondcity.com
  • The Blue Man Group show is also good.
  • The citypass mentioned gives a lot of ideas even if you don't get it.

The secondcity is an excellent suggestion and it's located in a great neighborhood with lots of good food both north and south really good suggestion!

I wish I was playing golf. I'll be busy all day, but I'm looking forward to getting out at night. I'm going to eat pizza until I'm sick! Haha

I'm staying downtown. I heard the boat tour was awesome and I plan on going up in some of the skyscrapers for the view. Just looking for some things that I should check out while I'm there. Thanks for the suggestions!

I live downtown. Perhaps we could grab a meal or 2 if time permits. Where are you staying?

I'd recommend Hot Doug's for a lunch, but the wait is an hour or more most days. The good news is the great dogs and duck fat fries. A dinner at Malnati's is a must. Those are my opinion on musts in terms of local fare. They do get busy but they are worth the hassle for the most part. I like Malnati's the best, but Pizanos, Gino's, etc. are good as well. You can get Brazilian steakhouses elsewhere, but Fogo is never a bad call either! Then there's dim sum in Chinatown on the weekends and some good restaurants there as well. Yes, the Chinese guy does indeed know the good spots in Chinatown >.>

The glass pods in the SEARS tower are cool. Don't call it by the other name, people will ask you to leave :p The best boat tour is the one that takes you under the bridges in the city. Plenty of options at Navy Pier. The Second City improv suggestion is a great one. Grab an ice cream and walk the Mag Mile. House of Blues is a cool place as well.

I just hope the weather cooperates with you. We're having a weird year so far starting with the polar vortex.

Garret's is crazy good if you like carmel corn! Meet up with Manlai if you have the chance, very nice guy! And great suggestions from him. Hot Doug's is closing too so it is a fleeting opportunity!

Question: Has anyone played Bliss Creek? Is it worth the trip? They state a $28 18-hole walking weekend rate and golfnow has a $30 rate with cart.

Question: Has anyone played Bliss Creek? Is it worth the trip? They state a $28 18-hole walking weekend rate and golfnow has a $30 rate with cart.

I have not but with those rates I don't think u can go wrong.

From The HTC One Blue!

I have not but with those rates I don't think u can go wrong.

From The HTC One Blue!

Thanks. I got an email coupon from Fox Bend for a $29 walking rate this weekend. I am thinking of going that route based on previous recommendations.

Boarding for Cancun. See you folks in a week!! Golf well. :)

From The HTC One Blue!

I play it often, it's only three miles from my house. It's fun and cheap. Bring extra balls.

Just found out I can take 1 guest (as many times as I'd like) up to Thunderhawk for $30 with a cart. Whenever someone is free we should go play it!

Hello friend :D

Just found out I can take 1 guest (as many times as I'd like) up to Thunderhawk for $30 with a cart. Whenever someone is free we should go play it!

Prepare to be hit on by golf junkies.... :)

Awesome of you to throw this out there!

Would love to bring you guys out there. It's beautiful

Would love to bring you guys out there. It's beautiful

Easily my favorite course in close proximity (within 30 minutes). I live a couple miles from Thunderhawk, and usually play a few times per season, but haven't played there this season, yet. We really should see about getting a few folks together out there.

I agree, my favorite that I've played so far.

Man, Chicago is a really great city. So impressed with what I've seen so far.

Man, Chicago is a really great city. So impressed with what I've seen so far.

I haven't really lived in this area too long but I agree. You should see the Air and Water show in August. I found it really cool to see military aircraft pop out from the buildings downtown and do stunts over the lake.

What days of the week is that available?

I play it often, it's only three miles from my house. It's fun and cheap. Bring extra balls.

Thanks, Doc. Perhaps we can play there sometime soon.

I actually play a few time a year with the owners son, but never at Bliss. I have been invited gratis but it never works out...my best friend is really good friends with him and plays there a lot and really speaks well of it. Its on the short side no?

I actually play a few time a year with the owners son, but never at Bliss. I have been invited gratis but it never works out...my best friend is really good friends with him and plays there a lot and really speaks well of it. Its on the short side no?

Not 100% sure as the website doesn't have a scorecard but based on an internet search, it appears to be about 5500 yards and a Par 69.

Back