I play a 7w as my longest club in my bag. It used to be a 19* hybrid, but the hybrid was too inconsistent for me. With the 7w I have a 1 way miss and that is a slight pull draw. The hybrid could go in any direction so it was replaced. It is an old V Steel so it is a smaller profile head. I have seen a few hybrids that are larger than it in the stores.

I haven't figured out how to hit a hybrid well yet so I stick with the fairway woods. However, I need something for thick rough.

You should just find what is comfortable for you. Putting a 3w in your bag "because everyone else has one" is not the way to go. If you're striping the hybrids, and can't hit a 3w to save your life, I would suggest the hybrids!

For what my high handicap answer is worth, I keep a 3 wood in the bag, but only for off the tee. I'm definitely not gonna try and pull it to hit a green in 2. I have 20 and 23 degree G25 hybrids that I'm much more confident with, out of the rough or off the fairway.

I have a 3 wood in the bag, but i only really use it off the tee or if my second shot on a long par 5 will leave me at a yardage i dont like with the 2 Hybrid i have.

I can't get on with fairway woods. I've been pondering swapping out my 17 3HL for weeks now, especially as my 20.5 hybrid is like Harry Potter's magic wand. I almost feel like I should be carrying a fairway wood though, daft I know.

I am not a fan of low low lofted hybrids. I will take the extra mass of a fairway wood. 8 days a week

+1 to this. I've gone the other way this season -- no low lofted hybrids. I just can't control them, particularly off the tee.

I've even gone in and added the 7W, which has become my go to club off the deck. This past weekend I even used it out of fairway sand, with zero loss in distance.

I've started to think of going the other way. I've started hitting my 4W a bit more consistently off the deck than my 20* hybrid - thinking of going 3W/5W, and starting the hybrids at 4. The hybrid is better out of the rough than a fairway, but it's rare that I'm looking at hitting my 3h distance out of the rough - the 4 would do just as well for those situations.

Last edited:
I've played the Driver, 3 wood, 3 hybrid set up for quite some time. I'm going to add a 4 hybrid to my new set next week. There's some places around here where my 3 hybrid is just too long, especially when it's dry and IMO the hybrid is just easier to hit off the tee and out of the rough. I rarely ever hit my 3 wood off the deck, but it's my goto club off the tee on most average par 4's and some par 5's. If I've got to hit my 3 wood off the deck to get to a green I'm most likely more than 230 out and I'd just as soon lay up and have a nice smooth wedge to get up and down instead of compounding something. I'll go at a par 5 if I have my hybrid in my hand though.

I've thought about going with hybrids only, but just don't see the point. I'm ok with hitting a low lofted hybrid, and have no issues with it at all, but I still want a 3 wood at least.

After hitting the Bertha on the course today, I couldn't imagine not having a 3w. Its just so easy to hit and damn long!

I am currently using a TM RocketBallz Stage 2 3H 19*, and it's long enough that it's really made my 3W redundant. I've never been able to hit the 3W off the deck, it was for more accurate driving off the tee. Now that I've improved my driver accuracy, and I can hit the Hybrid almost as long off the tee (220-230), I don't need 3W. Plus I can hit Hybrid off the fairway for longer shots into par 5's. I plan to add a 4H soon to replace my 3 iron, and use the extra club to add another wedge at some point. The 3W has a Reg Flex, too, and I've switched to stiff flex in Driver / 3H which is better for me.

Agree that you've got to which ever club you feel more confidence with.

I've just recently pulled my 3 wood in exchange for a low lofted hybrid. I can attack more with the hybrid and it seems to have a better ball flight as well. We'll see how the experiment goes.

I use my 3W mostly off the deck and in light rough. Occasionally on long par 3's I need it as well, but couldn't imagine my bag without it. My 5W is amazing off any type of lie, couldn't imagine a round without it either. My lone 4 hybrid is a towel holder at this point!

I kicked my 3w out of the bag, likely for good. I play 19* and 22* hybrids. It's really just preference and utility for me. I'm 10-20 yds longer with my 3w than I am with the 3h and I never absolutely NEED those yards. I certainly hit the 3h a lot better and more consistently. At worst I putt it down the fairway with it and still get decent yardage. Off the tee, I'm more accurate with my driver than I am with the 3w so really what's the point of the 3w for me? I swap between an extra wedge and a second driver (a little higher loft and a little shorter but still a driver head) for the last club.

I'm going to play driver then 3h for a while to see.

I kicked my 3w out of the bag, likely for good. I play 19* and 22* hybrids. It's really just preference and utility for me. I'm 10-20 yds longer with my 3w than I am with the 3h and I never absolutely NEED those yards. I certainly hit the 3h a lot better and more consistently. At worst I putt it down the fairway with it and still get decent yardage. Off the tee, I'm more accurate with my driver than I am with the 3w so really what's the point of the 3w for me? I swap between an extra wedge and a second driver (a little higher loft and a little shorter but still a driver head) for the last club.

This is my situation...great idea on the two drivers. I may try that for a bit until I get another wedge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been pondering the no 3-wood option for a while. One side says replace it with a 1H. But, there are not a lot of 1H's around and so I can't really test them without buying them. In this scenario. I don't really want a different brand/model of 1H than my 2-3-4H's. I am a strong believer in club and shaft consistency. So, it would probably bug me if the 1H was different than my other H's. And 1H is not an option in my current setup.

The other option is to add another wedge to my bag and fill the gap between my 51 and my 60.

I've been pondering the no 3-wood option for a while. One side says replace it with a 1H. But, there are not a lot of 1H's around and so I can't really test them without buying them. In this scenario. I don't really want a different brand/model of 1H than my 2-3-4H's. I am a strong believer in club and shaft consistency. So, it would probably bug me if the 1H was different than my other H's. And 1H is not an option in my current setup.

The other option is to add another wedge to my bag and fill the gap between my 51 and my 60.

A good option here is the Mashie M1. They are relatively inexpensive and good way to find out, at 15.5* loft almost a three wood in loft. You have probably tried the Mashie in some loft previous as they were very popular THPers. It is very easy to hit as I have one.

I could see switching to a hybrid if your hitting it 235, but you gotta wonder if you've been playing the wrong 3W and should really be hitting it 280.

I could see switching to a hybrid if your hitting it 235, but you gotta wonder if you've been playing the wrong 3W and should really be hitting it 280.

I'm not a long hitter. Never have been. 7i is only a 150 club for me

I am not a fan of low low lofted hybrids. I will take the extra mass of a fairway wood. 8 days a week

I think I'm the same way. I don't mind hitting hybrids however I generally hit my fairway wood much much better. Only difference is I'll just take the FW 7 days a week and twice on Sundays!

I think I'm the same way. I don't mind hitting hybrids however I generally hit my fairway wood much much better. Only difference is I'll just take the FW 7 days a week and twice on Sundays!

You know, I've become this way, a 5w/7w for me is oft more reliable than a hybrid in the same loft. There are naturally some exceptions, but I think post MC I'll likely be 3w and 5w again in the bag. Crazy to think how far things have come for me to willingly do that.

I dumped fairway woods about 10 years ago. I'm not comfortable with the mass of a fw off the fairway. I like the hybrids easy to hit from everywhere for me and plenty of distance and I like the gaps better throughout my set.

You know, I've become this way, a 5w/7w for me is oft more reliable than a hybrid in the same loft. There are naturally some exceptions, but I think post MC I'll likely be 3w and 5w again in the bag. Crazy to think how far things have come for me to willingly do that.
I can't get a 3w-5w-4h setup out of my head. It's not going to happen any time soon, but I just keep coming back to that setup as the best to fill gaps I'm concerned with. Of course...that would mean adding another Seamus, so....

Back