Claret Jug or Stanley Cup

Claret Jug or Stanley Cup

Claret and probably a Stone IPA.

I may disagree with the beverage delivery, but the brew of choice is top notch!

I'd have to go Stanley Cup, despite knowing all the nasty things that bad boy has seen. From there it would be a Lagunitas Sucks or a Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest.

Last edited:
My uncle owned a boat in the 70's, "Lord Stanley", docked at the Jersey Shore. My mom has a picture of me with my Uncle, Bernie Parent, and Bobby Clarke on his boat in the summer of 75 with the Stanley Cup. Flyers had just won their second cup and Bernie docked 2 slips down.
Awesome story man.

Claret Jug full of that awesome bock beer from Shiner, TX

probably the Stanley Cup filled with Magic Hat #9

So much incredible history with both trophies but it's Lord Stanley's Cup, by miles, for me. Growing up all of us dreamed we'd one day hoist it triumphantly and later run our fingertips over our names etched on the side. To read and reflect upon the legends engraved upon it, recalling the price they paid, while sipping the foam from an ice cold beer off the brim will have to do for me now. My own hockey 'career' was dashed shortly after high school, too long ago.

Arrogant Bastard Ale out of the Stanley Cup.

Claret Jug...probably a nice whiskey

Claret Jug for me. And honestly, anything they would want to put in it would be fine by me. I mean come on, if I'm drinking from the Claret Jug that means I won. :)

Claret Jug, for sure, with a nice port for an extended enjoyment.

I'd have to go with the Stanley Cup as well. Even though I started playing golf younger than hockey, nothing tops Lord Stanley's Cup in my opinion. The claret jug is one of four major trophies awarded each year. It takes one good weekend of play to win. The Stanley Cup requires a team to first make it into the playoffs, then endure and emerge victorious from 4 additional best-of-7 series. Guys on cup winning teams look like they've been attending nightly meetings at Fight Club by the time it's over. Don't get me wrong, I love and revere all 4 major championships, but nothing touches the Stanley Cup as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, and I'm not even sure what I'd drink out of it. Firestone Walker Pale 31 maybe? Boddington's? I'm sure I'd have time to "sample" several.

It would be the Claret Jug for me. Hockey is not exactly a popular sport in Arkansas.

As for the drink... I'd have to go with my favorite.. Dr. Pepper!

Stanley Cup! Templeton!

Can we add a poll to this thread? I think the hockey fans here are representing quite nicely.

haha it may as well be:

Option 1: Are you a fan of hockey
Option 2: Hockey is pretty stupid
Haha that made me chuckle well said Dan.

One of my favorite excuses, " I can't ever find or see the puck!" hahaha

Haha that made me chuckle well said Dan.

One of my favorite excuses, " I can't ever find or see the puck!" hahaha

I should already apologize for derailing, but, #BringBackTheGlowPuck hahahaha!

Good stuff. It was an interesting comparison this morning... Lord Stanley's Cup is just too storied to deny it.

I should already apologize for derailing, but, #BringBackTheGlowPuck hahahaha!

Good stuff. It was an interesting comparison this morning... Lord Stanley's Cup is just too storied to deny it.
Haha wow haven't thought about that in years.

I also think that those of us who played hockey have a great appreciation for how hard it is to even make the NHL and then on top of that be able to win the Cup. Not at all discrediting how hard it is to get to the Tour and then win a major such as the Open. Just something about the Cup tough to explain

haha it may as well be:

Option 1: Are you a fan of hockey
Option 2: Hockey is pretty stupid

I will admit that while I find both sports boring, I do prefer hockey over soccer and think it would actually be pretty fun to play.
Of course the nearest I've been to real hockey was a couple of games of floor hockey in Jr. High PE.

Claret Jug. The wings have won lord Stanley 3 times in my lifetime, so that's not that elusive :alien:. I could also get judged and harassed by drinking my jack/captain and coke out of the Claret Jug by people that have no idea what they are missing.

Stanley cup is the greatest trophy in sports....that being said, I have some insight into what has been done to the cup in it's history...and with that knowledge, it would be hard to enjoy drinking anything out of it :)

Claret Jug. The wings have won lord Stanley 3 times in my lifetime, so that's not that elusive :alien:. I could also get judged and harassed by drinking my jack/captain and coke out of the Claret Jug by people that have no idea what they are missing.
Wanna jump ship and become a Caps fan? The Cup will become extremely elusive...... Hahaha

I would have to do a beer Ehhh many beers out of the Cup or Claret jug.

Stanley cup is the greatest trophy in sports....that being said, I have some insight into what has been done to the cup in it's history...and with that knowledge, it would be hard to enjoy drinking anything out of it :)

Actually the history (not related to where its been in terms of germs lol) but the history itself is quite interesting.

The replica which is also authentic is used at the Hall of Fame only when the original is out in the hands of the winners for about 3 months.
The original rings were much smaller and resembled (and nicknamed) the stove pipe.
Redesigned in the 40's
The top ring is replaced whenever a new bottom one is required and is now never more then 5 rings. Those removed rings are then in the HoF.
The original cup (top) portion was retired not so very long ago due to wanting to preserve it from thining and ware is now in the Hof and The new top cup is used since

Many other interesting factors and stories of how many years ago its been left on the side of a road by accident and once also left floating down a canal. The stories and the history are all pretty interesting and just add to the prestige of it. Certainly is arguably if not the most notable trophy in all of sports at least in the western world anyway.

LOL, no question for me. If the question was tea cup or Stanley cup, I'd choose tea cup.

Hmmm...let me think....

Back