Would you find it more or less difficult to strike golf ball if it were moving?

DoubleG

Reaction score
Handicap
Ive had this on my mind for quite some time. For those of you who grew up playing moving ball/puck sports like baseball, hockey, tennis, cricket etc, do you think (use your imagination here) that if the golf ball was gently pitched/rolled to you, that you'd find it more instinctual and less of a mental burden to strike it well? Is it actually more difficult to strike a stationary ball as opposed to a moving ball? Do you think practicing, in some way, with a moving ball may free up the mind or initially help people learn how to swing a club?

Don't baseball players practice by putting the ball on a tee? I would rather hit a stationary ball 100% of the time.

i don't envision a scenario where hitting a moving object is easier than a stationary one.

You'd need a good helmet to stand in front of someone and and roll at them?

A moving ball actually occupies your mind as you are focused on following it so you are able to make contact. It is generally a very short time to think and react. The reason hitting a stationary golf ball can seem so daunting is that we have all the time in the world (more or less) to analyze, fret over, second guess, panic and all the other thoughts that may go through our head that takes away from the focus on making good contact with a fluid swing.

I'd find it infinitely more difficult and even if I could hit it, which is a big if, the margin of error would be much greater.

I played college baseball, and in no way do I think it would be easier to hit a golf ball that was moving as opposed to stationary.

I played college baseball, and in no way do I think it would be easier to hit a golf ball that was moving as opposed to stationary.

I only played high school but I agree. I may have not made that point clear in previous post.

I'll take a none moving object to hit please, much easier.

I don't like moving balls stationary one is hard enough to hit

I'm not referring to a 98mph fastball (thank god, haha). For example watch this golf instructor here from an old YT video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sXqv4Bohf8
Now if it is, in fact, more difficult to stike the moving ball. Would PRACTICING with something that is more difficult train you to make striking a stationary golf ball EVEN easier?

So think back to your college ball days and imagine if every single pitch was thrown to you at exactly 50mph every time and it was sent to the exact spot that you like to hit from every single time. So when I say "Moving" golf ball I'm not referring to a 98mph fastball (thank god, haha). For example watch this golf instructor here from an old YT video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sXqv4Bohf8
Im talking about a golf ball that is gently rolled to you (from the opposite side of the target line) And if Each and every ball was sent to you at the exact same rate every time, well then, eventually you wouldn't necessarily be hitting a "moving ball" anymore, you'd just be swinging and the ball would just happen to be there when your clubhead reached the target line.
Now if it is, in fact, still more difficult to strike the moving ball. Would PRACTICING with something that is more difficult train you to make striking a stationary golf ball EVEN easier?

more difficult by far. size of the ball and club head and moving?? nah....it's not like hitting a baseball in T-ball but if it's easier for someone then that's some outstanding hand/eye coordination.

more difficult by far. size of the ball and club head and moving?? nah....it's not like hitting a baseball in T-ball but if it's easier for someone then that's some outstanding hand/eye coordination.
then would you think it would develop hand eye coordination? if that is whats required to be outstanding at it. Im not suggesting any of this in regards to a new world of "moving golf ball hitters" or a new sport with moving golf balls. it just that you got me thinking now that if you need incredible hand eye coordination to do it, and like anything else if you practice it enough you can improve, then would your hand eye coordination improve with a stationary golf ball during your regular swing?

I'll stick the stationary ball. I have enough trouble hitting it the same way every time that way.

I like reducing my variables. My swing has enough deviation from the mean. Adding a moving/spinning ball would wreak all manner of havoc on getting the ball to go where I want it to.

Maybe if the ball was bigger but the golf ball is so small that I think it would be very difficult to hit moving.

Back