Nebgolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
#GolfIsFun
I've got a number of hats, and after a round or 2 in the heat, they get sweat stains. Tried a few different ways to clean them, but so far they're still showing some discoloration. What do you all do to clean your hats?

Thanks for the help!

I've got a number of hats, and after a round or 2 in the heat, they get sweat stains. Tried a few different ways to clean them, but so far they're still showing some discoloration. What do you all do to clean your hats?

Thanks for the help!
I just throw them in the washing machine; and then let them air dry. I think others run them through the dishwasher also.

I just throw them in the washing machine; and then let them air dry. I think others run them through the dishwasher also.

I use the washer on gentile. Stuff them with a shirt or something when they dry so that the crown stays nice.

I spray the heck out of my white hats with shout or oxy, works well.

Cleaning Hats

I wash mine my hand. I will spray Shout on it first, let that sit for an hour. Then give the hat a scrub with a brush and hot water.

Always air dry. Especially for a structured hat.

like my golf shirts, I don't have any cotton hats left. The polyester ones don't seem to get those stains and they seem to clean up pretty easily.
I'm partial to white hats. I just throw them in the washing machine with my golf clothes.

Thanks for the help!

I spray them with Spray 'n' Wash, and throw them in the front loader with hot water.

I spray mine with the water hose after I get done playing and let them air dry outside.

It's funny this thread came up today, I just washed 11 hats this morning. I washed and dried them on gentle wash and ultra delicate drying. Took them out while they were a little damp and dried them the rest of the way on the counter. They came out great.

I use oxi clean and a bill stay. I pretty much only wear white or neon colored hats so they stain really easily. The bill stay was the best investment i made as far as hats. keeps my bills from disintegrating after a wash or two..

My hats just get thrown in the washing machine then hung on the line to dry.

Thanks for the help!

I use preventative measures when I get one new-Scotch Guard first or many of the stores have a hat version that is the same thing. Eventually they still get dirty, soak in oxi clean rinse and hang dry.

I throw mine in the washing machine and spray them with some kind of pre-treater if they had sweat stains and I let them air dry. Ive heard of some people putting their hats in a dishwasher to clean them because it supposedly helps them retain their shape better but Ive never tried it.

Just gotta get the frame to hold your hat structure and put it in the dishwasher. Works great
9upedesa.jpg

Just gotta get the frame to hold your hat structure and put it in the dishwasher. Works great
9upedesa.jpg

I Jane easy to many caps for that. Front loader washers work just fine, no frames!

I only wear white hats because I hate when the colored ones fade.

Anyways, for white, just put them in a 5 gallon bucket with water and 1 scoop of oxi.

Let it sit for 2 days, scrub the tough spots with a soft brush, then rinse and air dry. They look like new.

It's easy on the bills because it's just sitting in a bucket.

I only wear white hats because I hate when the colored ones fade.

Anyways, for white, just put them in a 5 gallon bucket with water and 1 scoop of oxi.

Let it sit for 2 days, scrub the tough spots with a soft brush, then rinse and air dry. They look like new.

It's easy on the bills because it's just sitting in a bucket.
I do the exact same except for the 2 day part. I leave in for a few hours then gently scrub with a towel. Amazing how much dirt comes out.

I do the exact same except for the 2 day part. I leave in for a few hours then gently scrub with a towel. Amazing how much dirt comes out.
I have always did the dish washer with the plastic holder. might try it with the bucket and oxiclean with the plastic holder hate when the crown and bill gets messed up.

I have always did the dish washer with the plastic holder. might try it with the bucket and oxiclean with the plastic holder hate when the crown and bill gets messed up.

I just put them in as is to soak and towel dry as much as I can then set them out to dry. I put some paper towels inside the hat while they dry to keep the form. Seems to work ok. The oxy is great on those white hats!

For just sweat stains...I fill the sink with warm water and put 1/2 cup of clothes detergent in...throw my hats in...let them soak for a couple hours. Drain the water and rinse really well. Hang them overnight and wear them the next day. If they are stained I spray Purple Cleaner on them first and let them sit for about 5 minutes before I throw them in the sink with the detergent. I dont wear white hats so I dont have to worry about colors running.

as other said, I do the dishwasher, which does amazingly well and has never hurt my hats.

~Rock

I rinse them off from time to time but i keep one for the range and one for the course which make the good one last longer

I spray mine with oxy clean and throw them in the dishwasher. I arrange them in the prongs of the dishwasher so the brim is flexed how i like it so as to not get deformed. Works like a charm!

Glad I came across this thread, as I have a few hats that need some TLC. Any issues with hats shrinking on you all? A few of my hats already fit pretty snug, I'd hate to have to toss them if they shrunk.

Ya, mine were pretty dirty, so that might be part of it. I had a handful that I hadn't washed in a few years.

Also, it's zero effort to leave them in the bucket, so I just left them in there for a while. Didn't hurt the logos/colors/stitching at all. Not sure if 2 days is really better than 2 hours, but it's an option.

As far as hats shrinking, certainly don't put them in the dryer or use a hairdryer or anything like that (they will shrink for sure). Air-dry.

They shouldn't shrink air-drying,

If you are really worried about it, I'd let it air-dry 50% of the way, and then put it on and wear it (hopefully to play golf). That should keep the cotton stretched out and prevent any shrinking at all (might even stretch a little, but who knows).

Back