To pull my hybrid or not, That is the question

choppstixxx

AK Look-a-like
Reaction score
Handicap
So since changing the shaft in my driver, I have been hitting it farther/straighter than ever before.
Which now presents my current issue, my 4H has become almost non existent when I play. What ends up happening is I end up with shots around 145-150 and use my 5i or around 160-170 and I'll opt for my 5W. I just never really need my hybrid that used to fill my 150ish gap, see my signature for my current bag layout. What alternate club suggestions would you have for me if I were to pull my 4H? Thanks

So since changing the shaft in my driver, I have been hitting it farther/straighter than ever before.
Which now presents my current issue, my 4H has become almost non existent when I play. What ends up happening is I end up with shots around 145-150 and use my 5i or around 160-170 and I'll opt for my 5W. I just never really need my hybrid that used to fill my 150ish gap, see my signature for my current bag layout. What alternate club suggestions would you have for me if I were to pull my 4H? Thanks

In theory the hybrid should come in higher and softer than the 5i or 5w. I would keep it around for both that reason and hitting out of deeper rough.

Yea, I'd keep it too. Seem like you have all your other bases covered already. You can use it as a trouble club from the rough or a fairway bunker.

It is always good to have lots of options i would keep it for now

Sounds like I'll keep her in the mix, right now it's been a full time towel holder haha.

In theory the hybrid should come in higher and softer than the 5i or 5w. I would keep it around for both that reason and hitting out of deeper rough.

I agree. I carry a hybrid and a wood with the same loft, but I use the hybrid from the rough and the wood from the FW. FW is slightly longer but the hybrid fly's higher and lands softer.

To pull my hybrid or not, That is the question

I'll disagree for the sake of debate. Why not pull it and throw something like a 64* wedge in the bag. Isn't something like 70% of the shots we take inside 150 yards?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll disagree for the sake of debate. Why not pull it and throw something like a 64* wedge in the bag. Isn't something like 70% of the shots we take inside 150 yards?

I do think this depends on the type of short game you have as well (sweeper versus digger)--I use the bounce of the club to chip most of the time and a 64 would only serve the rare flop shot where I have to jump up high fast. I do see where it would be useful in a steeper type of pitch where you need it to check up quick.

I do think this depends on the type of short game you have as well (sweeper versus digger)--I use the bounce of the club to chip most of the time and a 64 would only serve the rare flop shot where I have to jump up high fast. I do see where it would be useful in a steeper type of pitch where you need it to check up quick.
Yes I agree, as I said for the sake of debate. I would really say it's depending on how many GIRs you hit. If you miss greens then this club would get more use than the 4h. I know people say just open up the 58*, but I feel for us hackers (me at least) we get mixed results. Whereas a 64* wedge is built built like that so you can use the club as intended, with the bounce. I know even with my 58* if I short side myself in the rough, I'm probably not going to have a tap in putt.

Yes I agree, as I said for the sake of debate. I would really say it's depending on how many GIRs you hit. If you miss greens then this club would get more use than the 4h. I know people say just open up the 58*, but I feel for us hackers (me at least) we get mixed results. Whereas a 64* wedge is built built like that so you can use the club as intended, with the bounce. I know even with my 58* if I short side myself in the rough, I'm probably not going to have a tap in putt.
I was thinking something along the lines of a flop wedge too. I don't have exact stats, but I prolly hit 50% of my GIRs and am more of a sweeper than a digger.

I was thinking something along the lines of a flop wedge too. I don't have exact stats, but I prolly hit 50% of my GIRs and am more of a sweeper than a digger.
Idk how much sweeper vs digger effects that wedge as you can find low bounce 64* and a lot of your short chips around the green will be in the longer grass. I'd suggest maybe finding a cheap one somewhere to try it out.

I actually just ran in to this with my 7w. Pulled it as I now have a 2 utility that I hit more from the tee now and it rarely leaves me the distance I needed the 7w for. I only ever used it on a couple par 5's to try and reach in 2, but I am scoring better since I decided to lay up on those holes and leave myself a nice wedge in.

I agree. I carry a hybrid and a wood with the same loft, but I use the hybrid from the rough and the wood from the FW. FW is slightly longer but the hybrid fly's higher and lands softer.
For this exact reason, I would keep it in the bag.

This would be the only reasonable substitute that makes sense. The question then becomes, what are you more likely to run into on the course? A shot that needs to go a long distance from the rough or fairway bunker; or a short sided pitch? I'd keep the hybrid for the first situation, and deal with the second one with the 58 degree wedge.

If you don't use the hybrid at all(or very rarely), I would look into another wedge.
On the other hand, if you can hit a high lob shot with the 58* you are already carrying and don't need to fill any gaps between your other wedges, then I would leave the hybrid in the bag.

One thing you could do is reconfigure the gapping on your wedges. Maybe instead of Gap, 54, 58, got to Gap, 52, 56, 60. Or depending on the loft of your Gap and pitching wedge, go to PW, 48, 52, 56, 60. Seems like a 64 would be at least or more of a specialized club than the 4 hybrid. That and I do not know many mid to high handicappers that could use one effectively. Another benefit of the reconfigured wedges would be creating a smaller gap in the stock shots for these clubs. Also you can choose different bounces that would have one that would be better in the sand and one for tighter lies. So maybe a low bounce in the 52 and a high bounce in the 56.

Another choice would be replace it with either a 7 wood or a 9 wood. They would likely give you a higher ball flight than hybrid, and some find them easier to hit than hybrids. The 9 wood may let you use the 5 iron less for appoach shots, and more for trouble shots under trees, or when you can let the ball roll out more for approach shots.

Just gonna keep everything as is. I really don't find myself needing a dedicated flop wedge, my 58* really works in most cases. My biggest struggle is using my 5i, everything else in my bag I feel pretty dang comfortable with.
I've always liked my wedge gapping at 50/54/58 (which is what my current setup is).

Just gonna keep everything as is. I really don't find myself needing a dedicated flop wedge, my 58* really works in most cases. My biggest struggle is using my 5i, everything else in my bag I feel pretty dang comfortable with.
I've always liked my wedge gapping at 50/54/58 (which is what my current setup is).
Have you thought about getting a 5 hybrid or 9 or 11 wood to replace the 5 iron? They would probably be easier to hit consistently and give you a higher launch.

Have you thought about getting a 5 hybrid or 9 or 11 wood to replace the 5 iron? They would probably be easier to hit consistently and give you a higher launch.
Not really a fan of the wide dispersion a hybrid or wood can sometimes give you on off center hits. I really liked using a DI like the JPX-Fli Hi that I used to have or something like the Cleveland Altitudes, something with a bit more heft but not as large as a hybrid.

Id replace the 4H with a 4-iron for where you want to hit low shots. I took my hybrid out recently in favor of a 5-wood and couldnt be happier.

I'm glad I didn't pull my 4H, this weekend I had a handful of shots where I needed it. One was a perfect cut shot around a tree to hit the green in two. Another was out of the rough right at the pin, but ended up flying the green into a creek :0( Def. gonna stick with my current setup.

I'm glad I didn't pull my 4H, this weekend I had a handful of shots where I needed it. One was a perfect cut shot around a tree to hit the green in two. Another was out of the rough right at the pin, but ended up flying the green into a creek :0( Def. gonna stick with my current setup.

Good plan. Hybrids are very useful for a lot of shots. The ball rolls forever when hit low and they are great in a large number of situations. For me, the 3 200ish yard par 3's where I play regularly and the 60 year old pine trees that line the fairways keep mine in the bag.

Back