Ego... or just a challenge? Either way...

malemotives

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
It's asking for trouble. They call it "Murphy's Law"! Remember those scenes you see now and then... of a golf ball hitting a tree or something and bouncing back and hitting the golfer square in his private part? I went out in a 3-some this afternoon, after my golf lesson. Both were first timers at my home course; One was a golf newbie. So, I'm standing on the green, on a Par 5, after reaching in 3, watching as he attempts to chip on from 10 yards off the green. He chunks it right and it bounces up the cart path and stops on the edge. Now... not only is he on gravel, there is a two rail fence between him and the green. I politely pointed out the marked drop zone, but he decline and said "I can do this." Well... Murphy's Law took complete control and he was quickly bending over, on the ground. After a few minutes he looked at the ball, which was about a foot from where it started. He began to address the ball, when suddenly he experienced another pain, and decided to go to the drop zone. Good decision, the 2nd time.

I've never beaned myself in... er, the beans... but the other day I was off the fairway left, looking at a punch shot or a PW over a pretty tall tree for my 2nd on a par 4. I needed 180 yards to get to the green, and a PW was never going to get me there. pulled the hybrid and aimed at a tree trunk (because there's NO WAY I'm going to hit that if I aim for it, right?). smacked the ball, perfect height, perfect speed... nails the tree trunk and goes straight up, through the branches, up over my head and behind me to my left. Onto a house's roof and lands in the gutter. It was the most comical sound hearing it roll down the gutter and the downspout and eventually out onto the yard. I dropped another ball and hit a nice PW shot to where I should have hit in the first place :D

I've never beaned myself in... er, the beans... but the other day I was off the fairway left, looking at a punch shot or a PW over a pretty tall tree for my 2nd on a par 4. I needed 180 yards to get to the green, and a PW was never going to get me there. pulled the hybrid and aimed at a tree trunk (because there's NO WAY I'm going to hit that if I aim for it, right?). smacked the ball, perfect height, perfect speed... nails the tree trunk and goes straight up, through the branches, up over my head and behind me to my left. Onto a house's roof and lands in the gutter. It was the most comical sound hearing it roll down the gutter and the downspout and eventually out onto the yard. I dropped another ball and hit a nice PW shot to where I should have hit in the first place :D

LOL... yep, like I said, "MURPHY'S LAW!"

When there is trouble and there is a drop zone, count me in at the drop zone. I have no golf ego's.

I'll take the drop zone thank you lol, once in the jewels would be enough but twice? Yikes!

I can only imagine how comical it sounded inside the house!

I had a similar incident a month ago. I was behind some trees but had a wide enough runway to hit a 3 wood (I thought). I made great contact, hit the tree, the ball came back at me and hit the house 20-30 yards behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully that will not happen to me... it sounds painful.

I'm beginning to try not to make a hero shot that I'm nowhere near capable of and just going for the safe shot to move the ball from trouble to where I can hit it better... and it usually works. The other week I was on the edge of the fairway about 150 yards from the green next to a tree. I grabbed my 6 iron because I know it goes 150 yards. There was no wind to speak of and my shot was beautiful. It felt good coming off the club, sounded good, and astounded me when it dropped 40 yards from the hole. I looked at the sole of my club and realized the line under the number was missing. I grabbed my 9 iron instead of my 6.

Very recently i went off the back of an elevated green and into the very edge of a stream. I have never played a ball out of water but this one was stiing so pretty and I did have a place to stand and be balanced enoug to make the short lob pitch so for some stupid reason i though "I GOT THIS" right?

boy was i wrong! The worse part is that I didnt even see much mud at all and was one of the reasons i gave it a go. I figure whats a little water gonna do to me right? WRONG!! a face full of mud in my mouth and spots all over my clothes etc. Only the 4th hole and had to play the rest of the round like I had been in a fight with a swamp creature. Never again is all i can say. But it was a humrous round for the other 3 players the rest of the day :)

I tought I would do this to myselft yesterday... I got to a course where on one of the par 5 tees, there is a road to cross from the back tees, then a road, then another wooden fence.

there were about 20-25 feet between the tee and the first fence, and I tend to hit my driver low on the face for a stingery low cut.... I was scared Sh**le**, but I proceeded to pipe a 265 yards mid fairway!

It's asking for trouble. They call it "Murphy's Law"! Remember those scenes you see now and then... of a golf ball hitting a tree or something and bouncing back and hitting the golfer square in his private part? I went out in a 3-some this afternoon, after my golf lesson. Both were first timers at my home course; One was a golf newbie. So, I'm standing on the green, on a Par 5, after reaching in 3, watching as he attempts to chip on from 10 yards off the green. He chunks it right and it bounces up the cart path and stops on the edge. Now... not only is he on gravel, there is a two rail fence between him and the green. I politely pointed out the marked drop zone, but he decline and said "I can do this." Well... Murphy's Law took complete control and he was quickly bending over, on the ground. After a few minutes he looked at the ball, which was about a foot from where it started. He began to address the ball, when suddenly he experienced another pain, and decided to go to the drop zone. Good decision, the 2nd time.

Some people cannot be instructed by any means other than pain. There are those for whom even pain is not a learning tool. If that had been a competition situation, he would not only have had to count the actual strokes taken, but he'd have had a penalty stroke for the ball hitting himself, and then had to take the stroke for the drop as well (or was that a "free" drop?). If he was on a graveled cart path he should have been able to take relief without penalty anyway. He didn't have to play from the obstruction unless it was inside the margin of a water hazard, or it was defined as an integral part of the course.

Very recently i went off the back of an elevated green and into the very edge of a stream. I have never played a ball out of water but this one was stiing so pretty and I did have a place to stand and be balanced enoug to make the short lob pitch so for some stupid reason i though "I GOT THIS" right?
boy was i wrong! The worse part is that I didnt even see much mud at all and was one of the reasons i gave it a go. I figure whats a little water gonna do to me right? WRONG!! a face full of mud in my mouth and spots all over my clothes etc. Only the 4th hole and had to play the rest of the round like I had been in a fight with a swamp creature. Never again is all i can say. But it was a humrous round for the other 3 players the rest of the day :)

My home course has a small (about 8 feet across at its widest, and 4 feet deep) irrigation ditch that winds through the course. The ditch is dry all winter, but it collects snow, which slowly melts, so on nice winter days when we can play, the ditch tends to be muddy. I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys try to play for the ditch and fail. Usually they end up like you, splattered with mud, and since the ball usually remains in the ditch, it's all for naught. I have played from the ditch, but only under quite ideal conditions when the bottom is dry and the lie and angle of play are favorable for a good swing. Usually the smart move is to take the one stroke penalty and drop in a decent lie.

That's pretty funny mm. I would have been fighting laughing as he was on the ground in pain. And oh boy...

I haven't pegged myself since I was about 7. Topped the ball in to a big rock that was off to my right and it came back and drilled me square in the shoulder. The game is difficult enough without us making it harder on ourselves.

I've never been beaned by one, I've had to doge several though. I'm in the trees so much, I've actually gotten pretty good at the low punch. Still have to be ready to move though.

Some people cannot be instructed by any means other than pain. There are those for whom even pain is not a learning tool. If that had been a competition situation, he would not only have had to count the actual strokes taken, but he'd have had a penalty stroke for the ball hitting himself, and then had to take the stroke for the drop as well (or was that a "free" drop?). If he was on a graveled cart path he should have been able to take relief without penalty anyway. He didn't have to play from the obstruction unless it was inside the margin of a water hazard, or it was defined as an integral part of the course.

You're absolutely right. The drop zone is there because of the gravel path/fence. It is a FREE drop, so there is no need to be a hero.

Back