Update the clubs?

Bennet00

Reaction score
Handicap
????
I've been away from any consistent golf for some years while I pursued other interests. I'm looking to start practicing and playing again with some consistency. I feel I have a pretty good bag set up for a mid-high handicapper, but some stuff is a bit "dated". Any thoughts on picking up some new equipment, or not picking up new equipment is appreciated. The putter isn't going anywhere, I love that thing.

In the Bag----

TM R580 XD w/ Graffaloy Blue shaft
TM R580 3wd stock S
PING G5 19* and 22* Hybrids w/ Aldila NV 85-S
PING i5 5-W maroon dot +1/2in steel Z-Z 65S w/ Cushin
Cleveland CG 10 48/54/58 +1/2in True Temper Dynamic Gold (grooves are still fine)
Scotty Red X2

You have all you need to go play some good golf right there. That said, new stuff is fun. Second half of the year and late winter usually brings out some new stuff, so you might want to sit tight and see what interests you.

I don't think you need to do anything with your bag right away. Your irons and wedges are fitted for you. I'd see how you're hitting your woods and explore looking at new ones along the way. No need to rush. Just get out and play.

You have all you need to go play some good golf right there. That said, new stuff is fun. Second half of the year and late winter usually brings out some new stuff, so you might want to sit tight and see what interests you.

I don't think you need to do anything with your bag right away. Your irons and wedges are fitted for you. I'd see how you're hitting your woods and explore looking at new ones along the way. No need to rush. Just get out and play.

Stick with what you have, enjoy this summer getting back into Golf, if the fever takes hold go and try to DEMO every club you can think of, if something just feels perfect then think about changes early next year when prices drop.

Go with what excites you! I'm a club and shaft ho. Does it make me a better golfer? NO! Does it make golf more fun for me? YES!

My partner is playing 15 yr old irons and a 6 yr old driver - he's a 2 handicap. He encourages me to have a blast with the stuff, but he's into something different. Decide how you can enjoy the experience the most and do that.

Club ho? Do it! Bargain hunter? Do it! Use equipment till the museum asks for it? Do it!

You have a good enough bag to go out and play with anyone. BUT, if you want to update, go for it! Nothing like reviewing and purchasing new clubs to get the golf juices going!

Those irons you got are sweet and the maroon dot tells me you're about 6-3" at least. Nice bag, new doesn't mean better it just means cleaner and shinier is all.

I agree. Pretty good clubs in the bag right now. I'd play some and then think about a good fitting and some new stuff.

Stick with what you have. At least until you fully get back into the game and know you are going to stick with it consistently. Down the line, club fitting is never a bad choice.

Those irons you got are sweet and the maroon dot tells me you're about 6-3" at least. Nice bag, new doesn't mean better it just means cleaner and shinier is all.

I have had someone else assume that, but the weird thing is I am just shy of 6'2". They were fit by the lead pro using the PING fit cart where I was receiving lessons back in 2006. I guess I just have a fairly upright stance and swing.

I would play your bag until you get back into the grove and evaluate what you need to replace

When ever you do update your gear, I know those i5's will be in demand-at least from me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When ever you do update your gear, I know those i5's will be in demand-at least from me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to say something similar, I still can't believe I sold my i5's!

I also played the 580XD woods for several years, it's a quality setup for sure.

I agree. I just put all of my 2013 and brand new 2014 clubs in storage and filled an old bag with old clubs and I've played my best rounds of the year for the past week. I made 4 birdies Sunday in skins with the putter in my sig, which I paid $8 for down the street a few years ago at a garage sale.

Get a "newer" driver and i am always wary of over length irons. That is a common fitting ploy, or scam, or whatever you want to call it. It makes it very hard to buy used or off the rack so fitters use it to basically force you to buy custom. The irons are great, but i would have them swing weighted just to be sure they are not to heavy and maybe have someone look at you without the possibility of selling you more clubs to be sure you need the added length. any time you lengthen a club you make it harder to hit and control. it is very inexpensive to cut them down.

If I hadn't had my clubs stolen when I moved I would still be gaming my same clubs from years ago. But as Hawk said, new equipment is always fun. I may have felt the need to update my woods but I would have stuck with the irons. They just worked for me.

Get a "newer" driver and i am always wary of over length irons. That is a common fitting ploy, or scam, or whatever you want to call it. It makes it very hard to buy used or off the rack so fitters use it to basically force you to buy custom. The irons are great, but i would have them swing weighted just to be sure they are not to heavy and maybe have someone look at you without the possibility of selling you more clubs to be sure you need the added length. any time you lengthen a club you make it harder to hit and control. it is very inexpensive to cut them down.

Interesting.... I have never heard that about it being a ploy for custom. The irons were fit and bought by the head pro (whom I was getting lessons from) at a military course, and then ordered from PING. I sincerely hope that did not happen.

BTW- I just checked out your site. You have some great prices. Next time I am looking to order something, I will definitely visit.

Back