Filming Your Golf Swing

Drogster

Reaction score
Handicap
???
I was out on the range on Sunday evening (after the British Open), with my better half and son. I got my son to video me, using my smart phone, hitting about 10 shots with my driver, as I was having issues with it over the last 3 weeks, but has much improved lately.

When I got home and was chilling, I loaded up the video into an app on my phone, which allows me to slow the video right down to inspect my swing.

I was amazed that I could pick up a number of small details, which I could improve on and hopefully improve the shot. It was great to see my swing from a different view.

I was wondering does anyone else film their swing, in a similar manner?

I did once and was shocked by how bad it looked. It wasn't even close to what I thought I was doing. If I practiced I would definitely do it more but when I have time I choose to play.

I did once and was shocked by how bad it looked. It wasn't even close to what I thought I was doing. If I practiced I would definitely do it more but when I have time I choose to play.
The phone camera is surprisingly simple to use on the course too, I recommend that you do film your swing from time to time while you are on the course, it can be very beneficial when things are going bad.

Drogster, what app are you using to view your swing? I would love to slow down my videos to see my swing positions at different points of the swing.

The phone camera is surprisingly simple to use on the course too, I recommend that you do film your swing from time to time while you are on the course, it can be very beneficial when things are going bad.

Drogster, what app are you using to view your swing? I would love to slow down my videos to see my swing positions at different points of the swing.

V1 Golf, Free, basic but does the job. Although I think that they may be starting to push you towards buying the app. But it’s good to use, even as a free trial to have a look at swing.

coach's eye allows 120 frames/second using iphone5....use it all the time!!!

V1 Golf, Free, basic but does the job. Although I think that they may be starting to push you towards buying the app. But it’s good to use, even as a free trial to have a look at swing.

V1 Golf is very good. You can add lines showing swing plane and control your swing like a joystick. It's pretty cool.

Yup, I have the V1 software, paid for it and it's very good. You can also download swings for various pros and do a side by side comparison if I remember correctly.

Me winning isn't. You do.

Yup, I have the V1 software, paid for it and it's very good. You can also download swings for various pros and do a side by side comparison if I remember correctly.

Sorry about the double post, silly tapatalk.

Has anyone used a gopro to film their swing? I have one and was thinking about it. I have a small gorilla tripod, and could set it up from a few different angles. The frame rates should make it pretty useful.

I use FeedbacK golf which I got to review here. So simple, and so solid. I thought I was going to hate it and it would be a giant pain to review, but it ended up the opposite.

I believe the review should go up soon.

I use my phone and the slow mo setting and v1 golf occasionally.

sorry no video, pictures add ten pounds Video adds 40

I video my swing everyday (V1) as I'm trying to make some swing changes - and video is the only way to make sure your "feel" is "real".......

I'm going to begin recording my swing. Feedback golf sounds great.

Also, Michael Breed has a book (Paperback + Kindle edition) on how to record your swing and how to analyze the video. It's on amazon and it's called:

The Picture-Perfect Golf Swing: The Complete Guide to Golf Swing Video Analysis

I did a few years ago before I took a little break from golf. May have to get the camcorder out and do it again next time I hit the range. I know my path has changed as I hit a fade vs a draw now. Would be interesting to see what else I am doing wrong.

I use the Coach's Eye App on my Ipad Mini, both on the range and on the course. It's a great app and in slow motion it reveals much, as does the ability to "slide" back and forth across frames. And has many useful markup tools and the ability to run side by side comparison viseos. Also available for android. coachseye.com

1910115_10152357427718401_560401091726526746_n.jpg

Has anyone used a gopro to film their swing? I have one and was thinking about it. I have a small gorilla tripod, and could set it up from a few different angles. The frame rates should make it pretty useful.

I often use my gopro and it works great. I don't care much for the Gopro editing softwate. I use AVS, which let's me slow motion the frames. More and more I am using my ipad and the Coach's Eye App.

I try get a friend to take a few videos of my swing every time I go out. The iPhone 5s has a slo-mo video option making it very convenient to analyze what I am doing incorrect. The next step I want to do is upload the video to my computer and draw some lines over the video to see how far off I am on the down swing.

It's always interesting to see what your swing looks like compared to what you THINK it looks like.

Back