PING i25 Irons - Review Thread

I've now had the full set for over a week and during that time I've had the chance to play 5 rounds.

this is what i find most impressive. I keep looking at all the irons out there, AP1, AP2, Apex, apex Pro, but the i25 comes to mind most. Like to be able to find someone near that has some demo clubs where i could try out 3-4 of the irons in the set.

I am very pleasantly surprised with how high and straight I can hit the 4-iron. Much better than any hybrid I've ever used. In fact, I'm so happy with the club that I went ahead and purchased the 3-iron as well. It has been years since I've played without out least one hybrid in the bag, but if the 3 is anywhere near as good as the 4 that's exactly what's going to happen.

Now if they only made an i25 putter I'd really be dangerous.

You're going to love the 3i. It's as good as the 4i and as easy to hit super high. On days it's really windy out here I actually leave the 3i at home and use a 19° hybrid to hit the ball lower, that's how high you can hit these. (I could flight the 3i too but I like the hybrid stinger shot better).

Accuracy is a fantastic observation. Easy accuracy at that.

Just regarding finish mine are being replaced by Ping due to what is believed to be a faulty cast, 3 clubs have what looks like a bulge developing on the back not due to wear and tear. Will take some pics tomorrow.

Pictures as promised, these are the 6i & 9i but its the same on the 5&7. Theyve been looked at and they agree its not from club impact in the bag (i also use covers when not on the course) and its not from ground impact either.

Gotta say though Ping's customer service is top notch, left them with my club pro on Sunday and these arrived on Wednesday.

Now thats quick :clapp:

I hit the 7 iron today at lunch at GG, blue dot, felt good, i compared it to my own 7 iron in the sim, and was getting 6-7 yards more distance

Gotta say though Ping's customer service is top notch, left them with my club pro on Sunday and these arrived on Wednesday. Now thats quick :clapp:

They are pretty fast. I had to send my club back so they could pull the shaft I broke, re-shaft, and send it back and it took no time at all. Good company.

Thought I'd post my thoughts on here!

I've played golf on and off for the past 8 years or so, and the whole time used an old set of Wilson ProStaff irons. Finally started playing quite a bit more this year, and have been really enjoying myself. I split my time between UK and US due to work, and I'd started using a friend's set of clubs whilst over in the states (which were decidedly nicer than my own). Those felt nice, I hit better, and I resolved to sort out my club set when I got back home. So I did some research and liked the look of the whole Ping range, and they seemed to score really well on customer service in case anything went wrong.

I'm not a member of golf club, but rang one up nearby and got straight through to one of their Pro's who offered to fit me in the next day to and spend some time on the range with him. He was very knowledgable and helpful, and said he game'd a set of i25's himself. I alternated between hitting G25's and i25's for a while before settling on the i25 series. They just seemed more fun, like I'd have to work a bit harder to get the ball flying, but it felt a bit more open to different shots and styles. So got fitted up as green dot with an extra 1/4" added to the shaft. Also picked up the i25 3-wood and Driver at the same time, along with some of the Ping Gorge Tour wedges, oh and a new putter. Time to start afresh!

They arrived a couple of weeks ago now, so I've managed to fit in a few rounds and spent some time on the driving range. On my first go with them at the range I kept hitting the ball with the heel of the club, causing it to slice horrendously off to the right. I couldn't work out what was going wrong, I'd never done this before!? A few more hits and I realised it's because I'm used to using clubs a fair bit shorter (I was practically a kid when I got the Wilson's) that I was simply standing too close to the ball. I backed up a bit and WOW, now the balls started to fly! It was a great feeling, I was actually getting a really consistent flight for the first time ever. Dead straight, not a hint of fade or draw, although I could add some if I wanted.

First round on the weekend and the first hole starts you off at the top of the hill beside the clubhouse, the ground quickly gives way down to a beck, before rising back up to the green in the distance about 340 yards away. I picked the new i25 3-wood out the bag and absolutely creamed it. I've never hit off a first tee that well before :D Wedge with a little backspin put it next to the flag on my 2nd shot for a simple birdie tap-in. Not a bad start!

The new irons came in to play on the 2nd hole, another par 4, all downhill for which I started with my 4-iron. That one split the fairway. It feels like I pick a line I want to hit and the i25's just do what they're asked, no questions. Probably added 15 yards distance per club over my old set (they really were old though). I'm massively impressed by the Gorge Tour wedges as well, they're just very consistent and I feel so confident using them whenever i'm within 100 yards. Infact, the only gripe I have so far is with the Driver. I've never had a driver before, I've always managed with a wood, or low irons. It's probably not helped my scores, but I've never had the budget to splash out on one. From the hits I've had with it so far, it's been 'okay'. It's the one club in the bag I still feel like I have no control over, and even when I catch it well, I'm not sure it's going any further than the 3-wood. More practice required with that one I think.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for all the positive reviews in this thread, it really helped sway me towards the Ping and the i25's, and I feel like I've made the right decision :) Cheers guys

pdUMaEZ.jpg

Duff, that's a heck of a good looking kit, and I'm glad you're enjoying the sticks, they are definitely solid irons.

And welcome to thp!

I take meticulous care of my equipment, but still have lost the red paint fill out of 3 of my irons now. It is at least a little disconcerting. I'll probably send them in this winter to have them repainted/refilled...I'm sure Ping will oblige.

Otherwise, I am thrilled with my improvements, as I have gotten acclimated to these terrific irons.

Duff, that's a heck of a good looking kit, and I'm glad you're enjoying the sticks, they are definitely solid irons.

And welcome to thp!

Thanks man! Love reading stuff on this place :)

Wow nice set Duff. I25's are another solid set of irons from ping

While these are not distance irons, and my distances had really not changed from my previous set initially, I am slowly getting a little bit more carry from them, on my best swings. They are already considerably longer and straighter on misfits, which is why I changed, but now I'm getting a little more on good swings. The ball flies high and true, and the wind doesn't seem to touch it. Amazing irons. I almost purchased I20s last winter, and am so glad I waited for the I25s.

Oh, they look pretty sweet in the bag too. On the range, I always catch people looking over into my bag, or people will just come out and ask you about them.

I just joined the site a couple weeks back and wanted to comment on my first round with the i25s. I started playing in my late teens about 30 times per year and was a high single digit handicap in my late 20s with my titleist DCI oversize + golds. Getting married and having kids resulted in an almost 10 year long hiatus. I decided this would be the year that I'd get back into the game. I've bought all new clubs including a 5i to lw set of i25s, blue dot, kbs tour x flex soft stepped. I've also got an i20 driver with the 707x shaft, i20 hybrids 20 and 23 with the 707s shaft and a ping true roll putter.

i was concerned about getting a better players club but my miss has always been a hook and I've felt my DCIs weren't helping so something with forgiveness but minimal offset was what I looked for.

And i I couldn't be happier with the irons, I shot a 93, with awful putting and four disaster holes. I found the irons to be very easy to hit, feedback was great. I knew if my shots were well struck immediately. I used to fight fat shots and the course was sloppy and wet but I didn't hit a single fat shot all round. I tended to miss thin but was amazed that the distance loss was minimal. Once I got comfortable I hit some fantastic iron shots. One was a 185 yard 6 iron into the wind on a par 3 to within 8 feet. Another was a 205 yard 5 iron to reach the 505 yard par 5 18th in 2. The wind was helping on that last hole but I was thrilled with the result. What I was most pleased with was my short irons with the set wedges. I've always hit it long but have had an awful short game, I think these set wedges will really work for me. The fact that they feel similar to each other gives me more confidence standing over the ball. Every club in the set is easy to hit. I feel that I'll be getting the odd round in the high 70s by the end of the season...

I thought I'd report back after having played another half dozen rounds and having hit several buckets with my i25.

Sadly I may not see a round in the high 70s as I mentioned above but that has nothing to do with my irons... my short game feel has not come back yet and I currently have a gap between my 9.5 degree i20 and a 20 degree i20 hybrid. Just picked up a G25 4 wood yesterday to finish my set and hopefully give me a safe option off the tee. I'm long but need better accuracy!

Back on topic:
-I am thrilled with the irons, they are much longer than my ancient DCIs, way more accurate and not much less forgiving
-Wonderful feedback, I can really feel if I haven't stuck the ball well (see next point)
-Thin feeling shots still travel!!! My worst miss in the past was a hook or a fat shot, with these clubs I can think less about compressing and hitting down through the ball because thin hits don't lose much distance, as a result I avoid coming in too steep and hitting my dreaded fat shot :)
-The long irons are easy to hit, they really can get up in the air
-I'm having a bit of trouble with the 7i and sometimes the 8i, but I think its a mental thing with a "transition" between my short iron set up and longer iron set up. I feel some experimentation with ball position and stance will solve the issue.
-The consistency is amazing, I have never once had a shot that felt great not do exactly what I thought it would do. This just gives me so much confidence when choosing between clubs. No danger in front, lean on a shorter iron... a thin shot will bounce short but make the green and a well struck shot will flirt with the flag. Danger in front, hit a smooth longer iron because a well struck shot will always fly within a couple yards of your regular distance. With my old clubs I had way too many "flyers" that would bounce off the back of a green.\
-The feel of well struck shots is just amazing, such nice looking ball flight too!

The 4 wood to close that gap was a good choice. I play a similar driver/4w/3H setup (put the 3i in there sometimes too). I'm glad you're seeing the same "no flyer" awesomeness I see with the i25's as well. It's nice having consistent distances you can trust from round to round, course to course.

Ya the 4w is my go-to on any tee shot that NEEDS to find the fairway. Good luck with it.

The 4 wood to close that gap was a good choice. I play a similar driver/4w/3H setup (put the 3i in there sometimes too). I'm glad you're seeing the same "no flyer" awesomeness I see with the i25's as well. It's nice having consistent distances you can trust from round to round, course to course.

Ya the 4w is my go-to on any tee shot that NEEDS to find the fairway. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on my 4w choice, I think I'll be cutting my Driver to 44.5 or 44.25 as well to get some MUCH needed control.

I'm thinking of picking up the S and L wedge for the set like Hunter. Seemed to work out for him this weekend.

I'm thinking of picking up the S and L wedge for the set like Hunter. Seemed to work out for him this weekend.

They are great wedges. Forgiving yet versatile.

They are great wedges. Forgiving yet versatile.

I think I want more forgiveness in my wedges than I do in my irons. Switching between a few irons sets lately I've noticed my proximity to the hole is better with 6-PW than with wedges, even when hitting the MP-69's. I don't hit my i25 UW often but when I do it's way better than my SW or LW (TaylorMade).

I thought I loved the TM wedges but they just don't score for me.

I think I want more forgiveness in my wedges than I do in my irons. Switching between a few irons sets lately I've noticed my proximity to the hole is better with 6-PW than with wedges, even when hitting the MP-69's. I don't hit my i25 UW often but when I do it's way better than my SW or LW (TaylorMade).

I like the i25 wedges just not really sold on graphite shafts in wedges. I like a lower flight than I get with the TFC shafts.

YMMV of course but my theory after having played these set wedges is that there is a lot to be said for the mental side of the game and specifically the benefits of holding/seeing/feeling something familiar when you are standing over the ball.

I think for many of us on this site a bit more bounce, a bit more spin, a bit of extra grinding here and there etc. really don't have that much of an impact on our ability to consistently make those short game shots that give us an opportunity to get up and down or make a birdie.

Of course, it could just be that the i25s are damn fine wedges to begin with, but my theory is that my positive results are mostly due to feeling much more comfortable standing over shots that used to make me nervous.

YMMV of course but my theory after having played these set wedges is that there is a lot to be said for the mental side of the game and specifically the benefits of holding/seeing/feeling something familiar when you are standing over the ball.

I think for many of us on this site a bit more bounce, a bit more spin, a bit of extra grinding here and there etc. really don't have that much of an impact on our ability to consistently make those short game shots that give us an opportunity to get up and down or make a birdie.

Of course, it could just be that the i25s are damn fine wedges to begin with, but my theory is that my positive results are mostly due to feeling much more comfortable standing over shots that used to make me nervous.

Those are some good thoughts and I appreciate them. For me the forgiveness I find in the PING i25 wedges has more to do with the larger rear cavity and perimeter weighting than something that is familiar. I'm not sure why but the industry as a whole seems to have moved away from making cavity back wedges.

My normal miss is high on the face or low on the toe. With the thicker top line and larger cavity my shots are not as penalized with the PING i25 wedges as they are with my TaylorMade ATV's, KZG forged, Cleveland CG16, or Vokey SM4's (I have a lot of wedges). Feel wise the other wedges are superior but results wise I haven't hit a wedge as forgiving as the PING i25's in a long time. The i25 by far leaves the ball closer to target on misses than any other wedge I played.

Bad thing right now is I only have the UW. I traded for the SW and LW but the person I traded with decided he couldn't live without them and we traded back.

If anyone is looking to get rid of the SW/LW shoot me a PM =).

You nailed it dude, in the end, the brain plays a major role with wedges, like it or not. Good post.

You nailed it dude, in the end, the brain plays a major role with wedges, like it or not. Good post.

This is exactly what goes on with me. I feel like I have to hit the ball PERFECT when I have a traditional blade wedge. I am scared to death to take a full swing with the blade wedge. I know with set wedges that I have room for error and I feel perfectly comfortable taking a full swing.

My short game is literally night and day with set wedges compared to the prior traditional wedge. I am not a high spin player, so the spin never plays a huge part for me.

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to the testers for doing a great job in this thread.

Back