Dicks lays offs all its Pga Pros

I never realized Dick's had PGA pros in their golf shops because it always seems very difficult to get help or even attention from their golf shop staff. That's a big reason why I pretty much only buy golf balls there.

While I'm with you that government taxes are a joke, and they strangle businesses... I call BS here.

These businesses are not paying 50 pct of their gross income in taxes.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

You would be surprised. While its not 50%, the fees are staggering and crippling.

You would be surprised.

I know taxes for small business is really high, but it's not 50 pct of GROSS.

I am sorry to hear that PGA "pro's" lost their jobs, but looking at it from a retail model and what the "Pro's" actually did in-store then it makes good business sense to let them go. we have quite a few Dick's within driving distance of my house and at each one, you have at least one PGA pro as the "manager/co-manager" of the golf section. They were always moderately friendly, but never truly knowledgeable about the equipment/promotions/etc. Most of the Dicks around me also had a hitting bay that was always "being repaired" for some reason or another. So, when you look at the cost of having a salaried PGA pro plus paying them benefits to do minor club work and not give lessons or specific advice vs. having an hourly manager with an affinity for golf who can be trained on grip replacement and simple shaft replacement but most likely makes 1/2 to 1/3 of what the Pro made which way do you think corporate America is going to go to improve profits in light of the reasons shared in the article?

That being said, if the Pro was adding specific value that was relevant to their training (which by reading through this thread doesn't seem was happening) then this was a bad move. I, personally, buy quite a bit of my equipment and have my repairs done at Golfsmith. They're knowledgeable, friendly, and offer advice and service while offering decent prices and have a decent used club section.

Totally agree with you here. I have a Dick's and Golf Galaxy nearby. I'm not sure I can recall ever meeting the resident Pro at the Dick's location -- generally it was a younger guy that readily admitted that he was new to the game -- and if I left a club to be altered the Pro would do it overnight/the next morning. As for the GG location, pretty much the same experience with lots of salesmen willing to help, but even the times I went to try out clubs or seek recommendations it was the same non-Pro that would assist.

As a manager within my organization, I couldn't imagine having what amounts to a consultant on staff that commands a large salary while not directly contributing to the bottom line. While this is a tough move for Dicks / GG to make, it makes total sense.

I know taxes for small business is really high, but it's not 50 pct of GROSS.

Depends on the industry. If you include healthcare, local and federal, sales and payroll along with the rest the govt takes, it can get darn near close.

While I'm with you that government taxes are a joke, and they strangle businesses... I call BS here.

These businesses are not paying 50 pct of their gross income in taxes.

Well income taxes aren't based off gross income (though some states factor in gross sales), the tax rate based on taxable income for corporations (1120 filers) can be in the 35-39% range for Federal income taxes alone. Then when you take the effective tax rate for state taxes (assuming they file in multiple states) and normally it averages out to about 6-9% of taxable income (with the inclusion of Franchise fees that some states charge), and you definitely can get close to 50% of taxable income.

And that's just income tax alone.

Never good to hear about people losing their jobs, hopefully they are all able to land on their feet. I am guessing that most of them were not surprised to be let go. Dick's certainly needs to rethink how they approach the golf business, if at all. I am wondering if anyone knows if the manufacturers have "minimum buys" in place for Dick's. Such as every line of drivers, each Dick's store must purchase at least 50. If they could adjust buying, they wouldn't have as big of a problem with stale inventory.

The pay is a lot higher than you imagine. Benefits were very good. You are way off base and are lacking knowledge.

If that is the case, then I can see why they were fired, especially with the comments in this thread reagrding the use of them in the stores, the lack of knowledge, etc shown by them. At the 3 locations in Vegas, I can say my interaction with them was horrible and had better service from the guy who does the club repairs at GG who is not a PGA Pro.

Earlier this year I was wandering through the golf stuff at Dicks, pondering the Bio Cell. One of the clerks (not a PGA pro) came up and was talking with me about them. Then said "You should come back to buy one next month - they'll be a lot cheaper." Super nice of him to say that, but probably not what they need from a business perspective.

Sad to hear. I didn't even know Dick's had PGA pro's in each store.

They just put a huge swing machine in the Dicks here. The guy said 100k$ or 1 million I forget, either way I've never seen a single person ever buy a golf club at Dicks and it would take hundreds of thousands of clubs sold to just cover that expense alone.

As a person that buys most of their golf stuff online. This doesn't surprise me. I'm 5-6 hours away from any real golf store. Our local golf clubs carry a bit of equipment but it's very limited. Even when I have been in a Dick's or Golfsmith i'm not overly impressed. Can these large retailers not get clubs with x-flex shafts? They never have them on the shelves or to try out. Golfers in my area are forced to buy then try.

As a person that buys most of their golf stuff online. This doesn't surprise me. I'm 5-6 hours away from any real golf store. Our local golf clubs carry a bit of equipment but it's very limited. Even when I have been in a Dick's or Golfsmith i'm not overly impressed. Can these large retailers not get clubs with x-flex shafts? They never have them on the shelves or to try out. Golfers in my area are forced to buy then try.

Having worked in a Pro Shop when I was in college, I talked with my boss numerous times about the type of inventory he kept around. The number of golfer's who would use regular and stiff far outnumber the number of golfers who use x-stiff. His point of view was that he'd rather have inventory that the majority of players could use, rather than have inventory where a small number of players might consider. As he said, he can always order a club from the OEM and have it to the golfer usually within a week or two.

While its disappointing to see people lose their jobs, like many of you here with both Dicks and GG to shop from I buy most of my golf gear at GG as they have a much better selection and much more knowledgeable staff. The only time I buy golf gear at Dicks is when I have gift cards to spend (since they don't let you use them at GG for some reason).

why does someone have to be a PGA pro in order to have good informative knowledge of clubs and even fittings etc? It requires knowledge and experience just like any other trade. But being a PGA pro never made anyone real good at doing that stuff. There is so much differences in opinions anyway. This is not meant to dictate but more just an honest question or thought.

why does someone have to be a PGA pro in order to have good informative knowledge of clubs and even fittings etc? It requires knowledge and experience just like any other trade. But being a PGA pro never made anyone real good at doing that stuff. There is so much differences in opinions anyway. This is not meant to dictate but more just an honest question or thought.

The flipside to that is that the PGA Program offers continuing education on these exact things.

Very very sad news .. Wonderful service by are dicks store and pro that works there . Prayers to them and their families

They just put a huge swing machine in the Dicks here. The guy said 100k$ or 1 million I forget, either way I've never seen a single person ever buy a golf club at Dicks and it would take hundreds of thousands of clubs sold to just cover that expense alone.

What type of swing machine? Is it one of those robot machines that grips the club and guides the golfer through a proper swing?

Having worked in a Pro Shop when I was in college, I talked with my boss numerous times about the type of inventory he kept around. The number of golfer's who would use regular and stiff far outnumber the number of golfers who use x-stiff. His point of view was that he'd rather have inventory that the majority of players could use, rather than have inventory where a small number of players might consider. As he said, he can always order a club from the OEM and have it to the golfer usually within a week or two.

I understand. But they never even have a single club in x-stiff. I think players that have lower handicaps are more willing to pay for better gear. That's a segment Dicks could've used the golf pros more. "I don't want a TM Slider. I want a driver that lowers spin and gives me more penetrating ball flight." That's where you could sell the $300 driver but also sell a $200 shaft. They bet wrong that people just want to buy Callaway and TM off the shelf products. The buying public is better informed now. Thanks, THP, you ruined Dick's Sporting goods. J/K kind of!

The buying public is better informed now. Thanks, THP, you ruined Dick's Sporting goods. J/K kind of!
I'm not so sure of that. There are quite a few guys I play golf with that have been playing much longer than I have, and when we get to talking about something as simple as golf balls, I can break down the differences so much better than them that you begin to wonder who has been playing golf their entire life, and who has been playing for only a year. I credit THP for that knowledge.

I think a large percentage of golfers, as any consumer, buys the expensive item because, and only because, expensive = better.

I understand. But they never even have a single club in x-stiff. I think players that have lower handicaps are more willing to pay for better gear. That's a segment Dicks could've used the golf pros more. "I don't want a TM Slider. I want a driver that lowers spin and gives me more penetrating ball flight." That's where you could sell the $300 driver but also sell a $200 shaft. They bet wrong that people just want to buy Callaway and TM off the shelf products. The buying public is better informed now. Thanks, THP, you ruined Dick's Sporting goods. J/K kind of!

There are plenty of low handicappers out there who play off the shelf equipment though, so it's not even about handicaps in my opinion.

Just pure guessing on my part, but I don't think the majority of golfer's are as well informed as you think they are.

Maybe I'm missing the big picture here , or maybe I have been away from playing golf for too long . But anyway ; I care less about what equipment they had or training machines . The true story here is 500 men/ women life's are literally turned upside down . It isn't easy to find a job now a days , nor is it easy to find a head golf professional job . The gentleman at our dicks was in late 60's .. What is he going to do ? And I was almost scratch this year , and I bought all my equipment from them . So having low handicap equipment is bs .. They had it all .. But one thing they don't have now is 500 talented men / and women . Forget the golf for a bit and think about what they are going thru ? Please

Off topic (and joking) if you're in Gillette, Wyoming don't you mean 5-6 days away from a golf store?

Forget the golf for a bit and think about what they are going thru ? Please
Consensus here has been that it flat out sucks and we sympathize with them. Not sure what you've gotten out of this thread, but if it was that no one cared that 500 people lost their jobs, we're reading entirely different threads.

The average golfer, who actually even buys new equipment, walks into the store, finds the sales rack, says "I'm a 9 degree/stiff guy" picks up a club, does the waggle test and goes to the check out. They don't get fitted. Dicks can sell to that market just as well (or poorly) with or without the pro. That's unfortunately just the business.

Dicks didn't do themselves any favors with their hitting policy. If you go to Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy, they'll let you hit before you try. At Dicks, even after I paid to have a club cut down and regripped (I was on the road and couldn't do it myself), they wouldn't let me hit it without paying for sim time. WTF is that?

This is Dicks, but we've recently had TGW take a hit too. The quotes from TMAG are very telling. Our beloved game is in a lot of trouble. One trend they didn't site is course closures. I think that's a much wider trend than people realize, particularly in the less well heeled markets.

Back