Golf "Enjoyability" Index (GEI) - Check my math, please

nogophers

Reaction score
Handicap
18.7 GHIN
Just like the word "enjoyability" there is no real way to quantify an enjoyable round. Nonetheless, I have found that the score is just one piece of a much larger puzzle. Here goes the first draft with a base/normal rating of about 60. Anything higher is better. Any additions/changes?

GEI = ((S-PS) + (N - S) + (3E - P) + (.2 x (240 - PP)) + EP - A + M - F + (If T > 75, 75-T; If T < 75, T-75) - (.2 x W) - R + C + CC) - L

Where:
S =Score
PS =Perceived Score
N =Normal Score
E =Number of Excellent shots
P =Number of Poor shots
PP =Pace of play (Minutes)
EP =Enjoyable Partners (1-5)
A =Aches and pains (0-5)
M =Mood (0-5)
F =Frustration (0-5)
T =Temperature (F)
W =Wind (MPH)
R =Rain (0-5)
C =Course (1-5)
CC =Course Conditions (1-5)
L =Minutes looking for lost balls

If I am playing with THPers at a THP Event, for me, none of it matters, its the most enjoyable experience possible on a golf course.

If I am playing with THPers at a THP Event, for me, none of it matters, its the most enjoyable experience possible on a golf course.

This man is wise. I've played with quite a folks & THPers have always been the most fun.

Interesting concept. I like the thought. The math would vary by person on how much weight they put on the various inputs. I personally enjoy being outside on the course and regardless of score, if I feel I was striking the ball well, I will enjoy the round. My level of enjoyment will be affected very positively if playing partners are people I know and like and minimally negative otherwise. Perhaps a little more if there is a real jackwagon among the group. Extreme heat or rain will only slightly affect my day.

Interesting idea, personally I've never thought about trying to quantify how much fun I had while playing golf.

Your equation means nothing to me, lol, as long as I'm with good people on a decent course and I don't get any calls from work...I'm having a great time whether I shoot 90 or 120

That made me laugh a little looking through the equation as it would be something I could have seen me thinking about in years past. At this point any time on the course is enjoyable. Sometimes frustrating but always enjoyable when all is said and done.

way too complicated IMO lol

if you like maths.... I guess, but this would take all the fun out of it

You can't really quantify an experience obviously, but I did enjoy your data points and weighting. You've hit most of the items, but if you want go crazy then you could add the quality of beer being drunk and a factor for imbibing too heavily. Losing clubs would be a negative factor to add, but then someone returning a club to you should be about 25% better than losing one is bad.

You can't really quantify an experience obviously, but I did enjoy your data points and weighting. You've hit most of the items, but if you want go crazy then you could add the quality of beer being drunk and a factor for imbibing too heavily. Losing clubs would be a negative factor to add, but then someone returning a club to you should be about 25% better than losing one is bad.

You're using your head!

I couldn't agree more with everyone that there is absolutely no way to quantify an enjoyable day on the course. You could shoot a horrible round and still have an awesome time. Maybe an expectations factor needs to be added...:call-me:

Cost of round, cart girl pleasantness, number of new ProV1's found looking for own ball.

Since I'm not smart enough to have any idea what the formula (?) means, at my age I'm happy to be able to play. May enjoy a little more if I play decently.

Over the next 3 days, the GEI will be off the charts for 40 THPers playing in #THPMC!

If I'm with the right group, I'm happy. Otherwise many of those factors are dead on.

GEI = ((S-PS) + (N - S) + (3E - P) + (.2 x (240 - PP)) + EP - A + M - F + (If T > 75, 75-T; If T < 75, T-75) - (.2 x W) - R + C + CC) - L

Wow! That is some impressive equation
And to think, the only thing Einstein could come up with was a mere E=MC2

But seriously, I can appreciate the enginuity :)

Some things are hard to quantify, and Golf Enjoyment is a tough one. My equation would be much simpler - a combination of weather, make-up of the foursome, ball striking and a couple of good cigars.

I find this statement true: My worst day golfing is better than my best day working.

Quirth mug lost insofar from screaming after a crunching song which flirts along the most narrow of highways. But then, the inside always seems more in a blink of an eye during twilight.

Sometimes looking for lost balls is fun because you find a dozen others before your own. You could probably swap rain for humidity level/20.

Back