Adams Tight Lies Fairway - THP Preview

James (or any of the other folks playing the club) - now that you have had a bit more time with it, have you had any more success with the Tight Lies off the tee? I normally hit driver on most holes, but like to have the 3W as a fallback if it's just not working for me. Unfortunately, there are a couple tee boxes at the course I play my league matches at which are not exactly great, especially if they have a tournament there in the morning beforehand.

I'd love to bag the 5 and a deeper faced 3W, but I can't see myself dropping the 3H or 59* wedge from my bag, and one of those would have to go if I went to two fairways.

Picked up the 5-wood a couple weeks back but with the weather around here did not get to hit it until my first round on Saturday. Intial reviews are good. Twice off the deck with good results and good distance. Three times off the tee (tee'd it like an iron) and twice had really good distance but did have it balloon on me once and end up short. Probably my issue and not the clubs but will keep an eye on this in the future.

Overall I'm impressed. Seems like the type of club that will excel with a smooth tempo and doesn't require one to "go after it" to acheive some distance. Also was very forgiving when I tugged one left that with my old 3-hybrid would have likely ended up OB.

James (or any of the other folks playing the club) - now that you have had a bit more time with it, have you had any more success with the Tight Lies off the tee? I normally hit driver on most holes, but like to have the 3W as a fallback if it's just not working for me. Unfortunately, there are a couple tee boxes at the course I play my league matches at which are not exactly great, especially if they have a tournament there in the morning beforehand.

I'd love to bag the 5 and a deeper faced 3W, but I can't see myself dropping the 3H or 59* wedge from my bag, and one of those would have to go if I went to two fairways.

It can be hit off the tee, the user is just going to have to acclimate to necessary tee height and position, and not get steep. I will say though its definitely not as long off the tee as my other 3w's, it is plenty long for me off the deck. Its one of those clubs where it will be all about what the user wants/needs the most IMO.

Picked up the 5-wood a couple weeks back but with the weather around here did not get to hit it until my first round on Saturday. Intial reviews are good. Twice off the deck with good results and good distance. Three times off the tee (tee'd it like an iron) and twice had really good distance but did have it balloon on me once and end up short. Probably my issue and not the clubs but will keep an eye on this in the future.

Overall I'm impressed. Seems like the type of club that will excel with a smooth tempo and doesn't require one to "go after it" to acheive some distance. Also was very forgiving when I tugged one left that with my old 3-hybrid would have likely ended up OB.

If you get too steep, you'll get that really high almost pop up ball from time to time, I know when I see that flight that is usually what I've done.

I am 66 yrs old, 11 hndcp and have struggled for the last few years with less than ideal lies in the fairway. I played 36 holes yesterday and twice I was able to use my 2014 Big Bertha fairway and did very well with it. However, all the other lies in the fairway were less than ideal. I am here to say that Jman is absolutely correct about the tight lies. I bought a 5w last week and it was fantastic for all the less than ideal lies that I encountered. Ball flight was perfect and most went very straight. The 6 times that I used it off the tee, I reminded myself of what Jman said about using this club off the tee. I teed the ball up minimally and tried to swing the 5w like a driver. It outperformed my expectations.
Thank you Jman for your review and advice on using this club. My handicap will be going down !

I am 66 yrs old, 11 hndcp and have struggled for the last few years with less than ideal lies in the fairway. I played 36 holes yesterday and twice I was able to use my 2014 Big Bertha fairway and did very well with it. However, all the other lies in the fairway were less than ideal. I am here to say that Jman is absolutely correct about the tight lies. I bought a 5w last week and it was fantastic for all the less than ideal lies that I encountered. Ball flight was perfect and most went very straight. The 6 times that I used it off the tee, I reminded myself of what Jman said about using this club off the tee. I teed the ball up minimally and tried to swing the 5w like a driver. It outperformed my expectations.
Thank you Jman for your review and advice on using this club. My handicap will be going down !

This post is full of awesome, I'm truly glad you found a club you're enjoying.

Forgot to mention I hit this at the demo day on Saturday. Fun to hit off the deck but I don't think I've ever seen a shallower fairway wood face. I would be scared to tee it up at all

Will you be reviewing the Tour version as well or just the regular version? I've had a chance to hit both on the sim and not sure which I like better.

The more I read about this club, both in this thread and elsewhere is making me go into serious ponder mode. I would be very surprised if the 16* is not in my bag next week.

Will you be reviewing the Tour version as well or just the regular version? I've had a chance to hit both on the sim and not sure which I like better.

Regular version only was what we got in for review.

Second time playing with the 5-wood today. Maybe a little different than others are seeing but this club has been very good off the tee. I'm starting to see it as a really dependable tool for par fours under 390ish yards. Not really disappointed with the distance either. "Wind aided" hole but still hit sand wedge to the center of a 383 yard par four today after teeing off with the tight lies.

Only one shot off the deck and it flared high and right but as J-man indicated pretty sure I was too steep with that swing. This keeps up and I may be replacing the 3-wood with a 16-degree version.

Picked up the 16° Tight Lies today can't wait to get it into play! Loving the comments people have gave in this thread. Haven't been this excited to game a FW ever lol.

It's a great club, love mine! Won't fix a bad swing, but when struck well, a good friend! Haha Live the Tight Lies!

I'm putting my original tight lies back in the bag till I decide if I'm going to go FW or hybrid at 16 degrees

Where these honestly the 10-15 yards shorter that I keep hearing people claim

It was for me, but I have a slow swing speed. Very easy to get airborn and out of the rough, though.

I have a slow swing speed as well (80mph) and while it is FANTASTIC off the deck and out of light rough, it IS a smidge shorter than the Jetspeed I was using previously. But the feel is just awesome with this club. I love it.

For many the sacrificed distance will be well worth it in return for just how silly easy it is to hit from the deck, rough, and other crazy lies.

For many the sacrificed distance will be well worth it in return for just how silly easy it is to hit from the deck, rough, and other crazy lies.

Yea I've thought that. I got my old one in the bag for a bit while I decide on hybrid or FW

When i hit the 16* it was slightly shorter than X2hot and SLDR but not more than 5 yards

If it was adjustable it would be in the bag

When i hit the 16* it was slightly shorter than X2hot and SLDR but not more than 5 yards

This goes to show how important it is to actually hit things before jumping, we all have our own swings. For me it was about 15 yards shorter, but I really didn't mind for how easy it is from the turf.

Played a small par 3 course and hit this on a 220 yard par 3. I did have trouble with the 16° off the tee. Messed around a bit with tee height and just couldnt really figure it out. After 2 straight pop ups I just hit it off the deck. Going to need range time with it.

Just purchased the 16 but haven't received it yet. I am concerned about the light shaft ,I have a Graffoloy Blue shaft that I might put in it.Would that be too heavy(65 gms)for this head? I have an old 5 wood Tight lies with this shaft in it and absolutely love it.

Don't see why not. Tiny increase on the swingweight scale.

Don't see why not. Tiny increase on the swingweight scale.

Yep, I agree with Hawk.

FWIW though, give it a whirl as stock, I really found the shaft to hold up just fine.

The stock shaft is a great shaft! The only reason I have thought about a reshaft for is to go from regular flex to senior/amateur.

Back