Counterfeit Clubs

Golf 'N Gator

Formally HoosierGolfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Counterfeit clubs was part of the last In Play With Jimmy Roberts. Aired on 7/21. Lots of good info there. Everyone should check it out if you can. Just shows how serious and common the issue is and what is being done about it.

It's definitely becoming a problem in our golf community.

Do you guys associate using counterfeit clubs with fudging scores?

I don't get it, why would counterfeit clubs have anything to do with your score. If anything your score (according to the manufacturer) should be worse not better.

As far as it being an indication of the user's integrity? Not at all, the person may not even know that they are using a counterfeit, especially with how good some of them look now.

Counterfeit clubs aren't an issue if you use your brain. One guy on that show bought a limited edition Scotty Cameron that retails for $1500 and paid like $150. Of course it's fake. Just stick to official resellers or ebayers with multiple positive feedback. Pf a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Why would you? It's not like the counterfeit clubs are giving you an unfair advantage!They are actually hurting your play. Most people are not even aware that the clubs aren't the real deal.

Why would you? It's not like the counterfeit clubs are giving you an unfair advantage!They are actually hurting your play. Most people are not even aware that the clubs aren't the real deal.

Counterfit clubs may not be manufactured to conform to USGA rules. The person who purchased may not even know they are paying with illegal grooves or thin faces.

Just wondering from integrity perspective.. but as mentioned, some did not even realize they bought counterfeits. So, it is uncertain how much buying counterfeits correlates with fudging scores.

Just wondering from integrity perspective.. but as mentioned, some did not even realize they bought counterfeits. So, it is uncertain how much buying counterfeits correlates with fudging scores.

I would think almost all with counterfeits truly have no idea or just really refuse to believe it and feel they got a great deal. It's kinda like when you go on a cruise and think you bought Cuban cigars, no one wants to hear their fake and are happy just believing there real.

Score fudging is an integrity issue but someone who buys a counterfeit club is an issue of naive people looking for a good deal. To many people are looking for that all too good deal. I see it a lot at the driving range where I practice. People will get fit and then go to the parking lot, look online for a deal better than what the fitter is offering, if they can't find it they will go back in to the fitter and buy.

Score fudging is an integrity issue but someone who buys a counterfeit club is an issue of naive people looking for a good deal. To many people are looking for that all too good deal. I see it a lot at the driving range where I practice. People will get fit and then go to the parking lot, look online for a deal better than what the fitter is offering, if they can't find it they will go back in to the fitter and buy.

Thats one of the biggest problems in golf today.

I don't get it, why would counterfeit clubs have anything to do with your score. If anything your score (according to the manufacturer) should be worse not better.

You are assuming they are hurting your play and scores. The manufacturers are limited by the USGA on the clubs they build, counterfeiters are not. So that fake Big Bertha Alpha may in fact be better and driving the ball 30yds further over a real deal BBA. The grooves on the fake Vokey may be deeper and spinnier over the real deal Vokey and be helping you. It is assumed that just because a club is counterfeit it is inferior to the real deal in performance. In most cases I would agree.

Not talking about none conforming clubs. Talking "fake" clubs.

Counterfeit clubs aren't an issue if you use your brain. One guy on that show bought a limited edition Scotty Cameron that retails for $1500 and paid like $150. Of course it's fake. Just stick to official resellers or ebayers with multiple positive feedback. Pf a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Agree 100%. I have very little sympathy for those that get screwed. The OEM's all have warning pages on their sites.

Agree 100%. I have very little sympathy for those that get screwed. The OEM's all have warning pages on their sites.

Yeah exactly, two weeks ago I played with a guy who boasted that he bought his new Cally Alpha driver on line for $169 + taxes, but he was most excited that free shipping was included!!

If the deal is too good to be true is probably is a counterfeit. I really opened my eyes and has me more aware when I look on ebay.

Clubs have serial numbers that you can register with the oem if you type in a wrong serial number does it give you a warning or something along those lines.

what about golf smith knock offs ?

Its about protecting the industry, I couldn't care less if people knowingly buy them. Its just like counterfeit watches, shoes and other similar things being passed off at legitimate. Golf is going to have a tough enough future as it is.

If the deal is too good to be true is probably is a counterfeit. I really opened my eyes and has me more aware when I look on ebay.

Clubs have serial numbers that you can register with the oem if you type in a wrong serial number does it give you a warning or something along those lines.

Serial numbers no longer tell the whole story either. They fake those as well. Titleist said on the show that some fakes or so good, they have to cut them open to know for sure and it showed them doing that.

Besides buying a junk club, buyers of fake clubs often then get a bad taste in their mouth for a OEM because their club will not perform so they lose that customer not to mention the fact the OEM's are losing $millions each year.

Are you talking about counterfeit or clones? There is a major difference between the two.

Clones are another completely different thing. With clones you the buyer know you are getting a copy and not the real thing. Intentional copies sold as real is a different story.

Clones are another completely different thing. With clones you the buyer know you are getting a copy and not the real thing. Intentional copies sold as real is a different story.

Yes, I know. That's why I said there is a major difference between clones and counterfeit clubs.

When I was really young I had clone clubs that were cut down for me. I have no idea if they were any good as I was too young to know

Counterfeit Clubs

If you don't want to even risk a counterfeit club, buy direct from the OEM or from an authorized dealer, preferably in person.

Otherwise, don't be upset

Last edited:
If you don't want to even risk a counterfeit club, but direct from the OEM or from an authorized dealer, preferably in person.

Otherwise, don't be upset

Wise words, if people know this exists and still look for that too good to be true deal then I don't have any sympathy for them.

Back