Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

I'm a 15-16 HC currently. The forgiveness is awesome - let me put it this way...I was not expecting it either, but for me, the Apex sticks are more forgiving than the JPX 825 (non-pro). That, in my book, is pretty darn forgiving! I find the best part of the Apex is the consistency. The dispersion for me is far tighter than the JPX was.

Everyone is gonna be different I bet. I am finding (12.5 hcp, 6 iron 78mph 170 yds) the Apex to be less forgiving than both JPX-825 (not a surprise) as well as the JPX-825-PRO, weird I know. Those 825 Pro's should not be ignored in this mix of clubs....still wondering why I got rid of them (had one bad day and freaked out, oh yeah).

For those of you with a 10+ HC. How are you finding the forgiveness of these?
I know they aren't GI irons but are they punishing on your mis hits?

I've played the X2Hot (Regular) this year and find the Apex significantly more forgiving on toe'd shot and thinned strikes.

After a so/so day with my irons today, these are creeping further and further up my ponder list. I'm thinking recoils!
Do it! My little shootout didn't last long. Apex with 110 Prototypes are in the bag. As much as I love the sound of the 714s with the same shaft, these are more forgiving and a little longer.

I am finding that my usual draw flight is actually less with the Apex. Something I learned during today's round that I will use going forward.

For those of you with a 10+ HC. How are you finding the forgiveness of these?
I know they aren't GI irons but are they punishing on your mis hits?
I'm a little over a 12. These are plenty forgiving on thin-ish contact and a little towards the toe, for me.

I just bought a set today. Couldn't contain myself! Want to play so bad now

All I will say until I can gather my thoughts, these are some bad mothers.

You ain't lying. Usually there is an adjustment period you switch irons, but I was throwing darts by the fourth hole played with them.

My poor XHot Pros are going to be so lonely when we all make it home tomorrow.

You ain't lying. Usually there is an adjustment period you switch irons, but I was throwing darts by the fourth hole played with them.

Can't wait to read about your experiences going forward Donne. As a XHot Pro user myself your findings will be very useful for me.

Awesome guys, I'm glad the adjustment has been smooth. They are exceptional Irons. Perfect for slaying folks at both of those courses.

Can't wait to read about your experiences going forward Donne. As a XHot Pro user myself your findings will be very useful for me.

Barry,

Apex > XHP

I'm a 14 HCP now and find my apex irons the most forgiving I've played. They are long, great ball flight for a low ball hitter like me and they bite when they land.

that said my Saturday round was not stellar with them as I was over golfed and stiff Saturday. You have to put a solid swing on them but if you do they work great. I'm a steep downswing significant divot swinger, I get too steep and go fat when not even these can save me.

Thanks guys, sounds like they are pretty forgiving

The low irons shockingly so.....I used to fear hitting my 5i....now I LOOK for opportunities to use it. I'd almost rather hit it than my 9i. These irons are amazing.

I play titleist ap1 712 irons.
Had the local rep bring in a Callaway apex 4-pw regular flex set. I'm not the fastest swinger despite looking like a big strong guy.
The irons in a simulator were not great I hate them.
Real life? Amazing.
Longer distance like most claim?
Nope.
More accurate than current irons? Heck yeah!
Easier to hit long irons? Yes.
Improved contact, spin etc yes.
I find short irons lower flight that almost looks like will miss the green but spun and stopped.

Longer irons so easy to hit and higher flight.

I keep wanting to feel that super soft impact.
I'll give back my week long loaner this week & try my old irons again but at the moment I'm severely leaning to getting these. I love them.

I had the stock xp 95 reg flex shafts & although I said I didn't get longer distance than current irons they were pretty much equal. Do wish I had the aw but loaner didn't include that.

Quickly moved the Apex irons into my stand bag tonight. I can't wait for my next round with these beauty's.

I'm gonna sound like debbie downer again in this thread - but I am having big probs keeping Apex from going left. I just had a horrible round with them yesterday. I haven't been in that many greenside bunkers for many years.

I'm getting the 9,8,7,6 bent 1 degree flat this week (already did the A,P) to assuage the heel hits but I'm not understanding how the offset numbers for Apex are less then my 825's but look so much more aggressively offset when compared visually side by side. I've never been able to deal with a ton of offset so I'm wondering if that may be part of the problem.

don't bend them just sell them to me for real cheap, haha

I'm gonna sound like debbie downer again in this thread - but I am having big probs keeping Apex from going left. I just had a horrible round with them yesterday. I haven't been in that many greenside bunkers for many years.

I'm getting the 9,8,7,6 bent 1 degree flat this week (already did the A,P) to assuage the heel hits but I'm not understanding how the offset numbers for Apex are less then my 825's but look so much more aggressively offset when compared visually side by side. I've never been able to deal with a ton of offset so I'm wondering if that may be part of the problem.
It's your swing.
Could be lie or other things etc but doesn't sound likely.
I fight a draw /hook normally but when I went to using the loaner set for the week I immediately hit the ball dead straight.
So if a hooker like me tries these & goes straight I don't see how you could start hooking because u have too much offset etc. If that's right then I should've hooked these. Complete opposite.
It's the swing.
My titleist ap1 712 are stock & there apex were stock.

It's your swing.
Could be lie or other things etc but doesn't sound likely.
I fight a draw /hook normally but when I went to using the loaner set for the week I immediately hit the ball dead straight.
So if a hooker like me tries these & goes straight I don't see how you could start hooking because u have too much offset etc. If that's right then I should've hooked these. Complete opposite.
It's the swing.
My titleist ap1 712 are stock & there apex were stock.

Yeah, I hear you but it's happened over a few rounds and I wasn't having the problem when I got home and took the 825's right back out to the range or when I swap back and forth between them. Weird I know.

They are definitely a tiny bit more upright (and longer) than the 825's so I'm hoping flattening them (the way I should have ordered them in hindsight) will straighten the bad boys out a bit.

What I don't get is why, for example, the Apex PW at .120 offset looks more aggressive than the 825's at .126 when the opposite is marginally true according to the specs. I'll take a pic when I get time to today.

Granted, until mid-2013 I was playing Cobra FP's and pre-2008 DCI 762's that both had a PW offset around .100.....so maybe all the offset chat is just me. Meh!

Yeah, I hear you but it's happened over a few rounds and I wasn't having the problem when I got home and took the 825's right back out to the range or when I swap back and forth between them. Weird I know.

They are definitely a tiny bit more upright (and longer) than the 825's so I'm hoping flattening them (the way I should have ordered them in hindsight) will straighten the bad boys out a bit.

What I don't get is why, for example, the Apex PW at .120 offset looks more aggressive than the 825's at .126 when the opposite is marginally true according to the specs. I'll take a pic when I get time to today.

Granted, until mid-2013 I was playing Cobra FP's and pre-2008 DCI 762's that both had a PW offset around .100.....so maybe all the offset chat is just me. Meh!

Is length normal? My titleist are half inch long as that's how I was fit but was hitting heel constantly. Someone suggested choking down & it fixed it.
So I was curious when getting shorter shafts in Callaway how I would fare & no more heel hits which I attribute to shorter shafts. Any chance u have them extended?
Could u try them choking down slightly if not to see if any difference? You sound allot like me normally with fighting hooks & heel hits.

Is length normal? My titleist are half inch long as that's how I was fit but was hitting heel constantly. Someone suggested choking down & it fixed it.
So I was curious when getting shorter shafts in Callaway how I would fare & no more heel hits which I attribute to shorter shafts. Any chance u have them extended?
Could u try them choking down slightly if not to see if any difference? You sound allot like me normally with fighting hooks & heel hits.

I play at about 1/2 inch over standard, and grip down slightly on my irons, just feels right.

I would be careful, I am 5 10 and play standard lie with apex. i can say that the turf action is excellent , no big divots just goes through the ball very well. if you hit them at standard and liked them something had to be going on well for you

So i've gotten 3 rounds this week in with them. First round was terrible.

I switched from R graphite shafts to S Steel shafts and i think I was trying to murder the ball every swing. My round yesterday still had some clunky hits but overall now that i'm focusing on a more smooth swing again, the ball is flying. I'm not shooting bad versus my handicap though. I will say this, before i was hitting my 4i about 205 (with little confidence) and now i'm in the 220 range and don't feel near as much anxiety before pulling it out of my bag.

Yeah, "Normal" per Callaway's website, but they were .25 longer than and .5 degree more upright than the Mizuno's. .5 degree more upright seems like nothing though.

Still gonna have them dumped flat 1 degree and like I mentioned I've already had the PW/AW done and they've been fine. I'm too dumb to remember to choke down on a six iron all the time so that's out.

I've done this to my last few sets of clubs and it just works for me.

Note: During my Mizuno fitting last year for JPX-825 Pro it was suggested I play -2 degrees flat
due to my long chimpanzee arms/short stubby legs or something..........................................
:golf:

My decision is between these and AP2's....

Back