Playing lesson - what to expect / request?

baldguy

Part-Time Sasquatch
Reaction score
Handicap
15.3 GHIN
I realize that what I want from a lesson is mostly dependent on the state of my game and what I'm looking to improve, but I'd like to hear from other THPers who have done the same thing. I have a 9-hole playing lesson scheduled for tomorrow and if it goes well I will probably continue with that type of lesson for a while. It's the same price as a 30-minute range lesson (aside from the cart fee I have to pay) and at my course it should last about 3 times as long (9 holes in 1.5 hours. ish). What do you guys typically ask the coach to look for or help with during an on-course lesson? How does it differ for you from a typical range lesson?

I have never had a playing lesson, but from what I have gathered, they are mainly focusing on course management and not so much a swing lesson.

I have never had a playing lesson, but from what I have gathered, they are mainly focusing on course management and not so much a swing lesson.

This is usually the majority of one for me... what shot are you hitting here, why, what are you wanting in your next shot? If you get in trouble, weighing option to get out, when to go for it and when to lay off.

In mine we also work on putting poor shots out of the mind and focusing on the shot at hand combined with stringing good shots together.

Ome other thing you may find is that its easy to "groove" a swing standing in one place hitting a bucket of balls but it doesnt always translate to the course and that will show up here and hopefully it can be diagnosed.

Ask any question you want, all they can say is no.

thanks guys. These are the things that I discussed with the pro when we set the lesson up:

1) "lazy" setup - getting too focused on the shot and forgetting something in my setup/swing. I feel like I do this and I'm hoping he can spot/diagnose it
2) what other shot options I might have in a given situation. I think I tend to go "oh it's 185, that's my 6 iron" and just pull that club, etc.
3) course management - this I think I can mostly handle already but always interested in a pro's perspective
4) green reading - I'm terrible at this

edit: adding something I thought of just now that I want to ask him about:
5) reading the lie and how it will affect different shots. reading the wind and elevation more accurately. stuff like that. I've found lately that I will hit a shot that I feel was perfectly struck but ends up going long or short by enough of a margin that I must have miscalculated *something*

Those things I know we'll cover at least a little bit. I wanted to move off of the range/practice area because like Aaron pointed out it's easy to groove a swing or a shot when you're repeating it over and over. It's a much different animal when you are faced with a different shot every time. I guess I'm just looking for some additional ideas to throw at him.

thanks guys. These are the things that I discussed with the pro when we set the lesson up:

1) "lazy" setup - getting too focused on the shot and forgetting something in my setup/swing. I feel like I do this and I'm hoping he can spot/diagnose it
2) what other shot options I might have in a given situation. I think I tend to go "oh it's 185, that's my 6 iron" and just pull that club, etc.
3) course management - this I think I can mostly handle already but always interested in a pro's perspective
4) green reading - I'm terrible at this

edit: adding something I thought of just now that I want to ask him about:
5) reading the lie and how it will affect different shots. reading the wind and elevation more accurately. stuff like that. I've found lately that I will hit a shot that I feel was perfectly struck but ends up going long or short by enough of a margin that I must have miscalculated *something*

Those things I know we'll cover at least a little bit. I wanted to move off of the range/practice area because like Aaron pointed out it's easy to groove a swing or a shot when you're repeating it over and over. It's a much different animal when you are faced with a different shot every time. I guess I'm just looking for some additional ideas to throw at him.

Couple of things:
1: sounds good and is easy to do
2: this has been huge for me lately and cody @ seemore pointed it out(mainly with wedges but im looking at more of it now), it was easy for me to say 120yds oh thats my SW and just swing, but he was really talking about controlling flight and spin based on what the shot actually called for. He kept saying, "play the SHOT not the distance"
3. Dont sleep on this at all. I have 3 rounds scheduled over the next 2 weeks with guys who are scratch or better to pick their brain on this. Little things like hole #2 @PV River the tee shot should really be aimed at the right rough to ensure a good approach because of the dogleg are things I have been missing. This also directly correlates with the above. Club selection is course management.
4. He should be able to help with this
5. Same as above.

Just my .02 cents

it's worth noting that the lesson will be at my home course, where I've played probably 75% or more of the total golf I've ever played. I know the course very well, so I don't have to think hard about course management there. I know where I like to be on each hole. I'm much more worried about getting to those spots than picking them ;). So, any help I could get with course management will be diminished at this course... though I will run my choices by him each time to get his opinion on how sound those choices are.

I think having it at your home course could help with the course management, you are so used to the course he might open your eyes to something you can't see because you have played there many times. It will also be a huge help on the greens going forward.

My on course lessons were all about course management. On most shots my teacher would ask me what I was thinking and why I pulled the club I did. Where it helped me was more on short approach shots with clubs other than wedges. You can do a lot with a 7, 8 or 9 iron or even an hybrid from the fringe.

I good playing lesson will not only work on your swing but will also look into your course management. If the course is slow you can hit multiple shots to see differing results. Its not really a swing type of lesson though, it a playing lesson.
I realize that what I want from a lesson is mostly dependent on the state of my game and what I'm looking to improve, but I'd like to hear from other THPers who have done the same thing. I have a 9-hole playing lesson scheduled for tomorrow and if it goes well I will probably continue with that type of lesson for a while. It's the same price as a 30-minute range lesson (aside from the cart fee I have to pay) and at my course it should last about 3 times as long (9 holes in 1.5 hours. ish). What do you guys typically ask the coach to look for or help with during an on-course lesson? How does it differ for you from a typical range lesson?

the lesson this morning went pretty well. It rained on us for most of it, but even still I think I liked that format better than on the range.

The biggest thing he gave me to work on was establishing a stronger pre-shot routine. He gave me some examples on what he does and suggested I try to find a similar method. A way to separate the aiming from the swinging - step back behind the ball and think about where you want to be, then pick an aim point in the distance. Then approach the ball and only worry about making the best swing possible, trusting that you already aimed yourself correctly and gave yourself the correct club. I'm going to work on that, but I think it makes sense and just might help me focus on the task at hand and stop tripping over my own brain.

He also pointed out a couple of issues with my swing. one persistent issue with me standing a bit too far from the ball, and he also saw me make some of my frequent but atypical mistakes. I could feel them happen but could never tell exactly *what* was happening. Super helpful to have someone knowledgeable watching when those reared their ugly heads.

The last take-away was that I need to shorten my putter stroke on shorter putts. That's something I'm going to have to work on at the practice green, but it makes sense. I think I lipped out of 7 of the 9 holes we played... so I wasn't putting great but I wasn't that far off. He said that if I change how I think about speed control I should make a lot more of those putts.

overall, I was very happy with this lesson. It was a lot more casual and relaxed than a range lesson, and I didn't feel like I was getting worn out pounding buckets of range balls. I think I will probably stick with this format until I really need a swing change. I have high hopes for the things he told me to work on... if those pay off then the playing lesson might be the way to go for me. at least for a while.

Back