Ball flies farther in summer ?

inthehole

Holly Sonders Caddie
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.5
Man, the ball seems to be really flying this summer - I hit a 5 iron 198 yesterday (I rarely get it past 175). I hit a 3h 220, rarely get that past 195. Its not due to more rollout on baked fairways (its been wet lately), but mostly carry.

It's really messing with me - I'm flying greens, and it's hurting my scores. As a relatilvely new golfer, I really don't know ... is it possible the same ball I've been using all year will fly 20+ yards further in the heat of the summer ??

Man, the ball seems to be really flying this summer - I hit a 5 iron 198 yesterday (I rarely get it past 175). I hit a 3h 220, rarely get that past 195. Its not due to more rollout on baked fairways (its been wet lately), but mostly carry.

It's really messing with me - I'm flying greens, and it's hurting my scores. As a relatilvely new golfer, I really don't know ... is it possible the same ball I've been using all year will fly 20+ yards further in the heat of the summer ??

Possible? Yes. It could also be actually flushing the ball a bit better as you hone yours kills.
How are and were you measuring?

Golf balls do tend to fly farther in warmer weather. I'm usually a club more in the summer as opposed to early spring or late fall. It could also be that you are hitting the ball better than you are used to.

I agree with JB. You might just be getting better as you play. I know the ball goes a little farther in warmer weather unless it is really muggy and humid.

The ball flies farther in humid air, but not dramatically so. I seem to remember Titleist discussing this a few years ago. Humid air is lighter than dry air, but the difference is something like 18 inches for every 100 yards.

Possible? Yes. It could also be actually flushing the ball a bit better as you hone yours kills.
How are and were you measuring?

Yeah, I think I'm grooving my swing more which may be a big part of it ... been working on a smooth tempo all the way through - seem to be hitting the center of clubface more lately. Just seems like a dramatic increase in distance this summer. As for how I measure ... I always have a laser on my belt (don't leave home without it - at least when I'm golfing) & my buddy has a GPS watch, which is good for measuring point to point shot distance.

I think they go a little further. Particularly if they are left in a hot trunk all day.

Last edited:
I noticed that a few years ago that in late June through Aug/early Sep I tend to hit the ball further. I don't know if by then my swing is more on point and I am flushing it more or if its the air. I have heard different takes on the warmer air allowing the ball to fly farther. In the winter time I have switched to a lower compression ball on the recommendation of the pro at the local Golfsmith. He said the lower compression helps the ball go about the same distance as my regular ball in the warmer weather.

I've heard that hot temps make the ball easier to compress, which adds a little distance. No idea if there is actual science behind that though.

I've heard that hot temps make the ball easier to compress, which adds a little distance. No idea if there is actual science behind that though.

There have been a number of experiments done on this to prove that a golf ball will fly further in warmer temperatures. Here is a Sports Science feature on it, go to the 2:10 mark for the golf stuff:

Yes, the ball flies farther in the summer aka, the ball flies farther in warmer air. I think it improves compression or something like that. I remember reading about that in a product review THP did on a ball that was actually designed for cold weather, and they actually advocated storing their ball in the freezer. I do remember they had an interesting statistic about distance loss/gain per 10 degrees of temperature distance (it wasn't that drastic, unless you are talking the difference between 90 degrees and 45 degrees).

Link to that article is here.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=22358

~Rock

There have been a number of experiments done on this to prove that a golf ball will fly further in warmer temperatures. Here is a Sports Science feature on it, go to the 2:10 mark for the golf stuff:

I think there are two questions here:

1. Does a golf ball travel farther in warm air and if so, how much?
2. Does the temperature of the ball impact the distance it travels and if so, how much?

The Sport Science bit does a good job of explaining question 2. There are also other variables in play besides the temperature of the ball and the temperature of the air, including the temperature of the golf club. The short answer is that the temperature reduces the distance a ball travels, but by how much depends on several factors.

I would also be curious to find out how close to the outside temperature a golf ball generally is. In other words, if it is 105 degrees out, is the core of my golf ball 105 degrees?

Could be you are getting better and when it is warm our bodies are looser allowing for a more fluid swing

The ball flies farther in humid air, but not dramatically so. I seem to remember Titleist discussing this a few years ago. Humid air is lighter than dry air, but the difference is something like 18 inches for every 100 yards.

Isn't it the other way around? Humid air seems to kill distance. The light air, like when you play in Denver, the ball just flies.

Ball compresses better in the warm weather, and our bodies "loosen up" a bit more in my opinion. I find I need a club or two less into certain greens in the summer as opposed to colder weather.

Isn't it the other way around? Humid air seems to kill distance. The light air, like when you play in Denver, the ball just flies.

No. It seems counter-intuitive, but the ball flies farther in humid air.

I used to think this, and i dont remember the exact answer, but i think it was something like humid air improved the aerodynamics of the golf ball, reduced drag, or something like that.

~Rock

I think you are thinking about altitude when you mention Denver. Altitude will also have an effect on distance. Sea level versus a mile high.

Humidity itself is a different factor.

Lets not forget this time of year in many places we also have harder and dryer fairways contributing to much more roll and bouncing too.

I think you are thinking about altitude when you mention Denver. Altitude will also have an effect on distance. Sea level versus a mile high.

Humidity itself is a different factor.

I am no scientist but - Yes and no,
Its all about density and at high altitude there is simply less air per given cubic foot of space. Water vapor is lighter and less dense than O2 and N. From what i am to understand when air contains a lot of vapor it conatins less O2 and N so it the becomes lesse dense. So there is also less of it as well. People confuse clouds and fog and very humid air as being very heavy. But thast really an illusion because we can somtimes see it (like fog or haziness) and also its harder to breathe the same way it can be harder to breather at higher altitudes. There simply is less O2 in the air. Pressures, temperatures and a number of combinations of circumstances play a roll in all of this too so its not always just so simple and basic.

But in general the affect of altitude will be greater on all of this and the ball flight than hunidity will. Temoerature also will have a greater affect than the humidity. But again this also can change with mother natures combinations and circumstances. And i have also read somthing else somwhere ( dont recall and dont know how accurate it is) that said that humid air can also be thought of as being slippery creating in a way less friction and thus a bit easier for the ball to cut through. Less friction from less air and less friction with wetter air would then both equal more cistance. But again, not any huge amounts. Not as much as high altitudes or not as much as temps. Actually temps are a debatble thing as well because we all know how much distance we do lose when we play and its in the 50's 40's and dare i say 30's.

Back