DC MD VA Area Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust me I know, as MDHacker can tell you, he and I used to share duties as the official outing organizer for another group. We would throw a date out, get about 20 "Heck yeah, I'm in" replies. I'd book four or five tee times, and as the date got closer, I'd get one by one "I can't make it" or "something has come up" We'd be lucky to end up with 4 to 8 guys. .

CAA_Beat:
Ah, in a previous life sans marriage and kids. Boy am I missing that life this past year, ha ha ha... I was looking over some old photos of our outings when trying to dig up one for my avatar. I believe the largest group we had was 5 foursomes a Eisenhower and Northwest Park but most of the time it ended up being 2-3 groups. Good memories as we traveled as far south as Mattaponi and as far North as The Wetlands for our outings.

MDHacker

Sooo has anyone played Virginia Oaks? It's around the corner from my Sister-in-law's place and I always drive by and wonder. The reviews online lean toward the negative and I have a friend that played there last year and said that it was all burned out,but it seems (like most of the internet) that most course reviews skew strongly positive or negative.

That said, it is a P.B. Dye design, so I am a little intrigued and just want an honest appraisal.

Sooo has anyone played Virginia Oaks? It's around the corner from my Sister-in-law's place and I always drive by and wonder. The reviews online lean toward the negative and I have a friend that played there last year and said that it was all burned out,but it seems (like most of the internet) that most course reviews skew strongly positive or negative.

That said, it is a P.B. Dye design, so I am a little intrigued and just want an honest appraisal.
I think VA. Vince plays there maybe he can chime in here

I'll believe it when I see it ;)

CAA_Beat:
LOL, I know, I know :D Even the weekends have been filled up for me. The onslaught of kids birthday parties have been relentless this year :(

MDHacker

Condition wise, I don't think VA Oaks is much different than any of the other kind of standard quality courses in our area. Seems like every year some courses get burnt out, but I think that's more of a reflection on the weather here than anything. Haven't played there in a while but if it looks like it's in good shape, then I'm sure it's at the very worst ok. The biggest gripe I have with this course is the pace of play. Never had a sub-4.5 hour round on this course and the last two were over 5. It was enough to keep me away for the last year or so. Doesn't mean I'll never play it again though.

With the internet reviews, it is hard to filter out the skewed info.

Condition wise, I don't think VA Oaks is much different than any of the other kind of standard quality courses in our area. Seems like every year some courses get burnt out, but I think that's more of a reflection on the weather here than anything. Haven't played there in a while but if it looks like it's in good shape, then I'm sure it's at the very worst ok. The biggest gripe I have with this course is the pace of play. Never had a sub-4.5 hour round on this course and the last two were over 5. It was enough to keep me away for the last year or so. Doesn't mean I'll never play it again though.

Pace of play is definitely something that can scare me away. Usually when I play out there its because my wife lets me sneak away while she has quality time with her sister, but im still looking to play quickly. I love Bull Run on the other end of Haymarket, but the pace of play there can be a real killer too, which had me wondering about other courses out there.

Yeah my buddies and I had such a blast so I had to mention it. Not looking good for me for the 17th wife wants to head to the beach in DE for the weekend so yeah that means we are heading to the beach haha

It is really tough to get these events scheduled to reach as many THPers as we can. Hopefully we can get something before the season ends.

TheCrest4:
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'll be coming back from Williamsburg the prior week, be home on the 16th, then turn around and head to the beach on the 17th for a couple of days as we crash at a neighbor's place there. I thought about bringing my sitcks to DE to get a round in, but then I thought I would like to live and not be killed by the wife (ha ha ha)!

MDHacker

Pace of play is definitely something that can scare me away. Usually when I play out there its because my wife lets me sneak away while she has quality time with her sister, but im still looking to play quickly. I love Bull Run on the other end of Haymarket, but the pace of play there can be a real killer too, which had me wondering about other courses out there.

Yeah. I play Bull Run fairly regularly. Trick there is getting out at a decent hour in the morning. Teeing off before 10AM, I rarely have over a 4-4.5 hour round. Some less than that. The earlier the better. I'm not the greatest golfer, but my usual foursome is pretty pace conscious so we keep it moving. Unfortunately around here, if you play in the afternoon on a weekend it's hard to get in any rounds sub 4.5 let alone 4 hours.

All that said, I haven't played VA Oaks in long enough that they could have addressed the pace issues. I'd be willing to play there again to find out, just haven't gotten back to it yet.

TheCrest4:
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'll be coming back from Williamsburg the prior week, be home on the 16th, then turn around and head to the beach on the 17th for a couple of days as we crash at a neighbor's place there. I thought about bringing my sitcks to DE to get a round in, but then I thought I would like to live and not be killed by the wife (ha ha ha)!

MDHacker

Yeah I hear ya man. Luckily my father in law loves golf so I bring my sticks no matter what when we go to DE. Both of our parents live there so makes it easy but I can only do an hour or so sitting on the beach before I get restless and need something to do. My wife says stop bothering me and go play golf! hahah

JonD:
Agreed. When I was still dating and didn't have kids, the 5 hour rounds didn't bother me as much. Now, being married and with two kids, I'm lucky to even get out lately so every minute on the course counts.
Two weeks ago, I played 27 holes at Glendale Golf Course. The first 18 flew as there wasn't anyone that didn't keep up the pace of play (we had a threesome playing). So much so that two of us decided to get another 9 holes in. Well, we got stuck behind a foursome of members there that basically made us waiting on every hole to the point the twosome behind us joined us about 5 holes in. There was a visible two hole lag between the group in front of us and the nearest group in front of them (and I'm sure that went to 3 holes at one point). I watched the group in front and they literally would shoot the breeze on the tee box with no one going to tee it up and with obvious disregard to the pace of play. They clearly saw us behind them and while I didn't expect them to let us through (we were a twosome at this point and keep right with them), it would of been nice if they at least picked the pace up. Ruined a otherwise beautiful day golfing.

MDHacker

Yeah I hear ya man. Luckily my father in law loves golf so I bring my sticks no matter what when we go to DE. Both of our parents live there so makes it easy but I can only do an hour or so sitting on the beach before I get restless and need something to do. My wife says stop bothering me and go play golf! hahah

TheCrest4:
You are indeed lucky!

MDHacker

JonD:
Agreed. When I was still dating and didn't have kids, the 5 hour rounds didn't bother me as much. Now, being married and with two kids, I'm lucky to even get out lately so every minute on the course counts.
Two weeks ago, I played 27 holes at Glendale Golf Course. The first 18 flew as there wasn't anyone that didn't keep up the pace of play (we had a threesome playing). So much so that two of us decided to get another 9 holes in. Well, we got stuck behind a foursome of members there that basically made us waiting on every hole to the point the twosome behind us joined us about 5 holes in. There was a visible two hole lag between the group in front of us and the nearest group in front of them (and I'm sure that went to 3 holes at one point). I watched the group in front and they literally would shoot the breeze on the tee box with no one going to tee it up and with obvious disregard to the pace of play. They clearly saw us behind them and while I didn't expect them to let us through (we were a twosome at this point and keep right with them), it would of been nice if they at least picked the pace up. Ruined a otherwise beautiful day golfing.

MDHacker

Yeah, I see this from time to time and unfortunately there's no fixing a***oles. That sounds pretty frustrating. My favorite is the foursome that drives to every ball together so the three not hitting can watch the one person hitting before moving onto the next ball. Only time I ever head to someone else's ball, is to help them look for it if they hit into some trees or tall grass.

BTW. MDGolfHacker MDGH..here forth :). It's good to see you posting as opposed to lurking!!

Everyone else be forewarned if you play in a group with MDGH, you will undoubtedly be out-dressed :) and he lugs around some pretty sweet mizzy's

Any of you guys tried out SPi instruction locally? I've been thinking about getting fitted for a putter and I'm leaning towards Seemore. I found this place up in MD, http://www.theputtingclinic.com. A little bit of a hike, but seems like a good deal. Looking for some feedback before taking a blind plunge.

BTW. MDGolfHacker MDGH..here forth :). It's good to see you posting as opposed to lurking!!

Everyone else be forewarned if you play in a group with MDGH, you will undoubtedly be out-dressed :) and he lugs around some pretty sweet mizzy's

CAA_Beat:
LOL, you know my theory on that - one might as well look good to offset the terrible golf game :D

MDGH

Any of you guys tried out SPi instruction locally? I've been thinking about getting fitted for a putter and I'm leaning towards Seemore. I found this place up in MD, http://www.theputtingclinic.com. A little bit of a hike, but seems like a good deal. Looking for some feedback before taking a blind plunge.

Marc Fine out of Waverly Woods is an SPI instructor and flat out a great overall teacher. I highly recommend him.

You can find his info on Waverly Woods website. I know it might be a hike a well. But I highly recommend him.

There is also a SPI instructor at the Gauntlet in Manassas. To be honest, it's not that hard to do. For me it has been a bigger stay focused on posture than anything. I used SeeMore's video's to learn.

My favorite is the foursome that drives to every ball together so the three not hitting can watch the one person hitting before moving onto the next ball.

It's even better when the guy hitting walks from the central point they are all parked and gets to his ball 20 yards away, realized he needs a different club, walks back to the cart, gets another club, walks to the ball, finally hits it, walks back to the carts (not like the driver could move the cart to him) cleans his club, puts it back in the bag, and then they all driver back towards the tee to go hit another guys ball they apparently forgot all about.

I'm pretty patient, but sometimes this annoys me.

It's even better when the guy hitting walks from the central point they are all parked and gets to his ball 20 yards away, realized he needs a different club, walks back to the cart, gets another club, walks to the ball, finally hits it, walks back to the carts (not like the driver could move the cart to him) cleans his club, puts it back in the bag, and then they all driver back towards the tee to go hit another guys ball they apparently forgot all about.

I'm pretty patient, but sometimes this annoys me.

It's like we're playing behind the same groups... To the earlier point, this is why I play earlier in the morning as I get older. Wears on my patience for sure. It's a shame my hangover golf hasn't improved with age...

I have to check with a guy tomorrow...but I think a few months ago I committed to play in a best ball tournament this Saturday at Forest Green.

I agree with some of the comments that it is hard to get a group of guys together.....work, trips, families....it is tough.

I also think I am going to give up volunteering at Laurel Hill. I took a new job and don't have time to play there enough to make it worth while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry guys...I am playing Forrest Green on Saturday.

Although it is calling for 80% chance of rain

So I'll throw it out there again, if T2GRN18 doesn't mind me jumpstarting it.

Who wants to play either Saturday or Sunday Aug 16/17.

I'll start with Renditions since that was mentioned earlier. But feel free to throw out other locations, I know we are all spread out. I'll sort through the responses and see what we have.

Yes let's play there

Sorry trying to get caught up from being gone

Sorry trying to get caught up from being gone

Dude. No apology needed. I just wanted people to get an idea of people's interest that weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back