Best/Worst Marketing Of The Year So Far

Like most I say jetspeed was the worst. For the best its Bridgestone. I like the made in USA push from Bridgestone plus their commercials for their tires with the golf personalities are good. Srixon is a close second for the best.

Best: I think it was some 2 or 3 minute video that showed up on youtube for the Wilson Staff Duo (I think that was the ball) (it was a true Wilson advertisement meant for the internet, not for TV). I mean, it was just full of information on why a soft ball can be better. Very informative without sounding like total hype.
Worst: Adams XTD irons with Ernie Els. It's on all the time. Seriously, I learned nothing from that commercial. I have no explanation as to why Ernie is hitting that 8 iron 180 yards or whatever he says. How far does he hit his normal 8 iron? What makes the club longer? He talks about ball flight, what kind of ball flight does it have? What is his usual ball flight? It's just a dud of a commercial trying to sell a club on Ernie's image alone.

Bonus, Most Humorous: I still get a kick out of the Nike Commercials that travel back to various moments in time showing people's unwillingness to adapt to new golf technology. It didn't sell me on their balls or clubs, but it's still very funny.

~Rock

Worst for me is Titleist and the Pro V1 commericals. I can't really stand Jim Nantz as it is, and then him talking in the commerical and them beating it into the ground that everyone fits the Pro V1 no matter what drives me nuts.

You beat me to it. I despise the ProV commercials. Anyone with some intelligence would wonder why would they sell a half dozen different kinds of balls when "the only ball you need" is the ProV? They go directly against their marketing by even offering another ball.

You beat me to it. I despise the ProV commercials. Anyone with some intelligence would wonder why would they sell a half dozen different kinds of balls when "the only ball you need" is the ProV? They go directly against their marketing by even offering another ball.

Maybe I'm looking at the commercials wrong, and maybe it's because I play ProV1. But aren't they really saying "the prov1 and prov1x is the best ball for everyone" and then they also have their velocity and NXT commercials where they are really saying "hey, if you aren't into paying $48 for a dozen golf balls, here are some other, cheaper balls, that we think are good."

I don't like the commercials, they're boring. But I just don't see the inconsistency of it.

~Rock

I am curious why they would spend so much money developing and manufacturing clubs. I don't think it would be a losing battle for them financially to compete with other OEMs. Nike is around a $30B company, and despite being a relative newcomer, their golf equipment business is somewhere around a billion. They just had one of their stars win the Open Championship using a bag full of their clubs.

I guess what I am saying is that if you are going to develop a product like the VRS Covert Forged irons, which by many accounts are the best performing GI irons on the market, why does nobody know about them? To me, it indicates a lapse in marketing.

Very good point! I read that about Rory winning the Open Championship and a story about Nike relating to that. I honestly didn't think I was going to buy Nike as I started with My Cleveland and was going to go TaylorMade or Cleveland clubs but at the time Nike was better priced. Wasn't even really planned but yeah I understand what you're saying. Maybe Nike will push more there clubs. I wonder how many people who doubted Nike clubs before have gained interest in them because of Rory winning? Maybe a spike in sales and maybe not. I did find it funny though a golf equipment site I frequent selling Nike clubs the cost went up between $40- $80 for covert irons sets both steel and graphite after Rory won. I laughed and wondered how much of that win had to do with the price going up? Who knows but it was interesting to me the timing of it.

I am going to go broken record on this....

Best...with a close second....#JourneyToBetter and #BerthasBack

Worse.......Whoever signed off on TM's Jetspeed needs to be fired.

The Titleist Pro V1 commercials make me swear in anger every time I see them. "Your golf ball doesn't know who is hitting it." "Your golf ball doesn't know your swing speed."

Well good for your golf ball! I'm glad the golf ball is the focus and not the player hitting it.

There is no doubt that the Pro V1 is a good, albeit absurdly expensive ball, for many players. That being said, I don't buy a BMW 7 series when I need a pickup truck. I almost refuse to play the ball because of these commercials.

I am focusing on the marketing of the product, not the product itself. In which case, Worst is super easy.

Worst: Titeist / ProV1. The ads which show the count for the number of balls used in a tourney and the ads which try to say swing speed doesn't matter are just terrible because it flies in the face of common sense and, I suspect, hard science. I imagine sometimes this is what it was like in ancient times dealing with people who believed the world was flat. (hypothetical flat world Titleist commercial: "Guess how many mariners have stopped sailing before they reached the end of the world? 10? No, more. 15? No, more. 25? No, more. The answer: everyone!")

I'm on EXACTLY the same page as you here. The Pro V1 ads are actually bordering on offensive to me, because I interpret them as Titleist believing that I and the vast majority of golfers are complete idiots. I've said as much in multiple Titleist surveys as well.

As far as the best this year, I probably have to agree that the actual marketing behind the re-introduction of the Big Bertha line has to be the winner. I'm kind of partial to the PING commercials, though, but that's more of me turning into a homer than the fact that they're super effective.

Best - Bridgestone golf balls. Love seeing Trevino and Couples cleaning the pro shop - especially with Lee's earphones.
Worst - The Adams Irons commercials. Yeah, you hit it long. No kidding. You are supposed to. Els and Perry hitting long balls. Hmm. Makes me want to turn the channel.
I cannot remember for the life of me one of the jetspeed ads, except the puppets. So maybe that is the worst.

Beating a dead horse here, but TM JetSpeed was hands down the worst.
Cobra's "Looooooooong!" commercial featuring Fowler gets an honorable mention for being pretty bad

I loved the Srixon Journey to better spots. They would get my vote for best
Callaway and their "Kings of Distance" campaign gets my honorable mention for the outside the box thinking with the KoD livestreams they held

Even though I am not a fan of the clubs, i thought the best was Nike's "Play in the now".

I think people are being a little hard on the Speed Police...the problem i think is the product, not the commercial. I'd vote the ProV 1 as worst marketing...simply from the fact that if you buy into it....then it trashes their other ball commercials.

Yeah, I don't get the Adams commercials at all. It's as if they signed Ernie, and then took him out back and said "Say some good stuff about the club for the cameras. And....ACTION!"

Adams makes a better product than that.

Yeah, I don't get the Adams commercials at all. It's as if they signed Ernie, and then took him out back and said "Say some good stuff about the club for the cameras. And....ACTION!"

Adams makes a better product than that.

This is so spot on. I'm sure they told Ernie "ok, we only have the film crew for 15 minutes so, GO!" And Ernie proceeds to just blurt out random buzz word comments.

~Rock

Best: I think Bridgestone did a great job with the "Made in the USA" line. Loved the factory commercials, and then logoing some of the balls just in time for early summer/July 4th was a clever tie in. I think it is particularly clever and well sold considering that the Callaway SR ball lines are also Made in the USA, but they haven't focused on that message the way Bridgestone does.

Worst: I guess I will join the crowd and go Jetspeed mainly because they could never figure out HOW to market it. I'm ok with them trying something and it not working, but the constant changes just led everyone to think that the club was atrocious when it was more their attempt to sell it.

This is so spot on. I'm sure they told Ernie "ok, we only have the film crew for 15 minutes so, GO!" And Ernie proceeds to just blurt out random buzz word comments.

~Rock

I could swear on one of the commercials he just says "This new Adams club is...really a great club."

Best Product Campaign: Callaway's Bertha's Back
Best Ad Campaign: Srixon's Journey To Better
Worst: Jetspeed Speed Police

Last edited:
I think people are being a little hard on the Speed Police...the problem i think is the product, not the commercial.
Those puppet commercials were HORRENDOUS!!

Best - Bridgestone

Worst - Jetspeed

totally forgot about those. Especially the one when the guy walks in and gets passed of to DL III and when the hot girl walks in Trevino is all over her.

BEST: Speed Police. I actually liked them and was waiting for more
Worst: Wilson Staff. Nothing more boring than watching Harrington, and some other guy tell an amateur he needs more club

Best - I'd have to go with Callaway... Biggest buzz for a product I believe since the original Big Bertha for Callaway - they did a fantastic job with marketing and using every outlet available to get the message out.

Worst - Quite possibly TMAG/Jetspeed.

Those puppet commercials were HORRENDOUS!!

they're memorable...which is the most important aspect of a commercial. If they weren't memorable, they wouldn't be everyone's worst choice here, so they clearly made an impact. If the product was a hit...the tune would be changing significantly. I guess it comes down to, are we talking about marketing or art? Two different categories in my opinion, and pretty sure you're referring to the latter.

they're memorable...which is the most important aspect of a commercial. If they weren't memorable, they wouldn't be everyone's worst choice here, so they clearly made an impact. If the product was a hit...the tune would be changing significantly. I guess it comes down to, are we talking about marketing or art? Two different categories in my opinion, and pretty sure you're referring to the latter.

They are universally hated, damaged the reputation of the company, and the product was the biggest flop from the company in years. If that's not bad marketing I don't know what is.

I don't think Cleveland did a very good job at marketing the 588 lineup of woods this year.

Love the #JourneyToBetter marketing. I think each individual golfer can find truth to this.

Worst: Jetspeed. Found the speed police to be a bit comical a best.

Back