The Right Knee in the Backswing

BRISTOL86

Reaction score
Can someone please talk me through what the right knee should be (and more importantly should not be doing!) in the backswing (right handed golfer).

My contact is very inconsistent and I think a lot is to do with balance and swaying.

When I run through practice swings I can feel both my right and left knee shifting to the right as I take the club back to the top of the backswing. I'm guessing that the right knee should not be doing this much, if at all, and should be staying relatively square as it is at address?

Thanks for any tips.

The right knee needs to remain flexed through out the entire swing. When you make your back swing, the flex you have in your knee should remain. A good trigger is to flex your inner thigh on the back swing. This will help to keep the knee flexed and keep the weight on the inside of the right foot.

If the knee straightens on the backswing it will change the arc of the swing and cause all types of issues. If you sway the same will happen, issues.

The right knee needs to remain flexed through out the entire swing. When you make your back swing, the flex you have in your knee should remain. A good trigger is to flex your inner thigh on the back swing. This will help to keep the knee flexed and keep the weight on the inside of the right foot.

If the knee straightens on the backswing it will change the arc of the swing and cause all types of issues. If you sway the same will happen, issues.

Thanks Freddie. What about direction of the knee? I don't think I'm straightening it, I think I'm doing OK in keeping it flexed, but it tends to slide to the right, so it's probably pointing about 30-45 degrees to the right compared to the position at address. Is that incorrect, or is there always going to be a degree of slide?

I have a feeling balance is the key thing missing from me making consistent contact.

Thanks Freddie. What about direction of the knee? I don't think I'm straightening it, I think I'm doing OK in keeping it flexed, but it tends to slide to the right, so it's probably pointing about 30-45 degrees to the right compared to the position at address. Is that incorrect, or is there always going to be a degree of slide?

I have a feeling balance is the key thing missing from me making consistent contact.

Once you are set in your address position the knee can't move unless the flex is taken away. It's very hard to turn the knee if flex is kept constant. I don't doubt your are swaying but that knee isn't remaining flexed with 30* of movement

Freddie nailed it.

Jump to the 2 minute mark in this video for a good drill/visualization.

Freddie has said in lots of threads to keep the flex in the rear knee, and it's the biggest thing I was given to work on during a lesson recently. The pro said the exact thing as Freddie, get that inner thigh flexing on the backswing. When I do it right, I can feel it unwinding on my downswing and I get amazing distance and a slight draw. When I don't get it right, it's either a fat shot or a weak fade. Definitely a good thing to work on.

This is my problem too. When I lock my right knee bad things happen.

When I remain solid and flexed good things happen.

Yep. This was the first things I was told to do on my first lesson this summer. Good video explaining it, even if it's just a preview.

Yep. This was the first things I was told to do on my first lesson this summer. Good video explaining it, even if it's just a preview.
Same thing for me when I started up lessons a couple of years ago, this was job number 1 for me.

Back