Best/Worst Marketing Of The Year So Far

Worst is TaylorMade and they have been for the last few years. Product is still good but they sure do seem to be losing touch in my opinion

Best: Callaway they took such a huge step forward the last few years. They are so engaged with the customer and seem to be about having fun rather than a gimmick which I love

I think it was mentioned earlier, but I can't believe we haven't seen really anything about the TP and TPx ball

That had to do with the old CEO who know runs Hopkins. The new CEO plans to put more money into marketing. It will be interesting to see what they do with the Srixon line coming out for next year

That had to do with the old CEO who know runs Hopkins. The new CEO plans to put more money into marketing. It will be interesting to see what they do with the Srixon line coming out for next year

I think a few Morgan Cup participants will have some things to say about that.

Best IMO Callaway campaigns BB, KOD, etc..
Worst TM Speed Police & Puppets

I think it was mentioned earlier, but I can't believe we haven't seen really anything about the TP and TPx ball
That ball is so good. I really like most of the TaylorMade ball offerings but they don't seem to push them like they do clubs. I have 12 dozen lethals I just grabbed as a matter of fact

That ball is so good. I really like most of the TaylorMade ball offerings but they don't seem to push them like they do clubs. I have 12 dozen lethals I just grabbed as a matter of fact

12 dozen??? Holy moly

So did anyone pass the pop quiz? What were the first two campaign attempts for the JetSpeed?

Not a club manufacturer, but the ad for the Tour Angle 144 is hilarious. It shows an endorsement that says something like:

"I keep one permanently in my bag."
-Matt Kuchar's Dad

Speed injected with speed was one don't know the other

THis is correct.

The other was Full Military Power.

When a jet puts the pedal all the way to the metal it’s known as Full Military Power. That’s what JetSpeed delivers.

Best: Nike - Play in the Now. Thought it was funny and clever.

Worst: Jetspeed. Pretty simple choice, even Taylormade indirectly said it.

Beating a dead horse here, but TM JetSpeed was hands down the worst.
Cobra's "Looooooooong!" commercial featuring Fowler gets an honorable mention for being pretty bad

I loved the Srixon Journey to better spots. They would get my vote for best
Callaway and their "Kings of Distance" campaign gets my honorable mention for the outside the box thinking with the KoD livestreams they held

Lllooooooonnnngggg was so bad I forgot about it.

Good call.

Those commercials were good, I liked all in the series. The website redesign itself is horrible. Wish they had spent more money on the site redesign and less on marketing the redesign.
I've been seeing more and more of this design, and I'm sure it's some template that's out there that webmasters are using to make it easier for "pad" people. Well, guess what? I, and probably several thousand other visitors, don't use a pad to access your site. The local news station down here has one so bad you almost can't navigate it at all on a PC. Stuff keeps popping open, it's harder to control what you want to actually see, it's just irritating as hell.
How about a script that identifies your OS and feeds you the appropriate site? That isn't unheard of, or hard to do.

I'm on EXACTLY the same page as you here. The Pro V1 ads are actually bordering on offensive to me, because I interpret them as Titleist believing that I and the vast majority of golfers are complete idiots.

Yep. Every time I see it I think, "Gee, I guess you don't believe the consumer is capable of even a little bit of critical thinking!".

I know the point has been made but I think the Jet Speed ads were stupid and perhaps showed arrogance on TM's part. The Bridgestone ball ads are ok but feel like they were produced in Japan and sent over here. Also I just am growing tired of David Feherty's act. I love Wilson Staff but the 'seriously' campaign seem like a minor league attempt.In fact I think it cheapens the brand.I guess that does leave much. The Footjoy ads at least seem to convie class and quality.

Jetspeed was nothing short of terrible and really left TM looking vulnerable for the first time in a long time.

Yep. The Jetspeed was the worst (though I think it's probably a decent club). I think that the Jetspeed is probably one of the clubs at the heart of the TM/Dicks finger pointing.

As for the best, it is hard to knock the SLDR series. So, TM would have the worst and the best for me this past year.

So, thinking about this while I eat lunch at my desk....
What about "missing" marketing? What about the Apex line? Had it not been for this place, I probably would no next to nothing at all about them. Seems like they came out quietly, and the campaigns went right into the BB line and Sir Isaac stuff everywhere. There's no swag, apparel, nothing. And it's certainly a fantastic club, right?

I've been seeing more and more of this design, and I'm sure it's some template that's out there that webmasters are using to make it easier for "pad" people. Well, guess what? I, and probably several thousand other visitors, don't use a pad to access your site. The local news station down here has one so bad you almost can't navigate it at all on a PC. Stuff keeps popping open, it's harder to control what you want to actually see, it's just irritating as hell.
How about a script that identifies your OS and feeds you the appropriate site? That isn't unheard of, or hard to do.

Its just a horrible design. I access the site on a tablet and its still horrible. I have to scroll to see most of the content, even what is supposed to be "above the fold". Very inefficient use of space that is "above the fold", what is viewable without having to scroll down. About 80% of what I initially see are three images, each for a different article.

This could be last year I'm thinking about but I've always liked the Hopkins commercials. Also gotta say Bridgestone

Worst goes to the Jetspeed and even though I play Adams equipment their commercials don't make me want to buy anything from them.

So, thinking about this while I eat lunch at my desk....
What about "missing" marketing? What about the Apex line? Had it not been for this place, I probably would no next to nothing at all about them. Seems like they came out quietly, and the campaigns went right into the BB line and Sir Isaac stuff everywhere. There's no swag, apparel, nothing. And it's certainly a fantastic club, right?
Irons are not sexy like drivers to most people (I disagree though) if you think about most marketing it tends to be for drivers. People replace drivers far more than irons so I think this is why companies focus the marketing there.

Also I will say I love the Apex and think for what you get the price is a bargain but for your average non internet forum reading golfer that price places them at a premium spot in the market that not everyone will go. As said before I don't think they are priced out of line but many golfers buy things because of price and not because of what works best.

BEST:
1. Journey to Better
2. "Win part of Phil's purse" Big Bertha testing.
3. Mizuno's Heroes/overcoming obstacles outfitting and tourney. Strong narratives and some really interesting stories that I got wrapped up in.

WORST:
1. TaylorMade all around. Didn't see a single thing that didn't just make me cringe.
2. Titleist. These guys own the world and should just nail everything, but they seem stale and tone def.
3. Dick's "So John went to Dicks to buy more distance" ads. Juvenile made dicks seem cheap and out of touch (though they sell many of the same things as GolfSmith and other retailers). Knowing the bloodletting that happened at Dick's Golf makes this more sinister--bad advertising and message was part of their broken approach.

To me, TMAG was both good (#loftup) and terrible (jet speed).

But the best was srixon

Best: Callaway campaigns, name one, any of them. To bring to the customers to the product through events and online....flat out genius!

Worst: TaylorMade, puppets? Really?

Also I will say I love the Apex and think for what you get the price is a bargain but for your average non internet forum reading golfer that price places them at a premium spot in the market that not everyone will go. As said before I don't think they are priced out of line but many golfers buy things because of price and not because of what works best.
True. And if we put Mizzy in that spot, you don't see much (any?) marketing for them either.

Best marketing were the Top Flite Gamer commercials with the cute girl asking about his "balls".

Worst marketing was the Loft Up TM schtick - probably some measurable truth to it, but it's not the be all end all as they project...

Back