Input needed regarding a putter project please.

SaffaClint

Reaction score
Handicap
+2.3
I game an Odyssey MXM #7 and while I love the putter, I'm not so keen on the colour of the finish. I'm considering getting the head sandblasted by a local company and then powdercoated a really nice matte grey similar to that of the SC Futura X. I'm thinking of doing the sight lines white and leaving the sole plate as a bare metal finish so that I can paintfill it with some really cool blue like I've done in my irons.
The input I need is whether anybody has done anything similar, I also need to know how thick powder coating is and whether it'd affect the feel of the club at impact. I've had some good quotes and am giving serious thought to taking the plunge next week. I think I could end up with a very cool, unique putter.

I would not recommend powder coating on a putter. There are several re-finishers that offer a polymer finish which is thinner and more durable for a putter.

Yea? See that's the kind of input I was after. I always thought powder coating was very thin and wouldn't influence the feel or performance of a club? I've never heard of polymer, is it a plastic type product? Any brand names that I can look up? Thanks

Last edited:
Are you looking to do this as a DYI project or are you willing to pay some money and have it done professionally? There are some places that can do this, but living in NZ is going to make it more difficult of course.

OP, I would not DIY a metal x milled putter. I bet you could have a professional job done for a little over 110 dollars. Putter lounge, tom slighter, putter plating are places I would research.

I would look into DuraCoat. I use it on all of my firearms.

Duracoat is a brand I keep coming across and would be tempted to try. Ideally I'd send it to a pro but the price and amount of time involved shipping it internationally are a major deterrent.

SaffaClint, this might not help you but if you're interested in Duracoat, I believe it comes in a spray can... looking on brownells.com I see that it indeed does come in a spray can. Not sure of what colors are available but from everything I hear about Duracoat, you can do it yourself. People have been duracoating their firearms with it since it came out and reports are good on the reliability and toughness of the finish.

If you are going to apply any type od paint/polymer finish on the head, I would not apply it to the face. That chemical milling on the face could easily be filled in and effect the roll and feel of that putter. I would sand blast, tape off the face, and then finish the head in whatever finish you want. That way you keep that soft, responsive feel and proper roll.

If you are going to apply any type od paint/polymer finish on the head, I would not apply it to the face. That chemical milling on the face could easily be filled in and effect the roll and feel of that putter. I would sand blast, tape off the face, and then finish the head in whatever finish you want. That way you keep that soft, responsive feel and proper roll.

Good thinking!!! Thank you

Back