How do you guys handle this??

ncsuhunter

#MAKEADIFFERENCE
Reaction score
So tonight we played a course that I've only seen once and we played from the blue tees (not the championship tees). For the life of me I could not get off the tee box. I felt like I was really quick from the top of my swing through impact when on the tee box. No rhythm at all. Result, duck hook after duck hook. I shot an 88 which considering was better then I expected. My irons were spot on and crisp with a nice little draw, not a hook. So do I chalk it up to playing the back tees and just thinking I needed to get more off the tee resulting in overswinging? I plan to start playing the back tees for a while to try and remedy this. What do you guys do when your tempo is a little off to try and get it back? I typically like to have a little range time before we play but we were already running a little late so I didn't have time. Is there anything I can do on the course to settle my tempo down when this happens? As goods as my ball striking was with my irons it sucks to think about what could have been if I could have just gotten off the tee a little bit.

So tonight we played a course that I've only seen once and we played from the blue tees (not the championship tees). For the life of me I could not get off the tee box. I felt like I was really quick from the top of my swing through impact when on the tee box. No rhythm at all. Result, duck hook after duck hook. I shot an 88 which considering was better then I expected. My irons were spot on and crisp with a nice little draw, not a hook. So do I chalk it up to playing the back tees and just thinking I needed to get more off the tee resulting in overswinging? I plan to start playing the back tees for a while to try and remedy this. What do you guys do when your tempo is a little off to try and get it back? I typically like to have a little range time before we play but we were already running a little late so I didn't have time. Is there anything I can do on the course to settle my tempo down when this happens? As goods as my ball striking was with my irons it sucks to think about what could have been if I could have just gotten off the tee a little bit.
I rarely take practice swings. What you described above happens to me quite a bit. And two things I do try to do in a practice swing when it does happen; are to really get that left shoulder under my chin at the top of the backswing...and then try to hold it there for a split second deliberately letting my lower body start the downswing. It doesn't always work, but I've had more success with that than anything else I tried.

Last edited:
Quick from the top is one of the top 3 swing killers, esp for guys IMO (the other 2 being swaying/weight staying on back foot, and peeking/lifting off the ball). There are many 'thoughts' players develop to combat quickness. Find out which ones work best for you. For me, mine are

Swing like an old lady
Pause at the top
Balanced full follow through

When I get quick things go bad and in a hurry. One thing my instructor told me to think about when I feel myself getting quick is "Low, Slow, THEN Go" Just try and focus on keeping the club low to the ground with a slow take away then start your down swing. It seems to help for me as I haven't had rounds where I'm quick the entire round. I've had shots here and there where I get quick with the tempo, but I've gotten much, much better at it.

When I get quick things go back and in a hurry. One thing my instructor told me to think about when I feel myself getting quick is "Low, Slow, THEN Go" Just try and focus on keeping the club low to the ground with a slow take away then start your down swing. It seems to help for me as I haven't had rounds where I'm quick the entire round. I've had shots here and there where I get quick with the tempo, but I've gotten much, much better at it.

Yes you have dude, that swing is gorgeous.

I'm adopting WCHM's tempo thought, "God Save the Queen", freaking brilliant.

Yes you have dude, that swing is gorgeous.

I'm adopting WCHM's tempo thought, "God Save the Queen", freaking brilliant.

Thanks brosif! I'm definitely happy with where it's at! And yes agreed. Nothing better than watching Marc's smooooooth swing and it God Save the Queen works for him I'm stealing it too!

If your irons were on why not use one off the tee? Pick a spot in the fairway just like an approach shot and hit your target. A long approach from the fairway is better than dead in the trees. For me that helps my tempo as well.

If your irons were on why not use one off the tee? Pick a spot in the fairway just like an approach shot and hit your target. A long approach from the fairway is better than dead in the trees. For me that helps my tempo as well.

Because that would make absolutely too much sense! :banghead: Honestly that's probably what I should have done. I think some of it was mental as we were playing the longer tees and mentally I'm telling myself that I've got to go after it EVERY time off the tee box instead of just being smooth. Getting quick is my nemesis. It's ok if it pops up for whatever reason but yesterday was all day off the tee. The one or two holes I forced myself to ease up the ball was piped down the middle. Just couldn't focus enough to do it consistently. It's coming...It'll all come together sooner or later.

Pretend your under water on the back swing. Works for me.

When I play, I try to keep my mind off my swing if that makes any sense. I don't want to be thinking about my swing while I'm playing. I often have a song in my head or music going to help me focus on something other than my swing.

Granted if I make a series of bad swings I just run through some check points, but overall I try to keep my swing thoughts on the driving range.

When I get quick things go bad and in a hurry. One thing my instructor told me to think about when I feel myself getting quick is "Low, Slow, THEN Go" Just try and focus on keeping the club low to the ground with a slow take away then start your down swing. It seems to help for me as I haven't had rounds where I'm quick the entire round. I've had shots here and there where I get quick with the tempo, but I've gotten much, much better at it.

What's interesting, my instructor follows Haney's method on this, when things are going bad, pick the club up faster so it doesn't get stuck behind. Just interesting really.

What's interesting, my instructor follows Haney's method on this, when things are going bad, pick the club up faster so it doesn't get stuck behind. Just interesting really.

It's amazing how different we all are and how different instructors have different methods. And when I get quick it's not the upper body that gets stuck behind. When I get quick I go all arms and swing about 150mph.

When I get too quick in tempo, I just make an effort to 'widen' or 'broaden' my backswing. When I get too quick, I tend to set the club and wrap it around my body too quickly, rather than a nice slow, wide arc.

That's what works for me, but that's because it is the opposite of what causes my quick tempo.

~Rock

I have never had the problem with hooks, but I can attribute that to my swing. My miss is always a push fade. And I do notice that tends to come more in to play when I think I need to hit the ball further. The only thought I like to have in my head when I am swinging is my tempo. I just try to emulate someone like Couples.

Swallow my pride and hit an iron off the tee. Some days are like that. It does give you a different look at the golf course and it may help you score better because of it.

The first thing I NEVER do is play from back tees. I've played in foursomes where three insisted on playing from the back. Fine with me. I let them hit (or miss) and then took my rightful place on the mid tee box. That said... when my Driver​ is off I switch to my 3 or 4 iron off the tee. I never go more than to tee boxes before switching.

I have been there more times than I care to remember. I rarely play back but on courses I'm not familiar with it get aggressive with the driver which gets my tempo out of whack. I focus on a slower than normal takeaway on my practices swing and then take what I feel is a slower transition than what I was doing. My swing thought when tempo goes is to swing like I have a wedge in my hand

Exactly how I do it. If I have a problem club on the tee, I give it a couple chances. Sure, everyone makes a bad shot on the tee sometimes. But if the club is repeatedly a problem during a round, I move down to the longest club I am hitting reasonably well that day. This is also part of why I love hybrid clubs. A hybrid can be really good from the tee, and you can drop to your 19 or 21 hybrid and do fine still.

Getting quick happens to me especially when I press for a score

To get back on track I play target golf pick my line, pick a spot I want to land, if I can't see the landing area I pick a target to carry.

I also think about swinging driver like my 6i or even the 4i where a easy smooth swing putts the ball on target and gives me the distance I want.

I practice at the range by clubbing up two clubs, say hitting a 6 iron but trying to hit it 8 iron distance. Then with driver, I'll try to do similar in only hitting it 5w distance. Of course, the easy swing usually results in scorched shots.

On the course if I get a little quick at first opportunity, say a lay-up on a par 5, I'll do the same. All the while trying to throttle back on driver. For me, I only get quick when my subconscious views driver as an infinity club rather than settling for adequate distance.

So do I chalk it up to playing the back tees and just thinking I needed to get more off the tee resulting in overswinging? I plan to start playing the back tees for a while to try and remedy this. What do you guys do when your tempo is a little off to try and get it back? I typically like to have a little range time before we play but we were already running a little late so I didn't have time. Is there anything I can do on the course to settle my tempo down when this happens?

I would say yes, you were probably over swinging to try to make up for the back tees.
When I get a little off tempo, I usually get quick at the top. I don't finish the backswing before going forward.
To remedy this, I start thinking of my swing to be like this. . . . One...and....Two.
One is the club going back.
And gives me the slight pause at the top.
Two is the club firing down and through the ball.

I take this in a different light. I say "you guys go ahead and tee off first, then I'll tee off from the whites".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back