What Comes First? Rory vs Tiger

I would bet heavily that Tiger doesn't win another major, so that alone makes me take Rory. On top of that, I think Rory is the best golfer in the world right now, and will almost certainly be the vegas favorite to win unless due to injury, Bubba getting hot again, or him and Caroline getting back together again.

Tiger is always a few swings away from amazing golf. He is a few putts away from lapping the field. The 35' putts and 10' will fall again to many's delights. Because of this it's hard to not pick him at Augusta. But each year I think he does it, it doesn't happen. There has been more disappointment then edge of my seat lately. So I'm going with Tiger on sheer fandom. I want to see him get back and watch him and Rors slug it out before Rors takes the torch as the next great player

I'm not being argumentative here but I recall reading somewhere - maybe the Haney book - that post course changes it doesn't set up well for him because several holes were lengthened to bring certain trouble into play and change the shape of shots required (more draws, I think, which is not in his happy zone).

It was the Haney book. Slowly making my way through it right now. Haney's basic opinion was that the changes to the Masters course forced Tiger to hit driver more often. Especially if he wanted to take advantage of the Par 5's. According to Haney the driver & Tiger have not been friends for pretty much a decade so couple that with the fact his Foley swing now relies on more of a left to right ball flight and things have really changed for him in the long game at Augusta. Haney also makes the case that Tiger was beginning to lose his invincibility on fast greens inside 6-feet as far back as 2007 which is also a very important skill to have at Augusta. If Haney's opinions are on the mark (recent history seems to support it) I can definitely see where any edge Tiger has at the Masters in now more about his experience playing the course than about his game fitting the course.

As to the question at hand I still pick Tiger. He has 4 opportunities a year and Rory (who tends to be streaky anyway) has one. I have my doubts about Tiger getting to 19 majors but I really hope he can be win on the biggest stage again and be major championship relevant for a while yet. 5-6 years of potential Tiger vs. Rory battles in the majors would be really good for the game.

I will reluctantly say Tiger since he has 4 times the chances to win, theoretically.

I too go with Rory, I know that Tiger is capable of winning one more major but I think the combination of past injuries and self imposed pressure will probably prevent him from winning another.

Before the British I would have wondered if Rory could get over the mental baggage he has at Augusta, but while thats still a concern he showed me something on Saturday when Fowler tied for the lead (and of course finishing on Sunday too). I like Rory to do it, but its a close call. Tiger is such a wildcard right now. I really have no idea what to expect of him in the next 2-3 years.

I'll take Rory.. I think Tiger will eventually win another major, but considering where they both are health wise and the state of their games - Rory wins the Masters before Tiger wins a major.

I will go with Rory since I don't think Tiger will win another major

I'll take Rory!

Good question. My gut tells me to take Rory, but I think once Tiger is a solid year removed from his surgery he'll start to get back to 100%. You can't deny the guy has the drive and determination. Still...my bet would be with Rory.

Rory I think by a landslide.

I really want Tiger to win but I think the momentum, youth and fire will get Rory there first.

Yep, rory will win first. I just haven't seen any signs of life for Tiger in several years. Not that he hasn't played some great golf, obviously had wins last year, but he just hasn't put 4 good rounds together in a major since 'the incident.'

~Rock

Rory, 110%. Tiger is looking pretty washed up at the moment, though, being Tiger, he could definitely turn it around. But I think his brain is all kinds of screwed up right now.

These are by far my two favorite players to watch. Rory is the most talented player on tour right now in my opinion; his game is complete and when he is on and mentally focused he is an impressive player to watch. All that said, Tiger is probably the best grinder that ever lived, turning bad rounds into manageable scores. I think he's still got some gas in the tank mentally and can claw out a major win before Rory completes the career Grand Slam. Especially if he can find a serviceable driver shot, because his iron game is still elite.

I don't think Tiger will win another major, so I'm going with Rory winning the Masters first.

Those of you base at least part of your decision on Tiger having 4 chances to 1 might want to consider this, at least over the near term. The Masters is 1 of the next 2 majors, and 2 of the next 6. You can make can argument not to include the PGA next week in the odds since Tiger is not showing any signs of being really competitive in a major that quickly. So really over the near term Rory is 2 of 5. Evens out after that, but Tiger is 2 years older, and even further removed from winning one.

As a golf fan I do hope Tiger wins, and Rory gets the career slam soon. Golf is better when Tiger is playing well, and Rory would be a good foil to battle. Right now my bet would be Rory wins the Masters before Tiger gets a major though.

The odds say it's Tiger in a slam dunk. 4 chances in a year versus 1 chance a year. Augusta does not favor right handed golfers, and there currently is a dominant lefty with two green jackets that should be a major factor at Augusta. It may well be that neither happens, but I'll take the odds and say Tiger will win.

I'd back Rory - just whether his putting can live up to the greens at Augusta

At this point in the game I think Rory is the better golfer, and Rory will win another major before Tiger wins another one. However, to specifically win the Masters would be very tough, there are always several people who are just "on" during the Masters and there are surprises near the top of the leaderboard. I do believe Rory will win a Masters but I just don't think it will happen before Tiger gets at least one more major, and I believe he will get just one more sometime before he retires.

I'll take Rory, till Tiger can figure out his driver for four straight rounds, its not much of a contest

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure Tiger will win another major. He may arguably be the best scrambler ever, but I think you have to consistently hit fairways off the tee to win major championships. Until he gets Nike to build him a driver that he can control, he's always going to be scrambling for pars and birdies!

who cares what tiger does, just saying. tigers done winning majors, prolly wouldve done it by now if he wouldnt have made all those awesome decisions while married. that whole show took him out of the running. evryones to good now, its not about tiger anymore.

who cares what tiger does, just saying. tigers done winning majors, prolly wouldve done it by now if he wouldnt have made all those awesome decisions while married. that whole show took him out of the running. evryones to good now, its not about tiger anymore.
Wow you a tiger fan?

Back