There's some good stuff in there, thanks for posting it.. I'm not overly concerned with the dude coming to Atlanta, seems like a great way to study the illness and come up with a vaccine and a cure here in a controlled environment. I'm more concerned about other people that won't take the right precautions to protect others, or the people that fly a bunch internationally. I try not to be a doom monger but the amount of carelessness now a days is just too great for me to not be concerned.

There's some good stuff in there, thanks for posting it.. I'm not overly concerned with the dude coming to Atlanta, seems like a great way to study the illness and come up with a vaccine and a cure here in a controlled environment. I'm more concerned about other people that won't take the right precautions to protect others, or the people that fly a bunch internationally. I try not to be a doom monger but the amount of carelessness now a days is just too great for me to not be concerned.

my biggest concern is the virus mutating and then we're f'd....maybe I've seen too many Dustin Hoffman movies, but what would happen if it became airborne?

This is the risk we take with a connected world. SARS, HIV, and many other viruses have crossed borders because of air travel. Though this is not a new concept, as many diseases have come to our country via shipping and other means before.

Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk

I have no general concern with the guy coming. If any country and area is equipped to nurse a person through it? It's that place.

I feel like people will be prepared for that kind of endangerment, but to have a lab rat and doctor going through the Ebola virus? We couldn't ask for a person who knows more about bodies suffering it, in lab containment. The data gleaned from it? Has to be worth it's weight in gold. I'm sure the military has shipped and done worse, all in all.

I have no general concern with the guy coming. If any country and area is equipped to nurse a person through it? It's that place.

I feel like people will be prepared for that kind of endangerment, but to have a lab rat and doctor going through the Ebola virus? We couldn't ask for a person who knows more about bodies suffering it, in lab containment. The data gleaned from it? Has to be worth it's weight in gold. I'm sure the military has shipped and done worse, all in all.

I was thinking about the military on this one, what a weapon the Ebola virus would be if they decided to weaponize it.

Scary stuff right there

I love all the hysteria about bringing an Ebola patient to the US. You people who are freaking out are aware that down the road at the CDC they have things that make Ebola look like the common cold right?

I love all the hysteria about bringing an Ebola patient to the US. You people who are freaking out are aware that down the road at the CDC they have things that make Ebola look like the common cold right?
I learned that from watching the walking dead... :alien:

Ignorance is bliss.

I was thinking about the military on this one, what a weapon the Ebola virus would be if they decided to weaponize it.
Biological weapons can't tell the good guys from the bad guys. That's why, in this day and age, I'm not worried about our military weaponizing viruses like this. I imagine we'll have an effective Ebola treatment in the next couple of years.

Biological weapons can't tell the good guys from the bad guys. That's why, in this day and age, I'm not worried about our military weaponizing viruses like this. I imagine we'll have an effective Ebola treatment in the next couple of years.

Well that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! lol

Seriously though, does it bother me they are bringing it home, sure some, but no one in there right mind is going to fly that Doctor home without precautions. So he and his Ebloa will hangout in Atlanta and hopefully be help to finding a cure.

Well that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! lol

Seriously though, does it bother me they are bringing it home, sure some, but no one in there right mind is going to fly that Doctor home without precautions. So he and his Ebloa will hangout in Atlanta and hopefully be help to finding a cure.
Honestly, the best place to pick up a potentially deadly disease is the hospital. No joke. MRSA and other antibiotic resistant organisms are one of the main complicating factors for people coming out of surgery. I'd worry less about Ebola and more about entering a post-antibiotic age.

One way to limit these sorts of outbreaks and diseases though, is to cut down on the bushmeat trade. That's how quite a few of these viruses made the jump to humans.

They have some real nasty stuff they study every day people are acting like this it the first ebola in the states but i would imagine there are lots of labs that have had samples and have been studying it for years

It really doesnt concern me. Ebola isnt an airborne disease, so unless you come into contact with bodily fluids, you wont catch it. Honestly, theres a million different things out there that can kill you and if you sit around worrying about it all the time you'll never be able to enjoy life.

There have been outbreaks since the 70's. The US would contain Any outbreak instantly.

I just wish the world would stop making people go to work/school every day of their lives. It seems a massive epidemic would be the only way.

Holy cow there are a bunch of people swapping body fluids, it seems to be spreading rather easily.

Ebola confirmed to NOT be spread via airborne. Someone will literally need to bleed out next to you for you to contract the disease. Or you can eat bushmeat... your choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a microbiologist I find it more fascinating than scary.

I too am a microbiologist that specializes in infectious disease, and I am very fascinated with the virus. Microorganisms are scary things!

I'll be hiding down in the BSL 3 or 4 lab under my building if ebola ever spreads to the US.

Holy cow there are a bunch of people swapping body fluids, it seems to be spreading rather easily.
i think it some of the spread comes from the local traditions in preparation of the dead

I hope no one would be that greedy and do that but nothing would surprise me anymore. This thing is spooky.

i think it some of the spread comes from the local traditions in preparation of the dead

Pretty sure that's 95% of it. They sure seem to think it couldn't spread far in a first world country. At least that's what they say.

Withe the current immigration issue the thought of all kinds of diseases is a frightening thought. I have felt like being in the states gives us a false sense of security for being able to avoid these types of diseases.

Withe the current immigration issue the thought of all kinds of diseases is a frightening thought. I have felt like being in the states gives us a false sense of security for being able to avoid these types of diseases.

I live in El Paso Texas, right on the border of Mexico, and I work as a research microbiologist that specializes in infectious diseases. I personally work with tuberculosis, and my department also focuses on HIV, West Nile virus, chagas disease and other pathogenic microorganisms that cause disease in this area. We focus on these because they are predominant among immigrants coming through the area as well as those who live near the border. Ebola has become a concern to us in the infectious disease community because of the possibility of it emerging on the border like the other diseases we study.

With the amount of money in pharmaceuticals and recent fda approval of an new ebola treatment, you have to wonder why a company with easy access to the disease wouldn't spread it on purpose.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/08/investing/ebola-drug-approval-tekmira/
It's not good business to unleash a disease which kills upwards of 90% of those it infects. Never mind that if an outbreak occurred in the US, it would be quickly contained and the risk of being caught in the act would vastly outweight the chance that the outbreak would spread enough for them to make any money on the drug. And if they started the outbreak in Africa, they're morons because no one in Africa can afford the drug.

They'll make their money with military contracts.

Back