I can see the negligence on the hospitals part ... they did misdiagnose him and send him home, whereas if they had made the proper call (by really paying attention to his patient history) he'd most likely be alive today - based on what happened with all the other Ebola patients treated in the US.

The book or movie deal is preposterous.

I still get a kick out of this whole thing.

You have a bunch of people who could barely make it through basic biology questioning a bunch of highly trained experts in the field.

These same people showing how ignorant they are by assuming the death rate in the US would be the same as the death rate in a third world country (obviously it wouldn't...western Ebola death rate turns out to be less than 10% and would be even lower if not for gross negligence by a hospital).

So now we are going to shift to saying Ebola is awful for third world countries let's try to cure it for them. Except Ebola isn't even the most deadly hemorrhagic fever in Africa! Lassa infects 50x more, and kills the same number, on an annual basis as Ebola has in the entire recorded history of humanity. Malaria kills far more as well.

Media outlets made a ton off of Ebola. They'd do it again.

And the Texas hospital should absolutely pay Duncan's family, they screwed up royally.

I still get a kick out of this whole thing.

You have a bunch of people who could barely make it through basic biology questioning a bunch of highly trained experts in the field.

I certainly agree with the gist of your post. But I can only speak for myself in saying that much of the concern is born from a distrust in government, particularly this one. As we see with the latest videos surfacing about Obamacare architect Johnathan Gruber, it's not beyond a highly trained expert in his field to aid government's lies and deception in order to serve their own purpose, cover their butts, etc.

Sure the hysteria is baffling but I find it equally baffling for people not to question their government so as to hold them accountable. I trust experts in their field in the private sector but when they speak for government, I must admit my cynicism. Sadly, the whole Ebola situation became as political as it was medical.

I don't think his family should have gotten paid. I am not Ebola expert, nor have any medical administration experience. I do know this country spends way too much on medical care. If he paid his bill it's one thing, and I am not saying that he didn't. But what if someone from another country shows up for medical care and has no intentions of ever paying for it. It's not like its even affordable anyways which is why I highly doubt he did. What rights does this person have to sue a foreign hospital?

I don't think his family should have gotten paid. I am not Ebola expert, nor have any medical administration experience. I do know this country spends way too much on medical care. If he paid his bill it's one thing, and I am not saying that he didn't. But what if someone from another country shows up for medical care and has no intentions of ever paying for it. It's not like its even affordable anyways which is why I highly doubt he did. What rights does this person have to sue a foreign hospital?
The person who was given an originally wrong diagnosis and sent home to die.

Hospitals aren't perfect. And that wasn't my point. My point was in a country that forces its citizens to pay for healthcare, what right do foreigners have to come to that country and use it's medical services for free and expect to sue for a mis-diagnosis?

Ebola

I don't think we can make any judgement on whether he would or would not have paid his bill, since he didn't get the chance to. Either way, the hospital royally screwed up. It doesn't matter if he's foreign or not.

I'm not 100 percent sure I agree with some of the arguments made by his family regarding racial motivation, but arguing that a foreign person has no right to sue is basically saying the hospital could provide any level of substandard care to a foreign national without repercussion.

The smugness in here about the outcome is ... something. The hospital, the nurses, the CDC and other scientists made mistakes, were loose with following protocols, had things wrong, etc. For as much as the basic underlying science on the disease was sound, humans and our government were fallible. That is what made many of us uneasy.

The smugness in here about the outcome is ... something. The hospital, the nurses, the CDC and other scientists made mistakes, were loose with following protocols, had things wrong, etc. For as much as the basic underlying science on the disease was sound, humans and our government were fallible. That is what made many of us uneasy.

Everything has a probability of failure. The question is how high (or low) is that probability and what are the consequences? For an airliner the probability of failure (of the plane or pilots) is low, but the consequences are generally large. A $0.99 Bic pen has a high failure rate but the consequences are small.

For Ebola the probability of failure is low (hundreds of medical professionals treated the various patients in the US and only 2 got sick) while the consequences were also low. Despite this, people freaked out because they knew better. For people who dedicated substantial portions of their lives to studying and working on the science behind the disease and treatment, this is very frustrating and probably where the smugness comes from (at least IMHO).

Kinda weird how you hear nothing about this anymore.

People made it sound like it was gonna be the next bubonic plague.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People need to have a campaign of hatred. They jump from topic to topic with whatever is fresh.

I definitely had it for a few days, it was nasty. Luckily some over the counter stuff cleared it right up.

Shock media. Scare the public with news purely for the purpose of ratings. That's why I can't stand watching CNN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I definitely had it for a few days, it was nasty. Luckily some over the counter stuff cleared it right up.

Actually they are monitoring another outbreak, I guess we are gearing up for Fall Sweeps/ratings.

Good job jrod

c6038ad2e52a45cf40d504bad4bdc7c0.jpg

Turned out to be malaria from what I read earlier.

my ebola was acting up this morning, couldn't stop sneezing

Back