Club Head Speed for Average Male Golfers

I'm right in the same range. During my fitting I hit 100 And 101 a few times but that was when everything was grooved after a bunch of swings.

My back doesn't need to be reminded about my youth. Thankyouverymuch!

Anything even approaching 100 is plenty fast to be able to play excellent golf and have plenty of length for all but the very longest courses.

I gotta believe that "average" based on what I see on the course and range is around 85-90.

Last edited:
Dude I was there last year with the HC and this season has been very good for me and my game. You will get there dude.

I've had some stupid good rounds playing the way I can and honestly should. The driver gets me in trouble when it's off and I'm just now getting comfortable with the 3wd.

I find it interesting that the average player distance wise needs to be no further than 140yd out to get to 50% GIR. Would that be in the 6-7i range for that 255 yd driver of the ball??

I've had some stupid good rounds playing the way I can and honestly should. The driver gets me in trouble when it's off and I'm just now getting comfortable with the 3wd.

I find it interesting that the average player distance wise needs to be no further than 140yd out to get to 50% GIR. Would that be in the 6-7i range for that 255 yd driver of the ball??
Yeah I think so but for me when I hit Fairways the better chance for a GIR even if I hit a crappy drive distance wise.

I'm in the minority here because I thought it would be under 90. Of course most of those taking the TM combine are probably serious about the game and carry better than average HCP's.

I know that in the summer of 2013 my driver swing speed was averaging 106 according to the launch monitor at golf galaxy. The only thing I know since then was today I was trying out 7 irons and I averaged 87 with the Baffler XL I went with.

I average around 117 with a driver, and that's on multiple launch monitors. If I really want to go after it I can get upwards of 125 but god knows where it'll go? So I guess I'm more like TW than I thought, lol.

Oh and the only time i ever swing out of my shoes is trying to hit Annika's building. :angel:

Too funny. I remember Freddie telling me to stop hitting at Annikas building. I didn't even think I could get there.

Thanks for bringing back the memory!

Last year I averaged near 105 on a sim at sports authority, some higher some lower. I'm curious what they actually are now that I've ironed out a lot of the inconsistencies.

don't care about swing speed....every drive i hit is almost 300 yards.....as long as 245 yards is close to 300 yards........lol:banana:

I was there and above about 18 months ago. Not anymore unfortunately. Flip kills any clubhead speed I can build up.

There are so many other variables that go into distance though. Weather (wind and humidity in particular), altitude, the ball, and the club can play a difference. I look for around a 250 carry or so off the tee (I use the SLDR Mini, which is more like a 2W really). But that is when I am good and loose and swinging it well. Early in the round it's closer to 230-240 carry that I should expect. I'm not upset as long as it's playable. But if I am 140y to the flag, that is the carry distance of an 8 iron for me in a calm wind. I've hit that so many times that I know it. And definitely if I have an 8i or less in my hands I expect myself to hit the green.

I'm 1.4 mph under the average (tracked, with driver).

There are so many other variables that go into distance though. Weather (wind and humidity in particular), altitude, the ball, and the club can play a difference. I look for around a 250 carry or so off the tee (I use the SLDR Mini, which is more like a 2W really). But that is when I am good and loose and swinging it well. Early in the round it's closer to 230-240 carry that I should expect. I'm not upset as long as it's playable. But if I am 140y to the flag, that is the carry distance of an 8 iron for me in a calm wind. I've hit that so many times that I know it. And definitely if I have an 8i or less in my hands I expect myself to hit the green.

Your looking for carry in the 230-250 range, the article is talking roll included at 250-255(carry unless it's super soft would be 220-230) and that I would expect to be a club shorter than your 140 8i carry distance by a club or two.

I believe those numbers. For one, they align and are slightly higher than the USGA and R&A studies on driver distance. The average is 207.

The second is based on some reverse engineering done in advertising. Take the ball speeds on your average data driven add, divide be 1.45 and you are right at 92. They pick that number for a reason.

Then there's the anecdotal piece. I swing 85ish but get a little more yardage than the swing speed would indicate (based on GPS). About 1/2 the people I'm randomly paired with are longer and about 1/2 are shorter.

Last time I was on a trackman my average was right at 96-97 mph. Don't really expect to average 100 mph at this point.

Bah! Below average. By 0.4!!!! I need to hit the gym!!!!

Made it in the top 1%, wish it was a more prestigious to be added to though.

This is something I'm learning as well. When I swing easy I hit it just as far as when I try to step on it, but my brain tells me I need to try harder to hit it farther but that just isn't the case.

It's a hard lesson to learn, that body turn in synch with arms nets a better result than swinging for the fence. When most if us wing hard, we get completely out of synch.

I honestly have no idea what my swing speed is. None. It's of zero concern.

i'm less than a mile under the average, but i can poke it out there a decent ways with most of my buddies who swing faster than i do.

my smash factor is 1.51. my spin is 1,743. my launch angle is 11.4 but my dynamic loft is 12.4. my "killer" is a 9+ path with a 3.3+ face, so my slow swing speed, low spin and medium launch means duck hooks with that face/path differential. i'm working on a more neutral plane and seeing really good results. if i can get the plane more neutral, get the launch up a bit, and add just a couple yards to my swing speed, i'll be a happy man. when i feel more dialed in with the path, i'm going to switch my shaft. i've seen the benefits of after market shafts from a fitting, and i'm a believer.

I have to laugh, generally I'm the longest in my group, and so many times I get "wow, that was over 300 yards", when I'm looking at my phone measuring the distance and it might be 250....i just think most people have no concept of distance. I can get mine out about 300 with the help of a downhill cartpath...maybe.

I'll keep my 105... I play as a single a lot and I'd say that chart is pretty spot on. For the most part I'll usually be the one of the longer hitters in a group I get randomly paired up with. But like JB said, most of this forum is above average so it may not represent those posting in this thread very well.

Back