Determining Handicap?

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Handicap
Transition
I am going to try and return back to the game of golf and wanted to know if there is a web site that will calculate handicap without being a member of a club?

Many including myself use oobgolf.com. Its not an official USGA handicap, but seems to be a fairly accurate estimate.

I am going to try and return back to the game of golf and wanted to know if there is a web site that will calculate handicap without being a member of a club?

You can use the "Handicap Tracking" link at the top right of this page to do that.

I agree that oobgolf is a good free service, I used to use it before I signed up for U S Handicap through THP.

playerlink.com, don't know if it's official but works for me. Free.

When I first started playing, I used a few of the Free Apps that figure it out. Eventually I joined a Club to have an Official GHIN Handicap. The $25 was a small cost for the social aspect, the Handicap, and the discount that many Golf Courses here in Washington and the Pacific Northwest give for having the card.

The Swing By Swing app will also track handicap...at least I think it will. I can't remember if that's a Looper feature or not.

Also, you can go here: Admittedly, it's some more work, but you'll get an accurate handicap. http://golf.about.com/od/handicaps/l/blhandicapincal.htm

GolfShake for me. Never had a problem with it and seems fairly accurate. Can upgrade for a fee to get a little card and various other features, but just signing up to calculate and track a handicap is free.

I use the app caddie pro that tracks everything, it was free but I am not sure if it is anymore.

golfshot app that I use to track my rounds will also give you handicap after 5 rounds are in.

Paladin's right. Swing by Swing golf app will track your handicap. I use it (not affiliated with them at all) and have been playing every Wednesday after work a 9 hole round. I've watched my handicap slowly drop from 29 to 23... it'll also track where you're at on the golf course and email you a link to a web site that has more information about your round. I found it especially funny un reviewing my last round and seeing exactly how much Army golf my friends were playing... and it was a lot. I got a kick out of seeing the track showing the big circle we took trying to find one ball in the rough.

Granted, I don't think it's an official handicap recognized by the USGA or any other governing body but it gives information that I think is pretty cool to know beyond a handicap.

And Swing by Swing is free. If you want to track stats of clubs used, how far you hit them on each shot, fiarways hit in regulation, greens hit in regulation, and other stuff like that I think you need to sign up for Looper and that does cost some money... but if you don't need that, check out Swing by Swing... it's told me through shot tracker how far my drives actually are going. (Not too far unfortunately)

Thanks everyone!

I have a question about the Handicap system. I was looking through my scores being used and noticed it's not always the lowest score being used. Rather my scores from the back tees are used. For me there isn't much difference in score for me from the whites or blues. Maybe 2-3 strokes. So would it be more beneficial from a handicap stand point to just play the back tees?

I use myscorecard.com. If you're a member of a local "club" on there, you can get an official handicap. I'm a member of the Nashville-area club and so I do get an official handicap and can even print out an official USGA handicap card.

There are rules though, such as the club has to have a handicap committee and bylaws.

Last edited:
Back