Space between ferrule and adapter

The Dave

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I dropped off a shaft to get an adapter put on and the store said when they put the ferrule goes too far down on the shaft and there is now a space between the ferrule and adapter. Will this cause any performance problems or problems with adjustabilty?

First, that is strange, any time I've slid one on too far I just put apply a tad bit of heat and slide ti right back down, its simple, so its strange as hell for them to just leave it.

As for performance, if its just slid up, it will effect nothing.

Shouldn't affect performance but it doesn't side like they know what they're doing. You slide both on pretty much at the same time.

Agree with the previous 2. Won't cause any performance issues. Not sure why they would have left it up too high. If they added a touch of heat it would slide right back down. Very strange.

It depends on the adapter, if it's a Callaway adapter there is a special ferrule that is needed and it slides into the adapter so if it doesn't go in their then you could face problems. That honestly sounds like scotty workmanship too since you would never buy a club that had the ferrule like that and he should of fixed his mistake.

It depends on the adapter, if it's a Callaway adapter there is a special ferrule that is needed and it slides into the adapter so if it doesn't go in their then you could face problems. That honestly sounds like scotty workmanship too since you would never buy a club that had the ferrule like that and he should of fixed his mistake.
It is a Callaway adapter...I bought it on eBay and it said it was good for all the newer models...I plan on using it for the optiforce...I will post a picture of it later

Wow... I do my own club work and know of two easy ways to have fixed this prior to setting the adapter in epoxy. I am hoping its not glued on up the shaft--you may be able to work it back down and use some head tac type glue to lock it into place--provided they have not jacked up the epoxy with an overlap type of ferule. the picture should answer my other questions..

It is a Callaway adapter...I bought it on eBay and it said it was good for all the newer models...I plan on using it for the optiforce...I will post a picture of it later

Did the adapter come with the ferrule? Callaway adapters use special ones because there's a space that the ferrule slides into.

I believe the ferrule came with the adapter

Did the adapter come with the ferrule? Callaway adapters use special ones because there's a space that the ferrule slides into.

sounds like crappy work. Its possible they used a shim incorrectly preventing the ferule locking into position. Again a simple fix by trimming the shim to fit correctly.

The adapter ferrule pair is like a male/female setup. The ferrule needs to slide into the adapter if it doesn't then the adapter could start to shift loose after a few hits.

Here are the pictures:

The second one shows the original adapter on the shaft to the right...it appears that they just threw on a random ferrule they had lying around...it doesn't appear to be the same as the original...I am guessing the adapter I bought didn't come with a ferrule

suhura9e.jpg

ygubupyv.jpg

The adapter ferrule pair is like a male/female setup. The ferrule needs to slide into the adapter if it doesn't then the adapter could start to shift loose after a few hits.

Actually it would only serve in holding it in place until the epoxy cured, once the epoxy cures the ferrule itself is just cosmetic. I had used a Callaway brand on Xhot and had purchased the Callaway ferrules just for this reason also. Technically you could use a shim and make a tight fit negating the need for the correct ferrule to hold the combo in place during curing--this may be what they did, but this is still very bad work from the shop.

I don't see it moving now unless epoxy is bad--the real fear is if the shaft was properly centered in the adapter--the main reason for a collared ferrule in that brand.

As far as options now.. Well if they did shim it tight and centered it properly then it may be fine--just crappy ferule you have to look at yet useable. You could try and hit it and see if it is fine for you.

I think I still have a collared ferrule from the Xhot--I know the adapter has changed, but the ferule may still work if they have not changed that part of it--your welcomed to try it. Then maybe you could find someone who could pull this properly and reset it with a collared ferule. If you lived in the area I could fix it for you, but just call a couple of shops to explain what you want and make sure you have someone that knows how to pull an adapter properly--you may get lucky and find one that has some Callaway collared Ferrules already in the shop.

As far as options now.. Well if they did shim it tight and centered it properly then it may be fine--just crappy ferule you have to look at yet useable. You could try and hit it and see if it is fine for you.

I think I still have a collared ferrule from the Xhot--I know the adapter has changed, but the ferule may still work if they have not changed that part of it--your welcomed to try it. Then maybe you could find someone who could pull this properly and reset it with a collared ferule. If you lived in the area I could fix it for you, but just call a couple of shops to explain what you want and make sure you have someone that knows how to pull an adapter properly--you may get lucky and find one that has some Callaway collared Ferrules already in the shop.
I'll try to hit it this weekend and see how it goes...If somehow the shim is loose then I will definitely call around to some shops to see what they could do...thanks for the help guys

I'll try to hit it this weekend and see how it goes...If somehow the shim is loose then I will definitely call around to some shops to see what they could do...thanks for the help guys

Just so we are clear here--I meant tight and centered during epoxy curing resulting in the adapter being set properly. I don't think it will come loose. For example if you were to have an adapter cure off center it could affect loft and lie of the club--it won't move anywhere just be set crooked.

That actually looks like he used the right one, could you see the shaft in the gap or is it the bottom part of the ferrule? If that's the right one it looks like its in there enough that it won't give you any problems.

I think it is just epoxy that I can see but it doesn't look like the shaft...The club so does not appear off center when setting it down...I don't think I have too much to worry about...I hope

I think it is just epoxy that I can see but it doesn't look like the shaft...The club so does not appear off center when setting it down...I don't think I have too much to worry about...I hope

Ok, good. Let us know how it goes. The shim method is something I would use on my own clubs in a pinch when I did not have the right collared ferrule, but I would still make the ferrule fit snug :alien:

I have a theory on why this happened if they did not unplug the old epoxy from the tip of the shaft, then the expanding epoxy can cause this as there is no air escape.

A shim wouldn't fit in the adaptor since all Callaway made was a .335" adaptor, there is a collar on the correct ferrule (which it appears they used). The collared ferrule helps to prevent shearing at the top of the adaptor, it looks like it is seated far enough down that it will serve the purpose. One way to try and get the ferrule further is to have someone with a shaft puller put the cuff above the ferrule, lock the shaft in place and apply pressure to push the ferrule down. I have actually had to do this on a couple of factory installed adaptors after a year or so of use. It is fairly poor work though.

Fwiw I've installed multiple callaway adapters with standard ferrules after having pulled the adapter from another shaft with no shearing issues. Literally about 15-20 times.

Fwiw I've installed multiple callaway adapters with standard ferrules after having pulled the adapter from another shaft with no shearing issues. Literally about 15-20 times.

And I bet you did not leave a nasty gap like that in any of them either:) --that's just poor work.

My only work on Callaway adapters was with the one I had the correct ferule so that's good to know James.

A shim wouldn't fit in the adaptor since all Callaway made was a .335" adaptor, there is a collar on the correct ferrule (which it appears they used). The collared ferrule helps to prevent shearing at the top of the adaptor, it looks like it is seated far enough down that it will serve the purpose. One way to try and get the ferrule further is to have someone with a shaft puller put the cuff above the ferrule, lock the shaft in place and apply pressure to push the ferrule down. I have actually had to do this on a couple of factory installed adaptors after a year or so of use. It is fairly poor work though.

If that's the case, then they probably did not remove old epoxy from the tip and it expanded some in the cure with no place for the expansion it pushed up the ferrule--I have had ferrule drift over time as you mentioned on other brands--but if it moves up during curing they did the prep work wrong.

I'm not saying that it absolutely would, just why they designed them the way that they did. I have many fitting shafts that have no ferrules since I pulled RFX adaptors and redid them with the new sleeves.

Back