Shaft Recommendation

thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
Andy, I'm a little puzzled with which shaft I should be using. Originally I had the standard regular that came with my R9 and tested the Aldila Voodoo RVS6 again regular. The original shaft did well for me most of the time. Traditionally I would hit a baby draw, but not long. Now, with the Aldila, when hit well it's long and straight, but I find myself snapping it left a bunch. Is that a sign of too stiff? It's not a hook, straight as a string left. I'm thinking about trying a new premium shaft and not sure what I should look for.

Here's from my testing on a big screen monitor. The shop owner said the club head speed would be off and my real speed should be in the 95 MPH range? I do have several other shafts already: Fujikura E360 Reg, Proforse V2 66g Reg, Aldila DVS 65-R regular and the original Motore 65 Regular that came with the R9.

P1020252.jpg

Back spin with the Motore was lower, 3200 to 3500. The picture above show's 3980+ with left side spin 3431.

Thedue if your club head speed is in fact 95mph you have out grown a r flex. You would need to go to a stiff. I am looking at the ball speed up there. With a ball speed of 132mph that would have your club head speed around 85-87mph which is important because that would have you in a r flex. I am going to go with my gut on this. With what I am seeing up there the launch angle is looking very good at 15.5 I would like to see your backspin rates in the 2500-3500 range and from your notes the motore is there. The area of concern is the side spin numbers. That much side spin is going to throw off our readings a bit. That is the area that is killing you.

My gut is telling me to stick with the motore for spin rate and hope the launch stays about the same. I know this isn't what you want to hear but you need to quiet the side spin. It looks like majority of it is draw spin. but it is hard to tell. If that is the case start moving the head out of the neutral position and see if an open face starts to bring down some of the sidespin. Just a thought. I would try that before I throw a different shaft in it. I hope that makes some sense.

Makes a lot of sense, Andy. I just want it in the short grass and as far that way as possible, lol. I had hoped your direction was to shorten the shaft one inch, but at 50 years of age I should not expect to keep banging it long. Sounds like the Motore and a high launch is still the ticket. Thanks once again, you are always there for us "Hackers"!

Last edited:
Andy, do you have any idea what's causing the left side spin? I would assume that's what is giving me the draw. Standardly, I aim up the right edge and am pretty consistant at drawing back to center, but not a ton of distance. I've put the R9 away for now because I don't have a new tip to put on the original shaft and the Voodoo is just not working anymore. I'm keeping it straight with my Nickent 4DX with Proforse shaft, (same old draw), just not as much distance as the R9 had. I'm averaging about 240 to 250 off the tee now with a very low trajectory, but I think that's the proforse. If I tee it up as high as possible and scoot the ball a bit forward I can get the higher trajectory, but accuracy starts to dwindle.

Thanks, Duey

Re: Shaft Recommendation

thedue said:
Andy, do you have any idea what's causing the left side spin? I would assume that's what is giving me the draw. Standardly, I aim up the right edge and am pretty consistant at drawing back to center, but not a ton of distance. I've put the R9 away for now because I don't have a new tip to put on the original shaft and the Voodoo is just not working anymore. I'm keeping it straight with my Nickent 4DX with Proforse shaft, (same old draw), just not as much distance as the R9 had. I'm averaging about 240 to 250 off the tee now with a very low trajectory, but I think that's the proforse. If I tee it up as high as possible and scoot the ball a bit forward I can get the higher trajectory, but accuracy starts to dwindle.

Thanks, Duey

Swingpath in to out and face closed causes left spin

Swingpath in to out and face closed causes left spin

Thanks Thainer. So until I fix the in to out, would a softer grip keep the head more open?

Re: Shaft Recommendation

Could, could not. Ive seen it fixed both ways. Maybe don't soften your grip, but expirement with the strength of your grip. Try a weaker and Stronger grip and see what happens.

Thanks man! I will.

Back