Bridgestone J40 Fairway Woods and Hybrids

Nice looking clubs congrats!

I remember you having some real good shots with that hybo and after almost mugging CJ for his 4w, I'm wondering how that shaft would treat me in the hybo as well. Another ponder is forming...

Taps away

Yeah that hybrid is nasty when you catch it right off the tee. You hit that 4W pretty well yourself.

4 Wood treated me very well this evening. Maybe it was her new clothes....

20140709_180056_zpssjejjjxl.jpg

JM

Funny... Mine came in last night as well. :D Really is a gorgeous headcover.

F9D8AA80-D29D-4310-AAC7-0EA48EC305F6_zpsfrqqqfpj.jpg

BF489C25-12F8-47D5-853E-CD91CA5B3661_zps7f0xudnz.jpg

11C949D9-289D-41A8-B097-EE01DBFC9F28_zps0rqdrvvq.jpg

Finally had a chance to take the 4w out today and all the great things I remember about it came flooding back as I nailed a tee shot over a forced carry ravine through a narrow chute of trees. I've been trying to figure out what it is about this club and what I realized is I find very easy to swing. Not easy to hit (even though I'd say that too), but it's just easy to put a great swing on this club. I don't have to force a tempo or swing out of my shoes with it; it's just comfortable to hit. And pretty easy to hit off the deck.

Now on to the ponder thread. A hybo in this may have to happen.

Glad this thread came up. I had the J40 hybrid in the bag tonight and I don't know why it ever left. I adore these hybrids.

Finally had a chance to take the 4w out today and all the great things I remember about it came flooding back as I nailed a tee shot over a forced carry ravine through a narrow chute of trees. I've been trying to figure out what it is about this club and what I realized is I find very easy to swing. Not easy to hit (even though I'd say that too), but it's just easy to put a great swing on this club. I don't have to force a tempo or swing out of my shoes with it; it's just comfortable to hit. And pretty easy to hit off the deck.

I'm finding the 3+ pretty easy for me to hit as well. As long as I don't put a really bad swing on it, I will probably find the fairway.

What hybo are you thinking? Got a 4 hybo with PX 6.0 that is sitting around after the MC.

What hybo are you thinking? Got a 4 hybo with PX 6.0 that is sitting around after the MC.

Thanks Neb!
I'm hitting the 5.0 for the 4w, so I don't know if the 6.0 would be too much shaft for me. Anyone ever do that comparison?

And am I reading this right that the shaft weights for the FW and hybos are in the 85-95 and up range for the project x? I should probably read this entire thread before throwing all my questions out there.

The J40 hybrid is by far my favorite club in the bag. It's honestly probably the nicest and best golf club I've ever owned. Such a nice looking club at address and it's just really really easy to hit high and straight. I got the 2hybo at 18* and just absolutely pound it. Into the wind at the range tonight I was carrying it 200. Just a bomber.

I've been pulling the 3h left as of late, however I absolutely love this club. Easy to get the ball up and the sound off the face is just nice.

Thanks Neb!
I'm hitting the 5.0 for the 4w, so I don't know if the 6.0 would be too much shaft for me. Anyone ever do that comparison?

And am I reading this right that the shaft weights for the FW and hybos are in the 85-95 and up range for the project x? I should probably read this entire thread before throwing all my questions out there.

Yeah, the shafts are in that weight range. I really do love the hybrids, and would fully recommend you picking one up.

Those weights are surprising, yet intriguing. I think I'm definitely getting one to kick around a little.

The J40 hybrid is by far my favorite club in the bag. It's honestly probably the nicest and best golf club I've ever owned. Such a nice looking club at address and it's just really really easy to hit high and straight. I got the 2hybo at 18* and just absolutely pound it. Into the wind at the range tonight I was carrying it 200. Just a bomber.

I really think that hybrid is one of the best ever made. For me, I've got a great shaft pairing and a confident run at the ball EVERY single time.

I really think that hybrid is one of the best ever made. For me, I've got a great shaft pairing and a confident run at the ball EVERY single time.

You and I both buddy. I'm so glad I went with the Pro Force in mine. It just works period. Not to mention with the red ferrule it's probably the sexiest looking club ever.

Thanks Neb!

There's a considerable difference between the 5.0 & 6.0. That said, you can get some screaming deals on PX shafts if you're patient. Don't think I've ever payed more than $40-45 for one.

I've been pondering a new 3W, and it seems silly not to include the J40 in that ponder, but I'm sooo used to seeing 15˚ stamped on the bottom. For those playing the 3+, is there a super noticeable difference in distance? Not a huge 3W off the deck guy but sometimes I do pull it out. Is that feasible? Feel like the gap from 4 to 5W would be too small.

There's a considerable difference between the 5.0 & 6.0. That said, you can get some screaming deals on PX shafts if you're patient. Don't think I've ever payed more than $40-45 for one.

I've been pondering a new 3W, and it seems silly not to include the J40 in that ponder, but I'm sooo used to seeing 15˚ stamped on the bottom. For those playing the 3+, is there a super noticeable difference in distance? Not a huge 3W off the deck guy but sometimes I do pull it out. Is that feasible? Feel like the gap from 4 to 5W would be too small.

I haven't hit the 15*, but I went with the 14* mainly because I use my 3w off the tee and just wanted the lower lofted option. the 14 is still easy enough to hit from the deck, but like you, I don't use my 3w from the deck that often.

I think with the right shaft the ball will still get elevated in a hurry for you. In fact it might offer some similar flighting to the stage 2 3w you're gaming right now.

I paired my J40 wood and hybrid with the shafts I did so that I could get the flight I wanted, and I agree they are some of the best woods ever made and that's why I haven't even considered replacing them this year. Great forgiveness and an AWESOME classic look, I just cant get over how well they perform shot after shot.

I've been struggling with my 4w lately, just slicing the crap out of it. Not sure what I change in my swing with it in my hand but going to do some focused range time with it this weekend to get it figured out. I've hit enough great shots with it that I know it isn't the club.

I've been struggling with my 4w lately, just slicing the crap out of it. Not sure what I change in my swing with it in my hand but going to do some focused range time with it this weekend to get it figured out. I've hit enough great shots with it that I know it isn't the club.

It's just a matter of opinion, but I think the j40 is far more susceptible to a fade than most fairways on the market. It shocks me how often I hit the ball straight with it, despite generally playing a draw to a power draw with the majority of 3w's I've gamed over the last couple years.

I am very confused by this. I thought slices were always the clubs fault, its never the swing. Just buying new clubs fixes it every time. But these woods are money so buy another new J40 4w, your other one probably just got worn out right?

It's just a matter of opinion, but I think the j40 is far more susceptible to a fade than most fairways on the market. It shocks me how often I hit the ball straight with it, despite generally playing a draw to a power draw with the majority of 3w's I've gamed over the last couple years.

I would tend to agree with that.

Back