Bag Setup Thread: Reasons and Thoughts

I'm actually pondering a shaft change in my Stage2. It's not a SLDR put I'm thinking I'd like to see how a low launch/high loft combo would do with my swing.

And I'll throw this out there guys, it doesn't need/have to be about how far you hit the ball or what your numbers are, just why you play the setup like you do or what you are pondering making changes to. Its been a lot of fun so far IMO.

I play what I think will give me the most forgiveness without sacrificing too much distance. I am working on my swing, so I hope the distance comes eventually, but in the meantime I need something that will get me out there and not penalize me in the process. To that end, I may drop the 5i and either put the HiBore XLi 5 hyron back in the bag, or grab the Adams 5h to complement the 4h (or make the switch to the XCG6 hybrids if I can wrangle them down). My driver is high loft to help me get more distance, though I am looking for a deeper option that can help me consistently hit that 230 yards I can get on a good swing. My wedges, I am happy with them. They are my most consistent clubs in the bag ... I don't plan on changing them out any time soon, unless it is to pull out the 50 and put in the 48 and 52 while dropping a wood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am really happy with current set-up listed in my sig. Only thing I would change right now is throwing graphite shafts in my irons and wedges.

I am really happy with current set-up listed in my sig. Only thing I would change right now is throwing graphite shafts in my irons and wedges.

You and me both on the graphite.

Been thinking about dropping the 6i for a hybrid, but JB stated the obvious which I feel like a dunce for not realizing immediately, the answer is hyron.

Been thinking about dropping the 6i for a hybrid, but JB stated the obvious which I feel like a dunce for not realizing immediately, the answer is hyron.

The obvious answer was right there. I just thought you still had a set and had ruled it out for some reason. If Bridgestone made a 5h or 6h I would own them. I just wish there was a cost effective way to make the switch to graphite but I will likely have to wait until my next set.

The obvious answer was right there. I just thought you still had a set and had ruled it out for some reason. If Bridgestone made a 5h or 6h I would own them. I just wish there was a cost effective way to make the switch to graphite but I will likely have to wait until my next set.

I wish I still had them. Soon enough, I'll grab another set dirt cheap.

I agree on graphite, I just can't throw that change down for shafts only. I'd love to spend some time with the new Programs, but damn.

What about instead of a 6 hybrid, a 6 iron X2 Hot? I basically did that with the 800 Pro Mizzys I had before my current set, but put in a 6 800 HD. The X2 Hot 6 might be close to a hyron and a good transition to hybrids.

I am happy with the bag for the most part, with the 56 deg. wedge being the next one to go. I cannot seem to hit it to the distances I want. I can knock down the 52 deg for the 90 -100 shot or stand on it for 115-120. But the 56 which should be an easy 100 yd club always ends up short. Has to be the club :)
The 9 wood covers the gap between the 5 ir and 5 wood but once the Callaway Driving irons come out the highest lofted one might be a nice addition. With my non consistent swing the gaps get strange after about the 7 iron depending on the swing.
Hit a pure 9 iron a true 150 downwind today but that does not translate thought the bag like it should (most of the time) since my best drives are 240- 250 the average being 230- 240. More lessons not more clubs are needed

What about instead of a 6 hybrid, a 6 iron X2 Hot? I basically did that with the 800 Pro Mizzys I had before my current set, but put in a 6 800 HD. The X2 Hot 6 might be close to a hyron and a good transition to hybrids.

588ALTTDE.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the bag setup in my sig, but I do wonder whether or not I should have gone with the Altitude hyron instead of the 588 hybrid.

I'm seriously thinking about putting my CMB 9-GW back in the bag with my CB3's to create a combo set. I am short and right way more often with the CB3 short irons. Not sure why or even if the clubs have any effect, but I figure it's worth a try.

I think I'm now fairly happy with my bag set up. Made a few changes earlier this year whilst I could. With an offspring on the way in November, I figured change stuff whilst I can.

Driver is the R11 10.5 turned up one notch.
I bought this pretty much the day it came out and I love it. Looked at changing earlier, but nothing I tried could match either the accuracy nor distance I get with this thing. I did end up changing from a regular to stuff shaft though on advice from the fitter.

3 wood is a Benross VeloCT 18 degree.
This is my frakenwood! 3 wood shaft with 5 wood loft. And it's awesome off the deck. Experimented with a RBZ stage 2 3HL in stiff, couldn't get on with it. Either couldn't get it off the deck, or everything went right. Tried a Cleveland Classic XL 5 wood. Face too deep. Hated it. So I ise the club that cost me £20 off eBay!

20.5 Cleveland Classic hybrid
Bought this after changing the shaft in my driver. I freakin love it. Favourite club in the bag by a mile! Long and straight. Why couldn't the 5 wood be like this!!!!

Titleist AP2 710's
Great irons. Won't change these for years. The best irons I've played. Look great, feel great, play great.

TM RAC 52* & 56*
Both for $100 from Sports Authority, so took a punt. The punt has payed off. Feel far more solid than the Nike Tour SV's they replaced. Thought I'd dropped a clanger, but I think the little c stamped on the face stands for conforming, so I think I'm ok.

Seemore PTM3
Transformed my putting. Had a TM corza ghost that did me ok, then I tried the Ping putting app that recommended something with some toe hang. Bought a Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2. Hated it. Couldn't line the face up, couldn't hope a thing. So changed it for the seemore and never looked back. For the first time in my life, 7 feet and in, I feel like I'm gonna make.

What a great idea for a thread, and finally have (taking) the time to chime in.

My driver right now is 9.5* because that is what was provided in my MC bag, but realistically a 10.5* would suit me better. I've certainly made the 9.5* work, but I have to tilt a little more than is comfortable and extra loft wouldn't go unappreciated.

I carry a 16* 4w as a driver alternative or off the deck option. Honestly, this is the one club in my bag that I have very little confidence in. I've struggled getting it airborne and am slicing it like crazy. Obviously something to work on, but will have to see if this stays in the bag long-term.

For hybrids, I carry an 18* (2hy) and 24* (4hy). I opted for the 2 over the 3 for a little better gapping between my 4w and 4hy, but so far have struggled a little with the 2hy; going right like my 4w, just not as much. The 4hy is amazing, and I'm so happy to have it in my bag and almost look for an excuse to use it.

Irons go from 5-PW, and I'd extend that to a GW if a set GW was offered. PW goes to 46*. I love the DPC irons, and my irons are becoming the strongest part of my game with them in the bag.

Wedges go 50, 54, and 58, all blade style. I was concerned getting the 52 bent to 50 as others have said distances weren't as expected, but I honestly love it for full swings. maxes out around 100 yds, but I can work it from 80-100 depend on how hard I swing. I'm starting to use the 54* as my utility club anywhere inside 80 yds, and save my 58* for times when I have to get it up fast or stop it short.

Putter is the TD-03 with a super stroke grip, and I love it. The weighting and balance work well for me so far, and my confidence is growing every time I use it.

From a gapping perspective, can't think of anything I'd change other than my driver, but need to get some more comfort in the top of my bag for those specific clubs to stay in the bag.

All my clubs are what my fitter said I should have.

The X2Hot line is amazing. Driver, 4-wood, 3 & 4 hybrid. Very strong, all over the face, and the stock shaft produces great results. They seem to load up very naturally and the ball just blasts off the face. The matte grey is probably the most pleasing look at address I've come across, short of Cobra's blue. If Cobra made a matte blue...well, maybe. But my driver, 4-wood, and hybrids, I get out of them exactly the swing I put into them. I don't think you can ask for much more.

I will say that having Recoil shafts in my irons has ruined me for ever buying steel shafts in irons ever again. The feel on my irons can't be beat. Apex irons feel pretty good no matter what shaft, but they're amazing with these shafts in them. I'm going to convince my wife that just buying pre-bent heads and putting these shafts in is a worthwhile investment. In addition, they reward smooth swings. I can't tell you how much that matters.

Wedges...my money-makers. A set of 54 & 58 degree MD2's... There's nowhere inside about 110 yards where I can't pull these and feel like the club is even remotely to blame. They inspire confidence at address, and I can swing them anywhere short of full and feel like they're going to go the yardage I want. They produce a ton of spin with urethane balls, and they look good at address whether opened or closed. When I crush a drive to within 100 yards, I love being able to pull one of these, full of confidence that my putt will be a birdie opportunity.

Putter...I currently bag an Odyssey MXM #6. I haven't totally ruled out a Black Series Tour Design 1-Wide. Putters are funny, because I feel like you can take your same stroke and measurement of distance and everything else, and just not have it translate from one course, or even one day, to the next...right now I bag the MXM, and love it...but all it would take is a good run with another club, and things get crazy.

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with current set-up and seem to have my distances dialed in too. Semi-large gaps between 9i thru 58* SW but it seems to suit me well w/ less confusion about club selection.

Driver: 9 or 9.5* (no issues with launch angle here so no need for loft increase)
3W: adjusted to 16* and cut to 42.75" for control (super confident off deck and tee)
2H: 19* (for short par fours and its sweet off the deck and in rough)
3i: actually a utility "hollow" iron at 21* with 105g graphite shaft; it definitely overlaps my hybrid and 4 iron but its a bag staple for tight par fours from tee.
4-9 iron: standard lofts from 24 - 42* (LOVE 'EM)
PW: 48* blade (120 - 100yds)
54 & 58* wedges (switching from 52 & 56 really helped me. I had a lot of overlap with 52 and PW. Use 58 from anywhere around the green. 54 for long bunker shots and chip-n-run.)

Okay my deals:

Driver: 10.5* standard length
3 Wood 15*: Cut down to 42.5" (1 inch off). Used for more accurate T-shots and the occasional fairway hit.
3 hybrid 19*: My main fairway smasher and for punching out of trees etc. - this is my most versatile club.
4 hybrid 22*: Used for floating things high and landing softly - also going to start using this for little chip and run shots off the tight hard lies I find myself in.
5-PW Rocketbladez: the 5 iron (23*) and 4 hybrid overlap a bit but the 5 iron is used off the tee for the same distance the 4h off the fairway.
Wedges:
50* (8 bounce) used for pitching and approach shots
54* (12 bounce) used for lots of chipping around the green and for my bunkers
60 (8 bounce) used occasionally for some chipping and lofting over things where I have no room for the ball to run out.
Putter: cut down to 33" to help me use the reverse overlap grip
Ball: Taylormade Project(a): great combo of price and performance. 3 piece ball that is going long and straight for me.

I am likely shaking up my set up. I have been struggling with the 3-5 clubs for the last month and am making a move back to hybrids. It's just easier distance for me right now and if I start hitting my 2nd and 3rd shots well, I start scoring much better, so it's time to change for now.

After hitting various hybrids for the last couple weeks, I think I'm moving to Jetspeed hybrids, a 3 and a 5. I'm getting any where from 155-165 carry with the 5 and 185-195 with the 3. So my bag would look like this:

Driver: 250+
4W: 220
3h: 185-200
5h: 160-175
6i: 150-155
7i: 145ish
8i: 135ish
9i: 125ish
PW: 115ish
50*: 100ish
54 and 60: less than 100
Putter: birdie putts

That leaves me with an extra club. There is an obvious gap between the 3 and 5h that a 4h could fit in nicely, but my experience has been I don't use a 4h; I either decide to go with the 5h and take the short side or hit the 3h easier. So although the 4h is an option, there may be other clubs that I would use more.

Another option is 2 4w's. The J40 has become a very nice stand by club in many respects while the G25 is more of a bomber off the tee. I like both and if I start hitting the J40 longer, then the G25 probably comes out. But I like the extra options off the tee when driver is too much.

That would look like:

G25 4W: 220
J40 4W: 200-210
3h: 185-200

Another option is 5W. Although I feel that after 4W and 3h, a 5w isn't going to be used as much.

As my non stop tinkering continues, I'm waiting for a deal on a J40 hybrid on the bay, so depending on distances and how I hit it from different lies, maybe I'll throw a J40 in as another hybrid option. I like hitting the J40 4W out of the rough and maybe it's because of the heavier shaft, so maybe the hybrid will be the same.

I hit a bunch of stuff recently, and I think what I'll end up doing is:

Amp Cell driver lofted to 11.5*
Amp Cell 3-4 fairway lofted to 16*
Amp Cell 3-4 hybrid lofted to 20*

Then drop to the 5-G irons, then 54, then 58, then putter.

That would leave me with an extra club slot, and eventually I could add a second fairway or add my 4 iron back to the bag.

I'm a high spin and high ball flight hitter. Most of my bag is geared toward getting more low launch. I sub a Bridgestone J33R 18* 5w for my Ping 20* hybrid depending on the course. Like if I know there is a Par 5 that I can reach that is perfect for my 5w. I also will swap the Hybrid out for the 3 iron depending on the length or soft conditions of Par 4's or if there is a particular long Par 3 that requires a high soft landing, I take the hybrid. Also if it it really windy, I take the 3 iron. I hit my 3 iron pretty good and it is also a great "escape" club from the trees. I use my 50* on most pitch shots from the fringe to about 125 full swing. Unless I need the loft to go over something or need to land it soft when short sided, I stick to the 50* low spinner shot. Lot of confidence with it. I also have 4 (2 each) Mizuno MP T11 56 and 60 wedges that have more or less bounce that I use according to the sand/turf/rough conditions of the course/conditions of the day. Deep fluffy sand or heavy rough around greens and I use more bounce. If it is soggy more bounce. Dry and firm or tight lies around the greens I use less bounce. If I know the sand is firm and packed, I use less bounce. I never full swing the 60 or 56. I have no idea what kind of grind they have.

I am planning to get into modern times and get the new Mizuno JPX 850 Forged irons and a TM R1 Black driver in the Fall.

I play a lot of Am Tour competitive golf, so for a practice round before an event, I bring them all.

I would say 70% of the time this is my bag set up or if I'm playing a course blind for the first time where we are betting or posting a score.

Bridgestone J33R 10.5* V2 stiff cut down to 44"
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5* stiff OEM cut down to 43"
Ping i20 20* Hybrid stiff OEM shaft
Bridgestone J33CB 4-PW for calm wind or Mizuno MP67 3-PW for really windy (Both +1/2" and S300 and OEM lofts)

Mizuno MP-T11 50 w/6* bounce, 56 w/10* of bounce, 60 w/8* of bounce
Original Rossa Spider w/Fatso grip (Had this putter since 08 and have no plans to swap, I love it)
Pro V1X

Last edited:
Contemplating dropping my 58 adding a 5 wood In place of the 20degree hybrid adding maybe an 18 hybo and a 3 iron still
Unsure! I hardly ever use my 58 and have a huge gap at the moment at the too if my bag!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Deep 12° - Can no longer control my driver to the ability that i desire consistently. 275+ depending on roll out, this club launches low.
15.5° 3 wood - best club in my bag will never leave. 250+
20° Air muscle driving iron - shafted with the same shaft as my irons, it feels comfortable off the ground or tee, 215-235yard
4-pw DPC J38 - Aerotech Stiff i95 shafts, still the best irons I've played. I got rid of my last set idk why so I rebuilt the same set... PW is 46°
Scor Wedges 50° 54° 58° with UST firm graphite 95 gram shafts - first time playing anything other than 52 56 60. So far I like them. Very heavy head feeling, solid meaty hit, very repeatable, great checking wedges.

I like my 4° gap on everything through out the bag from Driver (replacement) to the 58° wedge.

My setup

Driver: 8.5* as I hit the ball so high the 10.5 gets no roll at all. When I set it at 8.5 I can hit it a tad lower and get roll out.

3W: 15* About 245 carry off the tee and 250 off the deck with roll

21* hybrid 222-230 carry, + usually a bit of roll out.

4-PW From 215-132

52*- My 118-125 club, my main chip and run club

56* My 110-116 club, my main club from the sand unless there is no green to work with.

60* My 100 yards and in club, love the sole design on this been able to hit amazing flop shots with it.

Putter This one is magic, enough said.

it's interesting to see the variety in folks' bags...some are happy, other contemplating changing certain clubs....either way it
s ggod to see the ever reaching goal of improvement.....

Current setup:
9.5° PING Anser Driver w/ Aldila Tour ATX green in Stiff
16.5° PING Anser 4wood, OEM stiff shaft
20° PING Anser Hybrid, OEM stiff shaft
1,4-9 PING ISI irons with ZZ65 (DG X100SL) shafts
48°/52°/56° Vokey SM4 wedges

• Lowest spinning driver I could find within budget. (Under $350)
  • 4wood as I didn't have room for both the 3&5 wood setup as I wanted an extra wedge at the time.
  • Hybrid is good in gapping and I hit it good.
Gapping in this setup is quite okay for me. 270/245/220 yards.
  • PING ISI 1iron. Driving iron I only use off the tee when there's high winds. This definitely is the odd club in the bag. I do take it out and put the 3iron in, or keep both out.. Depending on the course I'm playing and the wind.
Hit it long, but it's not quite the easiest club to hit..
  • Irons are 3-9, I'm the guy that doesn't use the wedges that came with the set. I always have 4-9 in the bag. Sometimes the 3i too.
Old irons, but I'm so used to them..
  • Wedges: normally it's 48°/52°/56°, sometimes the 60° too. These are Vokey SM4's with nearly-matched bounces, apart from the 56°.
Gapping is good, bounce is good. I just like them. Could do with a bit stiffer shaft though.
  • Putter: This might be the most personal club in the bag for just about anyone. I have a Bettinardi that's counterweighted. It's a 332gram head, a little less then most. Betty's, I like it that way.
Should make it a little longer. At 34.5" it's just too short for good counterbalancing. But I'd need a new grip too and those are hard to get or very expensive here.

Last edited:
Love this thread!

Bag setup as shown in my sig is up to date.

Driver: I'm not sure what I have with this club. Launches high, launches low. Slices, fades, draws, hooks with equal proficiency. The main problem, of course, is my crapshoot of a swing, but at 45.5" this club may just be too long for my modest golf skills. Low launch is much more frequent than high launch, so maybe I need some extra loft as well (13° instead of 11° perhaps?)

3F: I'm very happy with this club. Much more predictable than the driver, and I have no hesitation hitting this off the deck, even in light rough. However, I don't often need to hit it off the deck because laying up to 70 yards is becoming my preferred option (see below). So I'm basically using this as a driver replacement, and I think I may be better off with a 44", 13° driver plus another wedge in the bag.

5F: Same story as the 3W. I put this in my bag to replace my slightly damaged 3H (Adams A7OS). I liked the 3H just as much though, and I may well go back to a 3H in the future.

Hybrid Iron Set: 4H-GW: This set has two "full" hybrids (4H & 5H), both of which I like a lot. It also has 2 "transition" hybrids (6H & 7H). I have a sort of mental block with these 2 clubs, they just seem like they are oddballs. The rest of the set (8I-GW) is pretty typical of a Max GI iron set. I can't complain about these, they have a nice high launch and are very forgiving when thinned.

54° Wedge: This is a old-school, blade style wedge with none of the features that one would associate with forgiveness, but somehow this is the most consistent club in my bag. 70 yards is the perfect distance for this club, and If I can put myself at that distance, I can pull this club and have a great deal of confidence that I can put the ball close to the pin at least half of the time. That is a lot better than my PW or GW.

60° Wedge: Almost as consistent from 50 yards as my 54° is from 70.

I'm considering ditching the 3F and GW and going with a 48-52-56-60 blade wedge setup, just to tighten up the yardage gaps. Maybe the 48 & 52 would be GI style wedges....588 Rotex CBs perhaps?

Putter: I'm quite happy with this, but I suspect a high MOI putter might work even better. I can't stand the look of mallets though!

Back