Ping G30 Vs Ping G25 Drivers - Launch Monitor - Worth the Change - YES!!!!

ProZoneGolf

Clubmaker/Fitter
Reaction score
Handicap
*** If you add to this thread please state driver, loft, shaft, swingweight, swingspeed, swing type etc (as much as you can) - Ping ONLY!

After all the new improvements with the G30 common sense made it clear to me it would be longer...It was !

I have gamed Pings: G25, i25 in 9.5's and 10.5's with 'many shafts'...My Goal is I am trying to control a draw/hook...to a baby draw

My current gamer (to beat) Ping G25 10.5 / Fijikura Fuel 60x Tour Spec / 45.75 / D5 / 267cpm Vs Ping G30 10.5 Stiff TFC D2 / 266cpm 5in Clamp , Head 202grams , Shaft has 2 spines , two Neturals 180* apart(**266cpm this is X! both by cpm and my flex board). Both Clubs have Flo...Yes the New Ping even has Flo when I twanged it...Awesome!

As you can see these clubs are near identical except my G25/ Fuel 60x TS is 8 grams heavier shaft and has higher swingweight by 3 points. I feel the Fuel delivers some smash factor / ball speed by design, so perhaps that evens it up against the Pings S1 to target.

The selection of G30's to me looked different in loft, face angle and shaft flex...although they were all the same thing!, I went looking for a stiffer stiff, as they were not in stock of X at the time. I was looking for more loft than 10.5 and took my G25 10.5 to look at to compare face's . I was looking for more open face angle primarily.
Looking through the small selection at Golfsmith (don't buy anywhere else they have a 90 return policy)...I found one G30 with more loft, open face angle, and felt like a x!...Jheez what are the chances of this?...I grab it and off to the launch monitor.

Lower down in this post are some earlier launch monitor readings of my G25 and a G30 10.5 Stiff Demo club...where the stiff demo was softer in flex and hooking more for me...the demo club 'did not' play like this new one I found in the store by any means. Dispersion was more left FW from starting out right

I found the 65 Tour Stiff shaft slightly softer than the TFC stiff, and it felt like a low bend point, or perhaps its not counterbalanced and loads more..hence flexes more with the higher SW

Here are some numbers...the Red are G25 warming up, Blue G30 - I felt I could -unload/rip the G30...so up to 108mph I went - Norm 105
CAM00375_zps481e7695.jpg

Last edited:
Why did you warm up with one and then hit the other instead of alternating to make the comparison? Genuinely curious. The reason I ask is the more mph could be discounted as just getting warmed up, right?

Ok this was earlier in the day with a G30 Demo club 10.5 / stiff (softer stiff shaft than the one above) Vs my G25 / 10.5 / Fuel 60 TS

The first reading in Blue is the G30 shot, second reading the G25, Third G30 shot alternating...I would hit one then the other.
The Orange was the Tour Stiff shaft that was softer in flex, lower bend I think, and felt like the decent angle sent it running
I was having problems with this demo stiff hooking (and my G25 gamer) so I was opening up a bit and starting out right
I have had problems with all my prior Pings Hooking/Drawing (g25/i25) and was hoping the New G30 would be netural bias as they created a SF Tec for the slicers. I always felt the G25 line was slightly draw bias by a fraction. Well the one I bought and demoed above post...sure straightened by draw / hook to a 'baby' draw
NB: In this shoot-off the Fuel is 'way' stiffer than the stock stiff Demo shaft, + heavier by 8 grams, Sw D3 vs D5

CAM00368_zps85a5a909.jpg

Yes I was starting out...but not cold...I hit the following above 2 hours earlier, you got a reply in before I could post this...

Is that really a 308 yard drive (total yardage) off a 100mph swing on the second G25 entry near the bottom of the second image you posted? Something seems weird with what the monitor is spitting out. Those total spin numbers on that G25 set look suspicious too?

The Ping G30 rear weight has changed to a screw that the hosel tool can undo. Awesome! (Perhaps some Cally Razr fit weights could fit?...they look a similar size)
I have figured out a Dime fits in there snug. So drill a hole in a dime and drop it in there! Money! Two dimes may need a longer screw...easy!
It will 'exactly' weight my head up to D5 from D2....3 SW points

Also regarding my shaft the standard Ping square setting O lines up 'my shaft' with S1 to target...hence its stiffer @ 266cpm. I rotated the shaft to N1 then twanged and got 261cpm. I would regard 'this' shaft as S+ @ N1, X @ S1 to target (9oclock).
Having S1 to target will certainly quiet's down my draw, and the cpm of 266 works well with my SS (Some X's S1 to target are a little much for me)
I did spine find the shaft in roller bearings from the butt and the tip end to find the spines are in exact linear location up/down the shaft. This speaks quality from manufacturing, rather than some twisted candy cane spines up'n'down the shaft that some cheap Asian worker rolled on a mandrel with their hands.

Looks like Ping's Engineering with the club and shaft are very good quality...I have been club building 24yrs and seen a lot!...even nice Japan stuff too

Last edited:
Is that really a 308 yard drive (total yardage) off a 100mph swing on the second G25 entry near the bottom of the second image you posted? Something seems weird with what the monitor is spitting out. Those total spin numbers on that G25 set look suspicious too?

That was G30/Tour 65 Stiff in Orange...I could not figure out the Tour Stiff readings...low low spin, long too...just after that the unit started blinking and would not read a ball. Earlier it was reading fine, however the sales guy started teeing the Tour Stiff balls up (orange)...I am fussy, that I line the mark on the ball correctly when teeing.

I would not count that reading...its clearly off, as for the spin numbers...not sure...my miss is low

The first post was two hours later...perhaps I will go back and try again in a booth I have not used...

I will say the G30 I walked out with has a lot better dispersion than my gamer, and has tamed my hook. I will hit the REAL range tomorrow

Just got back from my regular Range...
I was hitting into the wind 6mph, I was on the matts at the very front of the range. I was hitting over the back mound which is solid long!
The stiff shaft I am loading more than my Fuel 60x TS and de-lofting the face...great into the wind...however I may tip it 1/2 inch and add a nickel to the weight plug...or install my Fuel more likely.
Smooth swings were perfect Traj...but its hard for me to back off. When I tried to 'not' finish high...or flatter on my follow through ...hence my hook, and the results very playable...yes left rough but not OB like G25
Next... I open the face angle up to the - setting (- 0.6 open), I am getting a workable draw (rather than hook) to left center with my flatter swings.

Dan my buddy showed up who is qualifying for the senior tour. He plays a TM Stage 2 / Miyazaki C Kua 59s and was striking G30 solid straight. His miss shot was a push, and it was barely 5-10 right. It was impressive as he plays 44.5, and 45.75 was automatic

Next I will Install the same Fuel shaft, in the same position for a real apples to apples. What I feel right now is a little more forgiveness, and bit longer than G25, with the head ...well its a G30 but there was no getting used to it.

edit: Ok my Fuel is in...I installed a Golf Pride Z Tour Midsize no tape, to add butt weight + 7.5grams (my counterbalance ;) tour attain the same SW its 1/16th shorter (minimal to nothing)...off to the range

Last edited:
Why does everything have to be some sort of personal attack on a member or what they posted? I thought you may have learned your lesson by now. The guy gave a ton of information on comparing these 2 drivers for his swing. Some people are in to that and some aren't. Since you clearly are not, it would be better if you just said thanks for the info and moved on.

I have figured out a Dime fits in there snug. So drill a hole in a dime and drop it in there! Money! Two dimes may need a longer screw...easy!
It will 'exactly' weight my head up to D5 from D2....3 SW points

Just a quick question on the above. How do you prevent the dimes from rattling a little bit? Do you have some sort of washer/buffer in there to help with that, or can you just tighten the screw enough so that the dimes don't make a noise?

Just a quick question on the above. How do you prevent the dimes from rattling a little bit? Do you have some sort of washer/buffer in there to help with that, or can you just tighten the screw enough so that the dimes don't make a noise?

The screw will clamp it down...its a short screw so push a bit to get the thread.
Also I have tried a few washers from the hardware store for 0.05 cents! that also work...I also picked up a longer screw in case I want to build shorter shaft and load more washers/dimes. If you feel you would like a cushion in there install some slim firm plastic ...like a lid cut to suit the hole...its easy whatever works. Dial in your desired weight

Back from the range...the G30 with my G25 Fuel 60x TS shaft installed @ 45.5 D6
Initial first strike...wow the ball velocity is faster!...like a hammer, the head weight is slightly heavier than G25...my shaft feels softer, and I am hitting 'cannons' ...just my draw is more pronounced with the additional load on the shaft...so I open the face to the small minus setting...not happy with the pushes right. So back to the standard Ping standard setting I am used to with the G25.
Then I pull the ping weight from D6, install two washers to D4 then a half strip if lead tape to the under sole toe section of the head to add some fade bias. BINGO! a baby draw in a right to left wind...so I will stay there.
Ok now I am stoked and start pounding them 280yrds approx (unless the rollout is further...they are landing at the bottom of the rear net =280...perhaps more).

Next my wife finishes her range baskets and walks over...she know my drives!...she sets up behind me...Bam...honey what do you think?..."it come's off the face fast!...the ball is going further...its got good face action". Exactly! Ping G30 is a hotter face for sure!

Well this is today...10-20 balls. I will be back after tomorrows Tourney...with some on course results, then later back to the launch monitor...oh one more shot at the range...like the first tee tomorrow (worn ProV1x out of the bag)...this is for all the tea in China! 'Bam' smoked it the best yet! with more hang time...
Who-Hoo we split and saddle up for a Red and a stogie...The G30 is ...*&#$ AWESOME! (makes the G25 look dead)

1) you suck for making me contemplate a new driver. I *was* happy with my bag ;)

2) congrats on having a wife that actually knows enough about your normal ball flight to recognize a difference. I'm not sure mine would even realize that I had a new driver!

Thanks...I prefer writing here rather other wrx sites which my avast warns me of malware installed on some of their pages...yikes

Last edited:
The post was made by GolferGal in regards to a deleted post by a member that was put in temporary suspension.

I please PM me where...rude? I dont believe I was to anyone...I dont mind taking my 24years master club making experience, sound SEO knowledge and writing elsewhere for others to read...FYI most of my posts are ranking your site well in google...also if there was good content, as said by other readers...why just not edit it rather than delete it? Ahh the full moon...

Your efforts are appreciated--someone else posted a rude comment in this thread and that was what that was about--keep up the great info!

I please PM me where...rude? I dont believe I was to anyone...I dont mind taking my 24years master club making experience, sound SEO knowledge and writing elsewhere for others to read...FYI most of my posts are ranking your site well in google...also if there was good content, as said by other readers...why just not edit it rather than delete it? Ahh the full moon...

Oh goodness no, it was not in reference to you at all! It was another member who made a rude comment after yours that I deleted. You didn't see any of your posts deleted did you?

Keep the info coming, some is above my pay grade, but love the info and helps me under stand how the G30 works

good stuff, good info, friend had a g30 this last weekend, was getting good club head speed, but was still working the bugs out...could be really nice club...thanks for posting the info...

Interesting numbers indeed. I've hit the G30 and G25 and wasn't a huge fan of either. But it's great that you're having an amazing experience with the new stick. Keep the great updates coming!

The Tourney / 2 man scramble went well...

The G30 set up many Looong Drives to capitalize the shorter second shots.
We blew the comp by 6 strokes! Just like I felt in the launch monitor & Range my misses were reduced. My push was right rough...not OB, my pull draw actually was left FW or rough.

1: FW hit, 3. 276y up hill into wind bomb, 4. 284y Bomb FW up hill down wind that set up a eagle!, 5. Push right...playable hit my buddies tee shot, 6. FW Hit , 10. Push 2 ft miss off fw 285y , 12. Worst swing pull draw...still playable!, 13. BOMB FW 325y downwind hit the green! 2 ft offline... putting 30ft back for eagle...hole a birdie...wow!, 15. Dogleg left OB with pull draw that did not make it, but I was playing the shape of the fw R2L...so it was not that bad a shot...the result was worse , 16. Bomb FW power fade with into wind 264y, 18. Solid 250y into the wind FW hit, then I hit the g30 10.5 off the deck 258y on to the green! first time 'ever' doing this...its was leaking 10 right...but I think the turf pulled it open a touch...or it was me getting a head of it slightly.

I am chuffed I have a Nuclear 3 wood...My G30 Driver off the deck! ...its was that easy...even with my partner nervous!. Its was lift clean n place, so I had a good lie

In all I drove VERY well...the ball speed is up smokin it, like remember you had a steel driver head then they had miraging Ti, that's the kinda difference, the forgiveness is the big improvement over G25 and I feel this head wont wreak my round by the odd bad swing...I feel G30 not so big head bulky...or its slipping through the air.

I may ditch the second washer and replace more toe weight with lead tape...this should widen the sweet spot and give me a straight to baby fade

I was so impressed I bought the G30 3 wood in X flex today...ready to install my G25 Fiji F1 shaft if needed...will post next week on this

One thing I do know about drivers, if the sound is loud metallic, the face is hot - G30 is a 'lot' louder than G25...some dont like the sound, but they dont understand thinner harder faces, are as hot as a tin can. Remember the Nike Sumo Drivers and the noise they created..they were very hot...some illegal, which is why they stopped making them...I still hit my buddies Sumo 10.5 / reg 300 all day long, I swear its not legal. If its a dull thwack and so so distance, get rid of it

Also I ordered the UST Elements Chrome 6F4T Tour SPX in tour stiff for the G30...so we will have a shoot off at the monitor/range with the Fijikura Fuel 60x TS

I see my Hcp going down for sure...as I am managing the left...

Last edited:
Very informative. Have an opportunity to pick up a mint G25 with a Fuji Tour Spec for $250, heard it is a great combo. Or get the G30?

Very informative. Have an opportunity to pick up a mint G25 with a Fuji Tour Spec for $250, heard it is a great combo. Or get the G30?

G30...go with more head technology, pick up a pullout shaft on e-bay if the stock does not suit...

Good stuff!

Back