Working at a course -advice

Is it a private course? if so...Play every chance you can but never brag about your amazing par, birdie, etc. The members don't like to hear over and over you birdie their nemesis hole everytime YOU play. Never say outloud "I could pull that shot off." Someone might call your bluff and make you look like an angel or a jack@ss. Don't ever badmouth members to other members, word gets around. Always be nice to the ladies, they will for sure be the ones to complain the quickest!! Don't eat in front of people. Don't wear wrinkled clothes. Don't offer free advice unless you are allowed to give lessons and the member is not currently getting lessons from a pro/asst. If a member asks you do to something, even if it is not what you're supposed to do, asses the request. If it's not huge, just do it. If it is a big deal, politely decline and let the member know he can take the matter up with your supervisor or the pro. Then pray your boss backs you up! Um, always fix divots, ballmarks, rake, etc. It's not your course, it's the members. Only go golf ball hunting on caddy days. Don't ever drive a members car.

If it's public, do most of that stuff but mostly just be friendly but don't take any crap. If someone is a complete jerk and is tearing up the course, call the ranger or pro out and kick them out. Make slow people skip a hole if they are more than a hole behind. Don't pull any antics in the parking lot. I know more people that got fired for something in the parking lot than in the pro shop or on the range or course. Don't steal, obviously. Just be nice, and always ask the boss how you're doing, or if he need help, or if you can do anything more to help out. If you are the guy he can always rely on you'll be sticking around and he'll back you up on occasions when needed. Always good to have help in your corner.

In addition to what everyone else has said, if you don't show up ten minutes early, you're late. Of course, every job is like that.

Is it a private course? I've never seen a course with someone who cleans clubs after the 18th hole, but then again I mainly play public courses.

Congrats dude! I hope you love it!

Is it a private course? I've never seen a course with someone who cleans clubs after the 18th hole, but then again I mainly play public courses.

It's kind of an "upscale" public or semi-private course thing. When I lived in Virginia, a lot of the 70-90 dollar weekend courses had a guy who would come out on 18 and clean your clubs. A tip was standard. I felt a little bit extorted, but if I can afford to pay the greens fee, I guess a few bucks won't kill me.

It's public. You don't have to tip although most people do. I always thought it added to my experience and $2-$5 to have someone clean my clubs off after the round is fine with me.

It's public. You don't have to tip although most people do. I always thought it added to my experience and $2-$5 to have someone clean my clubs off after the round is fine with me.
That's me too Buck, I only play those type courses 5-10 times a year and most times it is a high school or college kid trying to make a few $$.

Best advice I can give you (worked at a course all through high school) is hustle. Don't let others have to ask you to do something, just keep yourself busy.

Back