Cleveland Smart Sole Wedges

Well, just practiced and played a full round with my new S wedge. Preformed just as good as my Callaway X-Tour 60 MD except in the bunker. The S wedge is incredible out of the bunker and outperforms my lob wedge. It's so weird taking a square stance and setting up the club head square in a bunker, but it works like a charm. Haven't hit it off the fairway or a tight lie yet, but so far I'm very happy with it. Can't wait to get the C wedge to try some green side bump and runs.

The S (with that approach) works really well in fluffy sand. I really struggled off of hard pan or wetter bunkers. Yes, that speaks to the quality of courses that I often play, but it was the reality.

I'm much better with a traditional, high bounce SW. I can pick it clean out of horrible surfaces and still do decently well in the fluffy stuff.

The S (with that approach) works really well in fluffy sand. I really struggled off of hard pan or wetter bunkers. Yes, that speaks to the quality of courses that I often play, but it was the reality.

I'm much better with a traditional, high bounce SW. I can pick it clean out of horrible surfaces and still do decently well in the fluffy stuff.

I've yet to try it off a hard pan or wet bunkers but will chime in with my experience when I do. I can see me carrying my traditional 60 wedge along with the S & C wedge to get the best results in all situations. My short game is very important to my game and my scores. On a side note, my S wedge is actually 60 degrees and not 58. Perhaps being 2 degrees weak added some more bounce to the wedge and might play slightly different than a 58 degree S wedge.

Taking the Niblick 42 for a new grip and then the battle for a bag spot begins.

Thinking about selling the Niblicks I don't use and trying these wedges out. Add in my factory SW for full swings around 100 yards, then these two for chips and lobs.

Thinking about selling the Niblicks I don't use and trying these wedges out. Add in my factory SW for full swings around 100 yards, then these two for chips and lobs.
Let us know how It works for you.

Still loving the C, but I took the S out a few months ago.

It's interesting that someone is taking the S out of the bag. I've heard of this happening from a few people. Most love the S and when I've heard that people have taken it out/don't use it anymore it seems to be because they have improved to a point where the forgiveness of the club restricts what one can do versus a regular lob wedge.

I'm wondering if I am also getting to that point. I love the club as I wrote about a few pages back, but there are some shots that I just cannot hit with it and it does not work well from the deep rough. I"m sure that I'd be better off with a regular lob wedge in that situation. It is also hard to hit from hard pan lies but can be done but I hit a lot of bad shots to get to a point where I can hit it from those lies.

I've taken the Niblick out of my bag. My wedges were not well spaced and I obtained a 46 degree Cleveland RTX CB PW. So the Niblick had to come out because all I was basically using it for was as a gap wedge anyway. I used to chip with it but since I've gotten so good with the S wedge, I chip and use that around the greens now. So I got some regular Cleveland 588 RTX CB wedges and spaced out between the PW and the S wedge. I sometimes put the C wedge in just for those really unusual shots that I have once a round or so.

I've been thinking about adding a wedge in between the C and the S. Maybe something like a low-bounce 53/54 that can be used to hit out of the hard sand. I probably use the full swing c to replace my gap or pitching wedge.

Maybe a CG16 54/10 or a CG16 56/10 that I could bend to whatever I need to fit the gap between the C (or my GW) and the S. Doesn't seem like any of Cleveland's recent CB offerings have low bounce options. If the C replaces my GW, I could bend the GW from 52/8 to 54/10.

I take a different approach. I don't put the C into my gap set up. I use it as a utility tool since its designed as a chipper/etc.

Last edited:
Let us know how It works for you.

Will do.

There are a couple pre-owned on eBay that I could combine shipping on, but I overspent for September (already), so have to move mine first, and a couple other things while I'm at it.

I use a set GW (49*) which goes about 115. I'm very happy with my ATV 58* wedge, which I use for 75-80 yards or so on a full swing and most green-side shots. The 54*, I could take or leave. I only use it for full swings, but it goes about 90-95 yards and I'd like something right at 100. Getting a matching SW (54*) would make sense and take care of the yardage issue.

I've been working on my bump-and-run game this year and it's on and off. Sometimes it works great, sometimes it needs to be dialed in before it works. I usually end up just pitching with my 58* when I play because I'm unsure of what club to use.

With that in mind, I picked up the 42* and 56* Niblicks. The swing weight and bounce are much higher than I'm used to, so I would leave a lot of shots short or skull them. Again, I typically revert to my 58* for all the greenside duty.

The experiment with the C would essentially just be a chipping club, as the 42* was supposed to be, but with a lighter swingweight and hopefully a more forgiving bounce. The S would replace the 58*, maybe. I love that particular loft for that particular job, especially if I had a go-to chipper. But I sometimes have trouble setting up or keeping the club head square to the line, so my distance will be spot on, but my line won't be.

I take a different approach. I don't put the C into my gap set up. I use it as a utility tool since its designed as a chipper/etc.

That would be my plan.

Driver
3 Wood
3 Hybrid
5-S Irons
S for sand and pitches
C for chips
Putter

I will have an S wedge incoming. Maybe a C as well, we shall see.

And now will have the C on the way.

Okay, got to use them at the range today.

For comparison's sake, I normally use a Taylormade ATV 58* for all my short game stuff, with the odd iron chip for long runs. I also have Niblicks in 42* and 56*, so those are pretty close.

The C wedge is definitely more usable than the 42* Niblick. There's less backspin which is nice because the Niblick (with zip grooves) checked up too quickly for me. And the swing weight is lower, which I wanted since it felt difficult to control and too different than an iron or wedge. But I found that it was rolling way too far for me. Maybe it was just the weird greens though. I'm intrigued enough to try it in the round tomorrow.

The S wedge is also more usable than the 56* Niblick. The Niblick had an extremely high bounce which meant I bladed shot after shot and then gave up. I would have to put it so far back in my stance and forward press that it essentially became a 48* club. My ATV 58* was better in every way. So the S wedge is an improvement as I was blading much fewer shots. But I'd still prefer less bounce. As for the loft, it was strange. The ball popped up easily, especially when hit low on the face, but then it rolled out a fair amount. My 58* ATV seems to check up much quicker. Also, the swing weight was higher than my wedges, which again makes it hard for me to control.

I did get a chance to try the S out of the sand as they apparently made a tiny sand trap on the practice area, and I don't know how to play out of sand but it seemed just fine. Play it like a normal chip or pitch and it seemed to work. But the sand was super fine, so maybe it's easier?

I didn't have my 58* ATV to compare them, so I'll have to do that another day. I'm very happy with my wedge game with the ATV but I'll try these wedges for a while. They are definitely a big improvement over the Niblicks, but I'm not sure I'll prefer them to the ATV. I like being able to open the 58* up a bit and the low bounce suits my picking style. But maybe in a head to head I'd prefer the Smart Soles.

Okay, got to use them at the range today.

For comparison's sake, I normally use a Taylormade ATV 58* for all my short game stuff, with the odd iron chip for long runs. I also have Niblicks in 42* and 56*, so those are pretty close.

The C wedge is definitely more usable than the 42* Niblick. There's less backspin which is nice because the Niblick (with zip grooves) checked up too quickly for me. And the swing weight is lower, which I wanted since it felt difficult to control and too different than an iron or wedge. But I found that it was rolling way too far for me. Maybe it was just the weird greens though. I'm intrigued enough to try it in the round tomorrow.

The S wedge is also more usable than the 56* Niblick. The Niblick had an extremely high bounce which meant I bladed shot after shot and then gave up. I would have to put it so far back in my stance and forward press that it essentially became a 48* club. My ATV 58* was better in every way. So the S wedge is an improvement as I was blading much fewer shots. But I'd still prefer less bounce. As for the loft, it was strange. The ball popped up easily, especially when hit low on the face, but then it rolled out a fair amount. My 58* ATV seems to check up much quicker. Also, the swing weight was higher than my wedges, which again makes it hard for me to control.

I did get a chance to try the S out of the sand as they apparently made a tiny sand trap on the practice area, and I don't know how to play out of sand but it seemed just fine. Play it like a normal chip or pitch and it seemed to work. But the sand was super fine, so maybe it's easier?

I didn't have my 58* ATV to compare them, so I'll have to do that another day. I'm very happy with my wedge game with the ATV but I'll try these wedges for a while. They are definitely a big improvement over the Niblicks, but I'm not sure I'll prefer them to the ATV. I like being able to open the 58* up a bit and the low bounce suits my picking style. But maybe in a head to head I'd prefer the Smart Soles.

How long in lenght was your bump and runs with your C Wedge?

How long in lenght was your bump and runs with your C Wedge?

I was using them at the practice range, so all different lengths. Anywhere from 10' to 50', uphill and downhill. They seemed pretty intuitive on shorter and mid-range chips on level ground, everything else I need more practice with.

I was using them at the practice range, so all different lengths. Anywhere from 10' to 50', uphill and downhill. They seemed pretty intuitive on shorter and mid-range chips on level ground, everything else I need more practice with.

Mine is on order and should be in any day now. Ordered it at 44 degrees. My plan is to use it where I use a putter (or where I'm tempted to use a putter) off the green.

Okay, played 18 with these clubs today.

I immediately regretted the decision to not bring my 58* wedge. I really struggled controlling distance with the S wedge. In close to the green, I was often going way too long and the ball was running out a fair amount. Further away, I was leaving my shots way short. I believe it cost me 5-6 strokes today.

But on the back nine, I seemed to figure it out somewhat, and I used about a half swing from 50 yards or so which landed two feet away and gave me my first birdie ever. On another hole, I landed the ball and it rolled and hit the pin but bounced about 10 feet away. It was pure guess work every time though.

It is really an automatic club though. The huge sole means that there's no guess work soling the club, and the weight means you really just swing through it easily. So it's a matter of controlling the distance through practice. I'm not sure I have the patience and I'm not sure it would benefit me in the long run.

As for the C wedge, I only used it a couple times. One of them had a nice line but rolled about 20 feet past the hole. The second time, it had a nice line and was about 30 feet short. Again, completely guess work on the distances.

I'll keep rolling them in practice, just as I did with the Niblicks, but so far not terribly optimistic. I have more confidence in my 58* wedge than any other club in the bag because I practice with it so much, and it feels like an extension of my irons (in terms of swing weight). The Niblicks were way too heavy and awkward, and these are kind of in between.

Okay, played 18 with these clubs today.

I immediately regretted the decision to not bring my 58* wedge. I really struggled controlling distance with the S wedge. In close to the green, I was often going way too long and the ball was running out a fair amount. Further away, I was leaving my shots way short. I believe it cost me 5-6 strokes today.

But on the back nine, I seemed to figure it out somewhat, and I used about a half swing from 50 yards or so which landed two feet away and gave me my first birdie ever. On another hole, I landed the ball and it rolled and hit the pin but bounced about 10 feet away. It was pure guess work every time though.

It is really an automatic club though. The huge sole means that there's no guess work soling the club, and the weight means you really just swing through it easily. So it's a matter of controlling the distance through practice. I'm not sure I have the patience and I'm not sure it would benefit me in the long run.

As for the C wedge, I only used it a couple times. One of them had a nice line but rolled about 20 feet past the hole. The second time, it had a nice line and was about 30 feet short. Again, completely guess work on the distances.

I'll keep rolling them in practice, just as I did with the Niblicks, but so far not terribly optimistic. I have more confidence in my 58* wedge than any other club in the bag because I practice with it so much, and it feels like an extension of my irons (in terms of swing weight). The Niblicks were way too heavy and awkward, and these are kind of in between.

You will find the S will really shine out of the sand. And I prefer to use the C as a chipper around the greens in fact I would rather be just off the green for a long chip and run than just on the green and have a long putt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Practiced with these again today.

The S wedge was going about 75 yards on a full swing. That's fine, just needed to know.

I did a LONG shootout between my 58* and the S. Big thing was my shots were consistently high launching with the S where my 58* sometimes was a bit thin and low. I need to place the ball back further in my stance though because of the bounce, but the low CG launches the ball up. The heavier weight throws off my distances though.

Forgot to update on the C wedge.

Still not getting the hang of this one. The high bounce means I have to play the ball back in the stance, which delofts the club, which increases roll. I did later watch a Dave Pelz video where he talks about playing the ball even further back of the rear foot, so maybe I'll try that.

I also found that the C and S are less forgiving of some bad lies. Between the high bounce and super wide sole, that seems to cause issues on downhill lies and in undulations. Granted, those shots might be tough with regular wedges too, but here I didn't know what to do. I was practicing where the ball was sitting in a dip in the ground, and the C was going past the hole while the S kept leaving it short. My 49* gap wedge was working much better here.

I'd hoped the wedges would make all the greenside shots simple, but I'm still not there yet. I can see the S wedge giving me a more consistent swing, although I will have to practice from a variety of lies and continue to work on distances. The C wedge so far hasn't given me much to be excited about, but I'll keep experimenting.

Oh yeah, I also was rolling the C wedge a number of times at home across the living room. That worked really well. Ball back in my stance, putting stroke, popped and rolled. Needed a bit more on it than I thought I would. So maybe it's the sole that's messing me up.

Forgot to update on the C wedge.

Still not getting the hang of this one. The high bounce means I have to play the ball back in the stance, which delofts the club, which increases roll. I did later watch a Dave Pelz video where he talks about playing the ball even further back of the rear foot, so maybe I'll try that.

I also found that the C and S are less forgiving of some bad lies. Between the high bounce and super wide sole, that seems to cause issues on downhill lies and in undulations. Granted, those shots might be tough with regular wedges too, but here I didn't know what to do. I was practicing where the ball was sitting in a dip in the ground, and the C was going past the hole while the S kept leaving it short. My 49* gap wedge was working much better here.

With respect to the ball position on the C, I personally think more upright chippers (e.g. Niblick 42) are a bit better more forward in the stance. The problem is that you can thin them. If you put them back in the stance, you de-loft them a lot and you're better off with a club with more loft.

Your issue with weird lies is exactly what I saw with the S. My high bounce, but thin soled CG14 (double dot) just works better for me.

the s was real easy to hit out of the sand (duh) but that is about the only shot i could use it for..

Back