Cleveland 588 Custom Driver Review

At address it seems to set up slightly closed- anyone else notice this? I didn't hit it yet, but holding it near my feet it appeared that way. I like that already.

Yeah the srixon shaft with the cleveland head will be a little looser. But if you put the cleveland shaft on the srixon head you can tell it's a little snug. But it will work.
You said it fits? Is it supposed to fit?

Yes i have noticed that and I feel the same with the 5 wood and 3 wood. Sometimes I wonder how I am esactly suppose to line up the face.
At address it seems to set up slightly closed- anyone else notice this? I didn't hit it yet, but holding it near my feet it appeared that way. I like that already.

Yeah the srixon shaft with the cleveland head will be a little looser. But if you put the cleveland shaft on the srixon head you can tell it's a little snug. But it will work.

and not fall off? haha

Yes i have noticed that and I feel the same with the 5 wood and 3 wood. Sometimes I wonder how I am esactly suppose to line up the face.

For me, the 5 wood is point and shoot. Hoping this is the same way. I line the face up with the middle of the fairway and it finds it.

no it's not that loose but you can tell the difference. If your home man just try it out. I really want to get these two on the monitor and see where I am at with them.
and not fall off? haha

no it's not that loose but you can tell the difference. If your home man just try it out. I really want to get these two on the monitor and see where I am at with them.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll report back.

For me I just aim the face and set up parrallel left and I get a straight ball or a touch of a fade. If I set up a little closed or open to the target I can work it left or right. My biggest issue is not trying to ramp up with each ensuing swing. A good swing good result causes a "lets swing harder and see if we can't get a better result." If I stay in tempo and keep the club up on plane and not quick and inside (which I have a tendency to do when I try and gorilla the ball) then the result is "ball go far and in short grass". I would be very interested to hear how the 588 Custom and the 545 heads work with the black tie shaft. I found a diamana white board in x flex I picked up at a golf store closing. I may have to get an adapter.... Wait what am I saying, good swing = good result. Why is that never enough.

Any update on the driver for you???

Didn't get out yet this week. Playing Sunday with it in the bag. It's been tough with coaching and chasing my daughter around:)

Getting out today with this. Hoping for straight.

Took this driver out to the course yesterday with ZERO range time. First tee - 285 fairway. The rest of the day was more of the same. I had the best driving day since the Morgan Cup (save one day when my 913 found its way into the bag). The stock shaft is very solid and not overly soft in x flex. I still might cut it down an inch at some point, but the extra length was not at all an issue for me. When a driver works for me, I can usually just take it right to the course, which was exactly the case yesterday. Looking forward to gaming this the rest of the season.

Great to hear that this driver gave you solid results the first time out, Tim. It's been a great driver for me so far.

Cleveland 588 Custom Driver Review

Great to hear that this driver gave you solid results the first time out, Tim. It's been a great driver for me so far.

Thanks my dude. I just wish I hadn't waited this long to get it. It really is a solid stick. Even better than I thought and I expected good results

Thanks my dude. I just wish I hadn't waited this long to get it. It really is a solid stick. Even better than I thought and I expected good results

Last time out with it I BOMBED some drives. A buddy of mine (who happens to be the father of one of my students) commented "I'm sick of seeing you hit your tee ball so well." during my last round. I just have to get my swing to be more repeatable now...I'm still throwing in a couple of hooks with this driver.

Last time out with it I BOMBED some drives. A buddy of mine (who happens to be the father of one of my students) commented "I'm sick of seeing you hit your tee ball so well." during my last round. I just have to get my swing to be more repeatable now...I'm still throwing in a couple of hooks with this driver.

It can happen with anything. One thing I like about the stock is that it forces me to be smooth at the top. If I do that, I can go as hard as I want and it holds up.

Just an update, I picked up a Classic XL custom with a stiff Matrix black tie shaft that I dropped into the 588 Custom Head. I really like that shaft and head combo. I do not loose it high right if I lean on it or get. quick. Knowing that, allows me to work on my tempo and not have to worry it I get a little quick from the top. I really love this club.

Just picked up one of these today for 59.00 off pre-owned and it had never been hit. It thought it was a steal. Took some swings on the LM and loved the numbers. Hope to game it tomorrow to see what it really does.

Just picked up one of these today for 59.00 off pre-owned and it had never been hit. It thought it was a steal. Took some swings on the LM and loved the numbers. Hope to game it tomorrow to see what it really does.

Serious steal dude. This is an awesome driver

Anyone have a 7 or 11 gram weight they aren't using?

Anyone have a 7 or 11 gram weight they aren't using?

I do have both, but I am out of town this week, I could send them to you next week

Thanks!!!

Just switched from the 588 Altitude driver to the 588 Custom, like this driver better than the Altitude just as long but a lot more accurate and consistent with it.

Back