After a couple range sessions and 9 hole rounds, I'm more worried about the gap between my 4wood and 3hybrid. I was hitting some bombs with the 4wood. I'm thinking I might need a +3hybrid to close the gap between the 4wood and 4hybrid.

that might be correct, then again there is a case of "horses for courses"..
for instance, im going to play "the European club" in a couple of weeks, and that is no place for a hybrid, need a penetrating ball flight for it..

but when i play "the K Club" later in the year, Ill need my hybrids to get over the bunker protected greens, and so on..

I guess ill allow the good people here to be the guinea pigs and see what are the best set ups :)

I have read a lot recently about people turning in their 3 and 5 woods and converting to a 4 wood. I used to do this when I played in high school golf, but eventually went back to the conventional 3&5 setup. Has anyone had experiences with this and if so, has going to the 4 wood made a difference in your game? I am thinking of purchasing a new 4 wood and throwing in a gap wedge. What are your thoughts?

I only carry a 4w now. Haven't used a 5W for years, and switched to the 4W because it's easier to hit than the 3W. I generally hit my driver from the deck better than I do a 3W, so if I really need the distance, I use that.

I'm hoping I will be able to get out an play this weekend. I might head to Syracuse for the Kentucky game(if they make it to Saturday). i also plan on adding an Adams A7 3hybrid. I have to wait for Tiger to tee off in the masters for me to get that club in the bag, thanks to a bet I won with my sister. After that my bag should be complete.

I have a 3w in my bag because conventional wisdom says you should have one. Objectively, I should remove it from my bag. I use my driver or my 2hybrid from the tee. I use the 2h from the fairway on par 5s and long par 4s. I would be better off with an extra wedge.

Here is my set make up: Driver, 3w, 2h, 4h, 5i to Pw, Gw, Sw, Xw(64 degrees).

In my case, here is where I could eliminate two clubs: 3w and one of 4h, 5i and 6i. I have a 25 yards or so gap between these three clubs. I coukld cover that with two clubs.

I would had a Lw to replace either the 3w or the extra long iron.

Robert

I have added both a Nike Dymo 4 wood and an Adams A7 3h to the bag. The Adams came in yesterday so I have had only a range session with it. The Dymo I have had for a few weeks now. I'm guessing it is going to take time to get used to it, but I feel as if I hit my old 3 wood better than the 4 wood. I am going to give it a little more time before I make a decision on keeping it in the bag or not. Could be just a little bit of buyers remorse I guess. Thank god i got it for less than 50 on ebay!

4 wood = yesteryears 3 wood. With todays low spin golf balls the lofts of todays clubs just don't equate to what we've been used to. I can remember when the tour players all had 6-8 degree lofts in their drivers. An 8.5 degree driver was considered high loft for a tour player. Well times have changed and now most tour players are using 8.5-10.5 degree drivers with todays low spin balls. Thats about a 2 degree difference from "back then", and so it makes sense that a 4-wood today is more like a 3-wood from before. I can remember my clubfitter telling me this about 5 years ago, about how he had changed his bag setup from 3 and 5 wood, to 4 wood and hybrid. I should have listened to him then but it took me 4 years to figure out that I could get more distance out of a 4-wood than a 3-wood. My mind couldn't accept this, but the results speak for itself.

mullie

Which would most players do better with ? A modern 15 degree 3 wood head on a 4 wood 42.5 inch shaft or a 17 degree head on a 43 inch shaft ?

I went with this set up recently, I prefer the extra wedge and the options they give me outweigh carrying a 3 and 5 wood.

So far I like it

I hafta say that, especially for my round yesterday, my 17* 3wood(4wood), was definately my go too club. I could hit 240+ off the tee, 220+ off the deck and was deadly accurate too. I managed to hit 265 with it off the tee once. I am glad I went this route instead of a 3-5 wood combo

I have read a lot recently about people turning in their 3 and 5 woods and converting to a 4 wood. I used to do this when I played in high school golf, but eventually went back to the conventional 3&5 setup. Has anyone had experiences with this and if so, has going to the 4 wood made a difference in your game? I am thinking of purchasing a new 4 wood and throwing in a gap wedge. What are your thoughts?

I'm pretty much doing the same thing except I haven't taken the 5 wood out yet and I'm still trying to figure which wedge I need. Since I'm a lefty my 4 wood options were kind of lmited, but I ended up getting a Ping G10 17*. My 1st rd I struggled a bit with it, but I literally took it out of the box and stuck it in my bag and played it without any range time. My 2nd rd with the Ping went better and it looks like it's going to work out fine. I just need to get things together on the other end of my bag...and that doesn't seem to be getting better at all.

Re: 4 wood

I used to carry. A 3 & 5 wood and looked at getting a 4w. I ended up hitting the Machspeed 5w so well that I just ended up using that and forgot about getting a 4w

I have a Dymo 4 wood in the bag, I am struggling with it so far. Has a v2 stiff shaft in it, for some reason I just haven't gotten comfortable with it yet. I did hit the Machspeed 4 wood over the weekend at a demo day and thought it was pretty good. Of all of the clubs I hit that day it was in my top 3. Behind the Wilson Fybrid HS 3 wood, and just slightly behind the Cobra S2. For the right price I would throw one of those in my bag immediately. I just added an Adams a7 3h to the bag last week. The 3w/4w is the last club I need to figure out for my bag.

I hafta say that, especially for my round yesterday, my 17* 3wood(4wood), was definately my go too club. I could hit 240+ off the tee, 220+ off the deck and was deadly accurate too. I managed to hit 265 with it off the tee once. I am glad I went this route instead of a 3-5 wood combo

Man I wish I could hit like that. I can't get a driver that far, never mind a 4 wood.

Man I wish I could hit like that. I can't get a driver that far, never mind a 4 wood.

Tell ya what, I didn't know I could hit that far either. I know I got some lucky rolls off of hills though. It really through my choosing a club off after I starting hitting the FW that far. I don't know what I changed, but in about a months time, my SS has went from 98 to 105.

Tell ya what, I didn't know I could hit that far either. I know I got some lucky rolls off of hills though. It really through my choosing a club off after I starting hitting the FW that far. I don't know what I changed, but in about a months time, my SS has went from 98 to 105.

that's awesome to get that kind of increase in your ss dust. i'm sure it has to do with the fact that you're now in golf season, you've got your bag totally outfitted and now you're just playing. it's good to hear that everything's working out for you. how are those bp's wearing?

I have two set-ups with woods: Driver (ZR-W 9.5) and 4 wood (Wishon 949MC 16.5) that I use most of the time and then a 3W (Wishon 949 MC 14) that I use on a couple of shorter courses where the extra 15-20 yards with the driver can get me into too much trouble. This happens most often on a tree-lined, 6000 yard(ish) course with fairway bunkers hovering just outside of 230 yards or so or where 240+ puts you into an awkward position on doglegs.

I've shafted the 4w differently than the 3w. Since the purpose of the 4w is long second shots where I still might want more trajectory, I use an Epic 65g(s) shaft. With the 3w, I want controlled "stingers" off the tee that reach out to about 230-235 so it's shafted with a NV 65(s). The distance between the two fairways is 10-20 yards typically but the 4w is much, much easier to hit from the 1st cut of rough or off uneven lies.

I used to play a Cleveland launcher 4 wood and I loved it. I have a 3 and 5 now (Adams & Wilson) and I don't think I could go back. I need to two when platying courses witha lot of doglegs.

Just put a 4 wood in the bag. I actually hit it longer than my old 3 wood.

Just put a 4 wood in the bag. I actually hit it longer than my old 3 wood.

What model 3 wood did you have? Did you replace it with much newer technology?

What model 3 wood did you have? Did you replace it with much newer technology?

I replaced a PIng G10 15.5* 3 wood UST V2 shaft, with a Taylormade 17* 4 wood Fujikura shaft. For me it is like night and day. Higher, straighter and longer. Never thought I would go away from Ping but there is a lot of good equipment out there and I went for overall performance.

Last edited:
Back