ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
I have read a lot recently about people turning in their 3 and 5 woods and converting to a 4 wood. I used to do this when I played in high school golf, but eventually went back to the conventional 3&5 setup. Has anyone had experiences with this and if so, has going to the 4 wood made a difference in your game? I am thinking of purchasing a new 4 wood and throwing in a gap wedge. What are your thoughts?

I rarely use my fairway woods, so I decided on going to a 17* 3 wood (same loft as a 4 wood) to fill in the blank between my 3h and driver. This gave me the opportunity for more wedge options that I am still contemplating.

• Staff
I rarely use my fairway woods, so I decided on going to a 17* 3 wood (same loft as a 4 wood) to fill in the blank between my 3h and driver. This gave me the opportunity for more wedge options that I am still contemplating.

I noticed in your sig that you use the 09 launcher 17. I am looking at that club as well. How would you rate it? There is a pretty good price break on it currently because of the new line.

I have read a lot recently about people turning in their 3 and 5 woods and converting to a 4 wood. I used to do this when I played in high school golf, but eventually went back to the conventional 3&5 setup. Has anyone had experiences with this and if so, has going to the 4 wood made a difference in your game? I am thinking of purchasing a new 4 wood and throwing in a gap wedge. What are your thoughts?
Don't know about 4W, but I put 19degree Hybrid replacing 5W and 3I

I noticed in your sig that you use the 09 launcher 17. I am looking at that club as well. How would you rate it? There is a pretty good price break on it currently because of the new line.

I only tested out a few (Burner, Dymo2, and the Launcher) before I snatched the Cleveland on ebay for <$80. I might only use it 1-2 times in a round if that, so I just needed something to upgrade from my beginner set. I think it will be good for me. I got it over the winter and have only had a couple range sessions with it so far, but it seems to be coming around. I'm hoping for some course time this week if I can free up a few things.

If you are comfortable hitting woods I think you should try a 4w because a rescue will not give you the same distance except perhaps the Adams which play at least a club longer. Try the r9 17*. I have the tp 5w and it goes a serious distance.

• Staff
If you are comfortable hitting woods I think you should try a 4w because a rescue will not give you the same distance except perhaps the Adams which play at least a club longer. Try the r9 17*. I have the tp 5w and it goes a serious distance.

The R9 is one I will try..although I have to be somewhat price conscious. I am thinking of adding the 4w and then a 3 hyrbrid. Right now I took the hyrbid out of my bag for the extra wedge. I think that if i have the 4w, 3H,4-pw, 52,56,60 I should have all of my bases covered.

If you want the option of a rescue try the adams idea pro 16* which you might be able to get at a good price over your side of the pond. I vave the 20* and 23* that I got from a local pro because they are hard to get over here. They are brilliant in terms of distance and accuracy

In my search for a 4w i'm finding that not all co's make one so I'm revising my search/list to either the Cleveland Launcher 3w (17*) or a new 5w which would replace my current one. Perhaps the new technology in todays FW's will allow me to hit a 5w farther. Right now I hit my current 5w 185-200 but I'm looking to fill the gap between my 4i and Driver with something that hits in the 220-225 range.

That is exactly what I did. Difference between D and 4W is about 30-40 yards, then about 20y to my 3i. I don't have any hybrids. I recently put in a 49* niblick to round me out to 14 clubs, it is essentially a gap wedge.

My distances are much different than yours though...
D-280
4w - 240
3i - 220

Last edited:
That is exactly what I did. Difference between D and 4W is about 30-40 yards, then about 20y to my 3i. I don't have any hybrids. I recently put in a 49* niblick to round me out to 14 clubs, it is essentially a gap wedge.

My distances are much different than yours though...
D-280
4w - 240
3i - 220

do you think it'd be nuts if I carried a 4w and a 5w? Might ditch the 3i as an option....

D- 260
4w- 220-230 est.
4i- 200-210
5w- 185-200

I would think you would hit the 5wood farther than the 4i

I would think you would hit the 5wood farther than the 4i

If it was newer tech yes which is why I'm thinking of upgrading it

I play the Launcher DST 17*, for much the same reason Dirt_Guy does. It fills the gap from my driver to 3hybrid quite well.

Same here. I have played a 4 wood for a while now. When I can keep myself from trying to 'push' the club, I'm only 20 or so yards shorter than my driver, and it's a good gap between the driver and my 3H (21°).

Last season I made the switch to a one wood bag. That wood being a 4 wood.

I never owned a three wood, but I ended up scrapping the 5 wood for the 4 and going w/ the 3 iron and 4 iron hybrids to cover my yardage gaps after the 4 wood.

I actually ended up cutting my bag down under the 14 club limit. So, right now, I'm only carrying 13 clubs.

After reading the Machspeed hybrid thread, I just might have to check a 2 hybrid out in that line. Would I REALLY need it? No. But I want one. :D

I went to a 4 wood about a year ago.

I went to a 4 wood about a year ago.

I found an old Adams tour only 18 degree 4 wood, the face is ridiculously hot. It's good for 255. I also carry the Pro Black Hybrids in 23 degree and 26 degree. The 23 degree is good for about 235 and the 26 goes about 220. I carry 5 iron - PW (47 degree), AW (52 degree), SW (57 degree) and LW (62 degree) all of my wedges are the same length. Sometimes I'll swap my 4 iron for the 26 degree hybrid. You should try a gap (attack) wedge, a smooth one for me goes 125. That way I have a full easy shot from 100 out. I hope this helps.

David

do you think it'd be nuts if I carried a 4w and a 5w? Might ditch the 3i as an option....

D- 260
4w- 220-230 est.
4i- 200-210
5w- 185-200

Those distances look do-able. Wouldn't need a 3i in there as the gap isn't that large. I have also taken the D out of the bag on several occasions and just went with the 4w on tight courses.

Those distances look do-able. Wouldn't need a 3i in there as the gap isn't that large. I have also taken the D out of the bag on several occasions and just went with the 4w on tight courses.

sweet, thanks for the input rbelbin! :clapp:

If it was newer tech yes which is why I'm thinking of upgrading it

newer technology would change about 5 yards. if you his your 4i that far, that your 5i should be right behind it, no? Also, newer technology wont get around the fact that the 5 wood is longer and has a bigger clubhead, so it should be farther that your 4i.

Thainer how do you like your Fybrid? I have found some good price breaks on those clubs.

I just picked up a Nike Dymo 4 wood with a UST V2 shaft on it from ebay for 38 bucks. Club listed as mint condition. I will let you know how I like it when it arrives.

Nice work! I got mine on "the bay" too, I tested it at the local golf store and got it on the bay for 1/3 the price.

im working on overhauling my bag, have new irons, new putter, niblick 56 on the way. next to look at are the woods.

I would like the Taylormade R9 Supertri,
I would also like the Taylor made 2009 4h.

If i choose to replace the 3+5W, then the 4W is certainly a contender.
I can imagine me replacing those 2 for a 4W, but only if i can find a suitable one. I hope i dont leave too big a gap after the Driver though.

If i choose to replace the 3+5W, then the 4W is certainly a contender.
I can imagine me replacing those 2 for a 4W, but only if i can find a suitable one. I hope i dont leave too big a gap after the Driver though.

After a couple range sessions and 9 hole rounds, I'm more worried about the gap between my 4wood and 3hybrid. I was hitting some bombs with the 4wood. I'm thinking I might need a +3hybrid to close the gap between the 4wood and 4hybrid.

Back