Just got fitted..

Schweitzer_07

Reaction score
Hey guys, just got fitted for a driver for the first time and wanted to tell about my experiences / ask a few questions.

First, the fitting experience was awesome. Got to hit any and every club that I wanted, with a few different lofts and shafts for each club. I had a swing speed of about 115 with a very quick tempo. My personal favorite was the Callaway FT Tour, followed by the Titleist 909D2. The Callaway had a smaller head and shorter shaft than say the Burner Superfast, and that helped me to control it and feel more confident with it. It also didn't have a loud impact sound, but it flew extremely well.

I know that I need an X-flex shaft with a high kickpoint, and wondered if you all had ideas on what the best shaft for that head would be. I hit the stock 67 gram Voodoo that came with it, but it is a low kickpoint shaft according to what I have read. Just hoping I can get some ideas so that when I order it I can tell them what shaft I want, and maybe see if they can order a few for me to try beforehand.

You may want to pick up or order a copy of THP the magazine as well as listen to the latest podcast. Both have shaft expert Tim Gillis interviewed and answering questions. One of the things he talks about is how there is no standard at all in shafts. So going into it saying you want XS with this kick point might limit yourself. You may be better off going to a fitter and trying out as many shafts as you can and on a monitor find out which best fits your swing and the new head you aer choosing.

I know when I did that, it was completely different than what I expected and I quickly learned that not all shafts are created equally.

When you say you got fitted for a driver, what did the fitting consist of? Just trying a bunch of heads out? Or were you fit for all the launch conditions, because if so, I would assume that shaft fitting was part of that.

I knew I didn't need (not saying I didn't want...) new irons or wedges, so I told him I was focused on getting a more consistent shaft in my driver and 3 wood. He had me hit my driver for a little while, and suggested some things that I should try based on what he saw. He wanted to lower my ball flight and give me a shaft that was more stiff. I tried a few different heads and liked the FT Tour the best. Unfortunately, the amount of X-flex shafts they had were very limited. I only got to hit one X-flex (and it was a stock X-flex from another driver with a mid kick, so it didn't tell me much) but he kept telling me that was what I would need based on my speed and tempo. I really don't know where I would be able to try out any large number of shafts in my area, so it may be a case of me reading and hopefully guessing right when I order.

Your exact thoughts are answered in the latest podcast on the home page by one of the true shaft experts in the industry. You may want to have a listen. It is brand new as of yesterday.

Your exact thoughts are answered in the latest podcast on the home page by one of the true shaft experts in the industry. You may want to have a listen. It is brand new as of yesterday.

I like his idea of trying out a few different demo clubs; however, that is much like I did today, and I still run into the problem of very few retailers in this area and very little selection by way of X-flex shafts. The only ones within an hour of where I am from are the ones that come stock on drivers sent to Dick's Sporting Goods (which they receive very few of anyway). Unfortunately I just don't believe that I am in a situation where it will be easy to find the so called "perfect" fit.

I like his idea of trying out a few different demo clubs; however, that is much like I did today, and I still run into the problem of very few retailers in this area and very little selection by way of X-flex shafts. The only ones within an hour of where I am from are the ones that come stock on drivers sent to Dick's Sporting Goods (which they receive very few of anyway). Unfortunately I just don't believe that I am in a situation where it will be easy to find the so called "perfect" fit.

That goes back to what our shaft expert said though. YOu should not going into it looking at just XS, because one companies XS can be another companies S and so on. There is no standard in the shaft business. Do you have a Golfsmith in your area? Check out shaft company websites and they usually have an area to find out where you can get fit in your area.

That goes back to what our shaft expert said though. YOu should not going into it looking at just XS, because one companies XS can be another companies S and so on. There is no standard in the shaft business. Do you have a Golfsmith in your area? Check out shaft company websites and they usually have an area to find out where you can get fit in your area.

True about not going in looking at X-flex, and I'd definitely be open to any shaft as long as I could hit it and feel comfortable with it. The nearest Golfsmith is about 2 hours away.. not exaggerating when I say I live in a rural area haha

My nearest Golftec is almost 3 hours away. I'm thinking about going there tomorrow, Omaha, but doubt they will do a fitting without an appointment. I have to do something about my driver, lol.

True about not going in looking at X-flex, and I'd definitely be open to any shaft as long as I could hit it and feel comfortable with it. The nearest Golfsmith is about 2 hours away.. not exaggerating when I say I live in a rural area haha

Take a look at Miyazaki Black to lower the flight. You can ask some forum members about it from the FL Golf Outing. Both tcalloway and setho are both hooked on that exact shaft. Tim talks about their unique fitting and what to do if a dealer is not near you in the podcast this week.

My nearest Golftec is almost 3 hours away. I'm thinking about going there tomorrow, Omaha, but doubt they will do a fitting without an appointment. I have to do something about my driver, lol.

I would definitely make an appt.

I'll be down in Wichita next week, may just get it done there. I hope to listen to your show tomorrow. Liz is watching the tube right now.

Back