Recommend me wedge

garethw

Reaction score
Handicap
Currently using Callaway Apex irons with PW, AW and SW but I'd like a new 58* wedge.

I can get steep on my swing and occasionally have deep divots. The courses I tend to play vary from very hard and tight to soft, fluffy holding water.

My current old 58* is used for full swings, half swings, small chips around the fringe, occasionally out of bunkers if they have a steep face to them.

Bounce and grinds are bit of mystery so Im looking for a versatile all round use forgiving (if there is such a thing) wedge. Brand isn't a priority nor is having the newest or latest model.

Thanks.

Funny you should mention those the shop at the local course here has them on sale at the moment.

In addition to DawgDaddy's suggestion above, I'd check out the Cleveland 588 RTX CB as well.

I love the versatility of the 588 2.0 CB wedges. They offer something that most dont in some added forgiveness.

I love the versatility of the 588 2.0 CB wedges. They offer something that most dont in some added forgiveness.

+1 here. 588 RTX 2.0 offer forgiveness, relief on heel and toe and great spin.

Ping i25 set wedges are awesome.

Cobra Tour Trusty.

I've played tour trusty and Bridgestone J40 wedges and found both to be pretty versatile. The J40 is a little older so you might be able to pick one up on the cheap, but it is still a great wedge and I know many on THP who swear by them. Good luck finding one that works for you.

I just picked up a vokey sm5 58* with 11 of bounce in the K grind last night. I really like it. I tend to get steep on my swing as well and my miss is a fat chunk. Mine threw down multiple balls during my round last night and hit lots of shots into greens and not one fat shot.

With my old 60* sm4 vokey with 7* of bounce I had to be very cautious of my swing to make sure I didn't get to steep or I was chunking it. And while doing that making sure I was just steep enough not to blade the ball 2 feet off the ground and 50 yards deep haha.

Big fan of my hopkins 58* it's my do all club.

Bridgestone j40.

Don't overlook the TM ATV. I really like the versatility of it. You can close it and go all the way to laying it flat (extreme open)

Don't overlook the TM ATV. I really like the versatility of it. You can close it and go all the way to laying it flat (extreme open)
Not the prettiest to look at, but I play the 58 ATV because of the versatility of the bounce.

How about something unique to go with those upscale Apexes.

I have a set shafted with Steelfibers. Love them for everything. I don't buy into the Miura mystique thing, but these have a layer of copper under the finish and they really do feel different. Everyone who has tried looks surprised and comments on the feel of them. They are unique that much is certain.

http://www.tourspecgolf.com/blog/introducing-the-new-miura-giken-wmf-06-forged-wedge/

I also have a TM Tour Preferred ATV grind that is excellent. ATV versatility with a more elegant look.

If you are looking for finesse shots, mostly pitchiing, lob, sand, chips, etc... then give SCOR a try. A bit pricey, but a great all-around wedge. Hopkins can offer various grinds with multiple customization from shafts, to grips to colors and they come in three different finishes now. Currently I am gaming the ATV and it is a really good wedge. I have taken full swings down to small lobs.

If your taking deep divots why not look at the taylormade atv or the new tour preferred with the atv sole!
The atv can be had cheap right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently using Callaway Apex irons with PW, AW and SW but I'd like a new 58* wedge.

I can get steep on my swing and occasionally have deep divots. The courses I tend to play vary from very hard and tight to soft, fluffy holding water.

My current old 58* is used for full swings, half swings, small chips around the fringe, occasionally out of bunkers if they have a steep face to them.

Bounce and grinds are bit of mystery so Im looking for a versatile all round use forgiving (if there is such a thing) wedge. Brand isn't a priority nor is having the newest or latest model.

Thanks.

It's funny how when one man's need is shared by many lol. I've been fortunate to try out a lot of clubs this year, wedges included. I've tried out the Vokey's, Ping gorge tour and the Callaway mack daddy 2. I would say the Ping gorge wedge with the standard sole (SS) were pretty forgiving when I started out as a digger (the W/S was even better). But as I got better about that the Vokey's gave me more grind options since I wanted less bounce. The Mack daddy's for me did have the same touch as the Vokey's did. ALL THAT being said, those 3 I can easily say are 2nd best to the new Mizuno MP-T5. It's a forged wedge with incredible feel with a wide array (almost an overkill) of loft and bounce options. I think Mizuno outdid themselves with these forged wedges. A fitter can help you figure out your bounce options, pro/cons and what you need.

Good Luck!

I am liking the Ping Tour Gorge wedges - great action off of the face, nice ball flight, and you can get a custom grind (I got a SS standard sole heel grind, based on the area of the country that I play).

I also rec the TM ATV. Can be found cheap as well

Thanks a bunch for all the posts and recommendations, this has given me a few ideas to ponder.

Does anyone have any experience with the Nike VR X3X Dual Wide wedge?

I'm a big fan of the Scratch 1018

I've been using the Smart Sole S wedge and it sounds like a good fit. Lots of bounce, wide sole, easy to use, can hit full shots down to chips, works great out of the rough too.

Back