Costs of Lessons - Does it Stop You?

I have always wanted to take some lessons, but I have heard horror stories about it screwing up their game and it worries me. BUT Considering how horribly I have been playing this last month I am seriously considering taking lessons for the first time ever in prep for The Grandaddy. Cost is definitely a factor. I am looking at a sheet right now and its 45/half hr and 90/hr or I can get 4 1/2 hrs for 160.

Which is more beneficial? I don't what you can accomplish in 1/2 hr but it seems like it would fly by.

I tried 1/2 hour lessons and unless you are going to same person each time and building on the previous lesson, imo its useless. One thing I did was find an instructor who was willing to work with my swing and not make a drastic overall (thankfully there was a lot he liked in my swing so that helped). IMO finding an instructor is like conduction a job interview for him, you have to make sure there is a fit and both have the same goals.

Yes and no. If I had the money to spend on them, I wouldn't hesitate to take lessons. I took several lessons with a local guy about 10 years ago and he completely changed my game around. Then got married, had kids, etc. When I was single I could spend the money on lessons ($50/hour at the time) and still be able to play and practice. Now I'm lucky if I can play one round a month. I'm not inclined to spend that $50 for lessons instead of a full round. I'd love to take 3-4 more just to see where I'm at, but I just can't do it.

The specific cost of the lessons doesn't stop me from taking them, not having the extra money to spend on them does.

yea definitely. I did a 15 lesson package at golftec and it did wonders, but i just can't justify it right now again from a cost perspective. Have been meaning to shop around and see if I can find something a bit more economical

I think the lessons I took earlier this year were $85 an hour, not counting the 75 minute drive each way. They were absolutely worth it given what I was trying to prepare for and accomplish, but I certainly can't afford to do that over longer periods. I can see myself using the same individual a couple times a year as needed, but short of hitting Powerball numbers, it won't be as many times as I wish I could.

The cost doesn't really stop me, just makes me consider when I take them a little more carefully. I have taken 4 or 5 lessons in the past year, and they have helped me understand my swing much better and what changing setup, ball position, swing path, etc. will do to the ball flight. My highest scores aren't as high, but my lower scores are approximately the same - so my cap has stayed more or less the same. I am fully confident in the belief that if I (1) keep up with my short game and putting, which I have been woefully short on lately (no pun intended) and (2) take a few more lessons and practice to improve my ballstriking, I can lower my handicap to single digits, as has been my goal for around 2 years now.

No. My PGA Pro charges $25 for a half hour. Money well spent now and then.

I think the cost of golf lessons are too high. Sure, the personal one-on-one is great, but there is so much free instruction on youtube and other sources that I can usually find a "fix" for what is currently ailing my golf game. I've gone for individual lessons twice in my 50+ years of golfing, and one group lesson. Only one (pro at local course 30 years ago) was worth the money and provided results.

Definitely a deterrent for me. The cheapest is around $45 an hour, and they go up from there.

The main issues for me are:
-Distance I have to travel for good teaching
-The cost of said lessons for good teaching

If good teaching was cheaper/closer, it wouldn't be as big of an issue. I take issue with having lessons with pros who don't dedicate that 1/2 hr or hr slot to my lesson. If I am paying for a fitting, or for a lesson, I want to address things that affect my game. I do not want to be told to "go hit balls, there isn't anyone to run the pro-shop so I need to cover it"

No getting better is important to me

Three things stop me from getting lessons.

1. Time- I have 5-6 hours per week for golf with my wife, 2 kids, coaching football and work. I would have to give up a round to take lessons and I normally just opt to play. If I get in a funk, I normally skip my weekly round and spent 3-4 hours on the range to straighten things out.

2. Cost- I definitely think cost is a factor. Most guys that I've heard are good are $80-100 per lesson and that's 2-4 rounds I could play. I know I would benefit but I'm a cheap skate.

3. Destroying my game in a effort to change my swing. I know I miss low and left, I know I get way too quick and hit it thin so even when I'm off I can scrape things around ok. In the past, when I've tried to get lessons, the instructors want to change everything. I don't want to hit a power fade, even if the instructor likes it best. I like a straight ball or a draw and I haven't found an instructor that will work with what I've got which is a pretty decent swing that I can score pretty well with.

That all being said, I honestly haven't looked for an instructor because of the reasons stated above. If my game ever went into an extended slump that I couldn't get through, I'm sure I'd try to find someone to help me.

I feel some need lessons that will greatly help their game but I don't feel it will help me for how much lessons are. I didn't pay to learn to play baseball, basketball, run track, play soccer, play tennis and now to play golf. If I was going to try and make the PGA Tour then I could understand the benefit and that making the tour could pay back for the lessons took but that's not the case here. I play to have fun and I feel I can teach myself. If I spend enough time with any sport I usually turn out being ok at it.

Funny this topic came up today.

My club's Monday morning newsletter mentioned something about a "semi-annual lesson package". I asked about it and got a lengthy response, part of which is:

"The basis of the package came from the success of the package I offered in the summer of 2010. As an instructor, the most pressure I feel during a lesson is providing enough positive instruction to justify a student paying $120 per hour. The problem is I know, through personal experience, that it is pretty much impossible to make substantial changes to really improve anyone's swing/game in one session let alone just a few sessions. It's a process and a long one at that. Now you factor in $120 per hour and that process can become an expensive one."

The package is $1,750. For that you basically get whatever you need during the 'season' in Florida (November to May). They are recommending a single 1 hour lesson a week on full swing, "
with structured lessons on short game, putting and swing tune ups in between your weekly lesson". Essentially, if you take only the single one hour lesson once a week, with nothing else, the cost is $70 per lesson.

I think it is an interesting idea, though very expensive. The lessons are with the assistant pro, who is a former Web.com tour player and Big Break contestant (and all around good and fun guy). I'm a guy who needs lessons, golf is not one of my 'natural' sports and I do not have a comprehensive knowledge of the swing. But I can put my body in all kinds of interesting positions, which makes me dangerous because I can do all kinds of random things with my swing...I just don't know what is 'good' and what is 'bad', except at the extremes. But for someone who needs or wants lessons, and is willing to be dedicated to taking multiple lessons per week (like getting ready for Morgan Cup), I think it is an interesting take on the traditional lesson plan.

As a beginner I have researched the options of the benefits of lessons or a coach Vs the cost. Specially because I am budget constrained at the moment. But as I surf through the online communities see a lot of players mention the cost of the lessons doesn't match their need for lessons. Then I see the same person complaint of frustration because they can't hit their woods and have removed them from their bag. Then in another thread they shows off their new set of $1200 irons (their third set this season). So I am confused. Or maybe they are.

I plan on taking instruction at some point. Just to get a perspective. And i can hit my woods.

I've always been reluctant to hit up the local pro, but each of the last 3 pros has told me it was on the house when it came time to pay. Might be a unwritten rule for first timers or perhaps I am just unteachable. I like the idea of Golftec and SwingPro. That way you can always go back and reference what was taught.

I do feel that lessons are expensive if the equipment isn't there. I know people's time is money and I would have my own number if someone needed help. A lot of shops near me have pros just standing around though. You'd think they would lower the price until they were booked full and then creep it back up.

I paid $80-90 hour for lessons when I was working PT at a golf course and playing golf for free. I enjoyed having a great coach and a beautiful course/learning center but I wouldn't pay that now. I'm like OG, we're at a point in our life where the physical limitations keep getting us down and that puts a whole new perspective on the game when you are finally able to get out there and play.

Price hasnt stopped me from going but rather my job and knowing I wont get the practice I need to get the true value out of it.

In most cases. Yes it would. I'm was lucky to find the pro I found. For one we're on the same page when he's teaching me. And two he charges $50 a month for 2 lessons per month with a one year agreement. Can't beat it. I'm sure he does it because for every person like me that uses everything he offers there's two more that use it once or twice in 6 months. Works for me!

Average around me is $70 for 30 mins.

No, but my instructor is $50 for a 45-60 minute lesson, so I freely admit I'm getting a good deal. He isn't a TrackMan, position-oriented, overhaul your swing sort of guy, which also helps. Just wants to help people play better golf. Also, if you've been his student, and he runs into you on the range, he'll ask how you're doing and if there's anything you feel like you need to work on, including taking a look at a couple of swings (he did this for me this morning) and offering some advice. Just kinda his style.

I think overall if my coach charged a bit more, I still wouldn't consider the cost to be prohibitive.

The coach I used this year was $90 an hour and a 90 minute drive. Totally worth it for what I got from them in terms of changing my game.

Because I won't take the time to integrate recommended changes. I despise the range with a passion.

Also, I'm pretty content with my game. Current swing plus frequent playing (weekly) can get me to a 7 max and I would be happy with that.

Being a 2 would be great but I won't put in extra range time to get there.
Pretty much how I feel too. Although I've often considered them and routinely recommend them to friends as a shorter path to a sound swing, I've never had a lesson.

I was always fairly certain that I wouldn't put in the necessary work to ingrain swing changes. That and I'm stubborn and thought I could teach myself to be decent.

So I've saved lots and lots of money but along with that, I'm sure I've wasted quite a bit of time too.

Ive never had a lesson due to the price. The pro at my club (John Garner, played Ryder Cup in 1971) charges about $50 for 30-45 mins, he does video you on his tablet and then sends it to you with information and what to practise. He is very nice and my Mum and Dad have actually brought me a lesson for my birthday with him when im ready. Only thing im worried about is having to go back for more lessons and don't have the $$$ spare, I make about half that an hour at my job. Maybe I might save some and just go see him and see what he says.
The other pro's around here charge about $60 an hour.

Been thinking about this a bit lately. While my course has more reasonable lesson prices (I think it's somewhere in the realm of 60 per hour) my go-to Professional - AKA the person who actually helps my swing rather than wastes my time - charges 90 per hour and is now about a half hour away from my house.

I think that's pretty steep, and I believe it's stopped me from going to see him on a more regular basis despite my belief that I need a lesson to improve my ball striking. So I ask you guys, how much does cost factor in why your lesson frequency? Is there a number you'd be more inclined to pay for lessons on a regular basis?
Cost is a huge factor. At 50/hr, I'm all in on lessons/coaching. Unfortunately, the best I can find is $80 and at that point I'd rather just go play golf

I'm self taught for the most part having only taken 6 or 8 lessons since 1980. When I was younger I was too poor and mostly too foolish to take lessons. Now that I have the money for lessons and the mind set that I possibly could gain something from them, I don't have the time to practice. In a few years when a couple of my kids are off to college and my wife is retired, I plan on taking some lessons. Hopefully I will be able to fix some of the engrained swing flaws that have been with me for 35 years. This game wouldn't be golf if it wasn't an endless quest for improvement. :act-up:

I pay $62.50 for a 45 minute lesson, but that's a discount for buying 6 lessons at a time. The normal rate is $65 an hour for single lessons. I like the instructor and he typically spends 1.5 to 2 hours with me and doesn't charge extra. He's very generous with his time and has helped me a ton. If only I could be more consistent though...

Back