Competition vs Casual

I prefer casual because usually it's just bragging rights I'm shooting for anyway. If it is for competition then that's ok too... if it's just a friendly small betting type of thing.

casual for me. I like the idea of having fun. Not to say it cannot happen competitively but it usually gets folks upset when things don't go their way. I'm all for laid back....perhaps having a beer or three and just seeing what happens next. heck I don't even keep score that's how chill I like to keep it.

I enjoy casual golf, and if a "little" something is bet on the side that is OK with me. At my age, the last thing I need is a bunch of cut throat old senior golfers hovering over me and telling me to putt out my 6" putt so they can win or lose a couple of dollars. The foursome I play with 2-3 times a week is very competitive, we rib each other, BS each other, but never get so serious that we forget to have fun. At the end of each round $4/$5 at the most, changes hands. Over the course of the year we've each probably broken even.

I like both but I really like competing win or lose.

I like casual competition. A small wager but mostly for pride.

I like casual rounds, relaxing with friends makes the game enjoyable. I hadn't played much competitive golf since my teaching pro days, but started playing the occasional money game again this year. It took me some time to get used to the mindset, but I found I enjoy playing competitive rounds almost as much.

As a beginner hacker, everything is a competition, against my mind, against the course, against the greens, against my sanity. Some players have told me to take it one hole at a time, but what they don't know is that currently, I take it one swing at a time. Every swing is a competition, to do better that the prior one, to make less mistakes. And when I do, I feel victorious! Once I have a handicap established, I am sure I will welcome the idea of competing against others, but right now, I have enough competition breathing down my neck, on every swing of the club.

-Big Al

Mostly, it's casual anymore, so that's what I prefer. However, I enjoy getting the competitive juices flowing to get my game and focus sharp.

I mostly enjoy casual rounds with friends, but I enjoy a friendly competition every now and then.

I always favored the casual rounds; laughing, having a good time with friends. Sometimes, we have our own tournaments, but fun is always the main goal.

But today, I played my first competitive round of golf, and I have to say, I liked it! You go in with a completely different mindset. Definitely want to do this more often!

Casual rounds, as for me golf is meant to be a fun alternative to the daily grind. I don't keep a handicap, and I can't compare my game to others. I'm out there only competing with my own mind and trying to play good golf.

Which is why I don't hit out of divots, I play OB as a lateral hazard, and I might not drop in the right place.

I've played skins for thirty years until recently along with league(s) of years and I always enjoy it, I love the time just playing a means nothing round with my wife or other family members and close friends.

I think I'm all but done with the competition rounds.

I love golf in either form, but competition really gets my juices flowing.

I'm honestly fine either way. I can play a casual round with buds and have the time of my life with nothing on the line. Competition is fun to though, whether a small money game, match play, an event or tournament. I don't know that I would want all my rounds to be one type or the other. Having a balance between casual and competitive keeps the game well rounded for me.

I like both.

After playing in my first competition in a while, the competitive spirit is revving to get back into it. But I also prefer casual rounds as well especially early in the year after some time off.

After experiencing club vs club competition this year im going to say I enjoy both aspects. Sometimes I like to just have a cruisy casual round with good mates, but im definitely not going to shy away from a little competition.

Competition rounds especially best ball tournaments are fun but I enjoy playing casual with family and friends also.

I much prefer casual rounds. Unfortunately, everyone I know has to be playing for something when they play, so I'm usually involved in some sort of money game.

Honestly golf is a competition every time u play. It's a competition against urself. I love regular competition but when I'm approaching the end of the round and I'm close to a personal best score I'm as focused as if there was 100$ on the line

I love golf and enjoy both types of rounds, but far prefer competition. But that may be because I approach everything as a competition. I don't like cars to pass me on the road. I don't like peers to finish work assignments before me. I struggle at times to let my daughters win when we play games. Maybe I'm wound too tight?

So yesterday we had our annual company scramble so it was mostly casual with just a bit of competition thrown in. The nice thing about a casual round like this is that I can grip it and rip it in places I normally would play smart. For instance, there was a Par 4 that was completely drivable if you are willing to take a chance hitting over 260 yards of water. In normal situations, I would play the hole as intended and lay up with my 4 iron with a high iron/wedge shot into the green. Instead I just went for it and stuck it within 15 feet of the pin. While that one worked out, there are plenty of other circumstances where it completely backfires.

I actually find myself playing less good in casual outings because I let loose a bit more and don't necessarily play the smart shot. If I'm looking for the lowest score, I like competition, but if I look to make that shot you can talk about for the next few weeks, casual is usually the better event.

I enjoy competitive rounds but can enjoy either as long as it's good people that I'm sharing the time with and not some butt hole complaining about everything.

Nothing helps me fall on my sword faster than a little friendly competition.

Mr. Par has the 6 inches between my ears pretty well submitted.

The funny thing is I never really choked at team sports.

That's what makes golf so unique. You really only have to conquer your self. ....

Back