Brands That Are Gone - Do You Miss Them?

Never specifically used much of anything from these brands but my brother had a number of Nickent clubs that he really loved. I gave them a swing a few times and enjoyed their old hybrids.

I know they are gone (even though Dick's bought the name and are still putting them out, but they are not the same brand to most of us), but it is funny to hear them referred to as the old Nickent clubs in this thread! They are only about 5 years old! They were great clubs way back then!

I know they are gone (even though Dick's bought the name and are still putting them out, but they are not the same brand to most of us), but it is funny to hear them referred to as the old Nickent clubs! They are only about 5 years old!

Haha, well, I haven't been golfing for five full years yet so they're definitely old in my book!

Plus, I'm young enough that five years represents a significant chunk!

Top Flite I miss for sure. They used to battle with Titliest as to who sold the most balls every year. I had two iron sets from them. I think the first was Executives or something like that and the second was the Tour irons and wedges.
If I remember right I gained about 10% more distance when I got the Tours. They were great irons but they really rattled your teeth if you hit them thin or on the toe. The wedges were wonderful too, I could hit out of sand with the lob wedge from that set.

I too had a Slotline Inertial putter that I loved. In fact, I only replaced it this year with a SeeMore FGP, but I kept that old putter just in case.

I also had some Wood Brothers Kool-Cat woods that I bought in the late 80's. They were wooden heads that were hollowed out and filled with cork and fitted with a hard plastic face. They weren't as long as today's drivers, but I could hit those things straight as an arrow every time.

I finally convinced my dad a month ago, to buy himself some burner 2.0's. After decades with the 845's he finally retired them to the spare bag in the garage.

I know they are gone (even though Dick's bought the name and are still putting them out, but they are not the same brand to most of us), but it is funny to hear them referred to as the old Nickent clubs in this thread! They are only about 5 years old! They were great clubs way back then!
I was thinking the same thing. Sad for me though that it's one of the few gone that I've actually played. Reading some of you guys' stories makes me wish I'd started way earlier.

I miss a good ol hickory shaft..I'm old...lol

Sent from my DROID X2

I miss a good ol hickory shaft..I'm old...lol

Sent from my DROID X2

My grandfather had a couple of sets with hickory shafts I think. haha

Buddy of mine played pal joeys and played them well. He misses them, I never used them. Personally, I can't think of a company that I miss.

Sonartec fairway woods with the driving cavity. I never hit these, but I always heard great things about them.

Sonartec for me as well. Even though you can get Royal Collection here and in Japan they were starting to get a lot of play on tour before being run into the ground.

Played a round with a gentleman who was still playing an 845 3 iron, to go with his x-22 irons, He said he actually played the 845s until about 3 years ago.

Digging through my basement today I found a set of Spalding XE metal woods....these must be one of the first sets of metal woods Spalding made.

The Spalding heads are so small, the driver is not much bigger than my Ping 4-wood and the 5-wood is the same size as my Adams hybrid.

I have several brands of clubs from manufacturers no longer in business. I have a set of MacGregor MT's circa 1981-82 which were forged blades similar in shape to the Nike's that Tiger Woods plays today. I know MacGregor probably had 50 different models called MT. These weren't musclebacks nor were they cavity backs either. These had a smooth, slightly pear-shaped back side to them. I still have them today, reshafted them with True Temper Gold Plus's Regular Flex as I got older. It's a shame what happened to MacGregor.

Another little company that I was sorry to see go was Cubic Balance. Not sure why they went under, perhaps they tried to make too many different models. But I'll tell you this, when they shut down they left a very good product on the table. I'm talking about the Ti-Zirc Easy Air fairway woods in the 15 degree and 18 degree lofts. These were low-profile fairway woods that came out not long after the Tight Lies hit the scene, maybe 1998. They even had an infomercial but by 2002 they were gone. They also had a 10 degree "fairway driver" which was difficult to hit with such low loft. These clubs made a very unusual high pitched ping sound when you hit them on the sweet spot. If you missed the sweet spot and toed it for instance, you would not hear that ping. Talk about punching a hole in the sky. What a club. Not sure if they came in other lofts besides the 10, 15 and 18.

Also owned a set of the Hogan Edges, original cavity back model, gave them to my son-in-law because the shafts (4) were too stiff for me as I got older.

I also became attached to a brand of shaft called SK Fiber. In the mid-90's about the time that AJ Tech came out with the large dia shaft that required no grip, SK Fiber came out with the Tornado or Big-T shaft for woods. It had an .811 dia butt end that required a wrap-on grip by Winn Grips. Of course the shaft never took off but I sure liked it because it added 15-30 yards to my fairway wood shots. Winn Grips stopped producing the wrap-on grips, but no matter, the Easton wrap-on baseball bat grips work just as well and are in fact much longer lasting. Anyway SK Fiber was sold by the Korean gentleman who started the company to a man from Alabama and the man from Alabama who I did business with a few times, eventually sold to Hireko Golf in California, the same company that bought Dynacraft. But the shafts I liked were discontinued. SK Fiber still exists but I'm not sure if the manufacturing processes that made their shafts so distinct are still being adhered to. As far as I can tell Hireko is a joke.

Last edited:
I like this bump, a lot, and welcome to THP!! Glad you found us!

Still Nickent for me. TRUE, Nickent with Hoeffy in charge. I need to grab a set of 3DX Pro's again just because.

Palmer. I loved my Palmer Axioms in the 80s. One of the better sets from the Ping Eye era. I wish I could see what a 2014 version would be like.

My first 3 wood was a Nickent. Great club.

My first set of irons were Prince Thundersticks, from the tennis company. Best grip I ever used.

Later I had a set of Giant Golf GX2 Irons.

I have several brands of clubs from manufacturers no longer in business. I have a set of MacGregor MT's circa 1981-82 which were forged blades similar in shape to the Nike's that Tiger Woods plays today. I know MacGregor probably had 50 different models called MT. These weren't musclebacks nor were they cavity backs either. These had a smooth, slightly pear-shaped back side to them. I still have them today, reshafted them with True Temper Gold Plus's Regular Flex as I got older. It's a shame what happened to MacGregor.

Another little company that I was sorry to see go was Cubic Balance. Not sure why they went under, perhaps they tried to make too many different models. But I'll tell you this, when they shut down they left a very good product on the table. I'm talking about the Ti-Zirc Easy Air fairway woods in the 15 degree and 18 degree lofts. These were low-profile fairway woods that came out not long after the Tight Lies hit the scene, maybe 1998. They even had an infomercial but by 2002 they were gone. They also had a 10 degree "fairway driver" which was difficult to hit with such low loft. These clubs made a very unusual high pitched ping sound when you hit them on the sweet spot. If you missed the sweet spot and toed it for instance, you would not hear that ping. Talk about punching a hole in the sky. What a club. Not sure if they came in other lofts besides the 10, 15 and 18.

Also owned a set of the Hogan Edges, original cavity back model, gave them to my son-in-law because the shafts (4) were too stiff for me as I got older.

I also became attached to a brand of shaft called SK Fiber. In the mid-90's about the time that AJ Tech came out with the large dia shaft that required no grip, SK Fiber came out with the Tornado or Big-T shaft for woods. It had an .811 dia butt end that required a wrap-on grip by Winn Grips. Of course the shaft never took off but I sure liked it because it added 15-30 yards to my fairway wood shots. Winn Grips stopped producing the wrap-on grips, but no matter, the Easton wrap-on baseball bat grips work just as well and are in fact much longer lasting. Anyway SK Fiber was sold by the Korean gentleman who started the company to a man from Georgia and the man from Georgia who I did business with a few times, eventually sold to Hireko Golf in California, the same company that bought Dynacraft. But the shafts I liked were discontinued. SK Fiber still exists but I'm not sure if the manufacturing processes that made their shafts so distinct are still being adhered to. As far as I can tell Hireko is a joke.

At one time SK Fiber was right down the road here from where I work

Nickent made amazing hybrids. The 3DX was the first hybrid I ever owned. I also miss Sonartec and still play a Sonartec 3 wood. MacGregor VIPs...Hogan Edge and Hogan wedges.

Man, I miss some of those companies.

I wonder if in 5 years we will be saying the same thing about Adams?

If they are gone I will be saying I miss them.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I was going to say the same thing...

My first 'real' set of clubs was just 4 years ago or so.

Nickent Driver
Adams Irons
Yes putter
Gamer V2 balls

Seems all are going or have gone the way of the Dodo bird.

The best golf I ever played was with my Tommy Armour 855's with Loomis graphite shafts. They were amazing.

Why not still game them? I play my 855's at least once a week. Shot my lowest scrore's ever with those irons but in stiff steel.

I think Lynx still makes clubs, but they're off the radar anymore. I had a set of Boom Boom woods that were great. The 9 degree driver had a Harrison shaft I carried it 180 and got like 40 yards of roll. Those were the days....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back