Preferred club for the 50 to 80 yd range?

Inside of 105 yards I am using my 60 degree pretty much exclusively. Right around the greens I like to use my 54.

That's 27 metres between distances. Leaves a lot of options. What is the lie like? Where are the hazards? Where is the pin? What is the green like? I can pitch it low and short and run on with maybe any one of my short irons. I could hit a low spinning check shot with any of my lower lofted wedges... Or a high floating soft shot with any higher lofted wedge played in various ways. It is a massively open-ended question. Only a fool uses the same club for the same distance every time, rain, hail, or shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

That's 27 metres between distances. Leaves a lot of options. What is the lie like? Where are the hazards? Where is the pin? What is the green like? I can pitch it low and short and run on with maybe any one of my short irons. I could hit a low spinning check shot with any of my lower lofted wedges... Or a high floating soft shot with any higher lofted wedge played in various ways. It is a massively open-ended question. Only a fool uses the same club for the same distance every time, rain, hail, or shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

A fool, or a beginner who only knows how to hit one kind of shot.

I must be a fool. I use my 60 for every kind of shot you can hit from 80 on in.

What if you have to keep it under a bunch of branches? Say, 30 yards worth?

I typically go 56, but will take some off a 60 if it's tricky pin and I really want it to stop.

PW to 58 is big. Personally, I have 2 wedges in between that gap at 50 and 54, and they may be used at any time for that kinda yardage if I'm somehow left in that situation. I try to avoid weird half yardages, but things happen from time to time. At any rate, I would pull whatever wedge based on the pin location and go from there.

Uphill or downhill, pin at the front or back of the green, hard or soft greens? So many variables and questions. In general I use my 54° wedge but can use anything up to a 9i. Try and be multi dimensional and use your imagination.

There’s no solid, one-club answer to this question, it all depends on the circumstances.

I start with trying to avoid getting it closer than 80 yards, as my 60° will give me 80-90 yards. I’m just not comfortable hitting ½ or ¾ swings. My full swing is pretty solid; I know it will go in the right direction (give or take a few yards), and I know it will travel a certain distance.

Inside 80 yards it really depends on what’s between me and the flag. Can I run it up to the green, and isn’t the course to soft? Then I might bump-and-run it onto the green. Is there water and/or a bunker, and do I have enough room to let the ball release? Then I normally play a straight-arm pitch shot. Only if there’s no other option I’ll try a ½ or ¾ swing with my wedges.

Got me a 52*. I like it, I can push one out to 100 and consistently hit a nice high slight fade to 75. Also it is easy to hit a low high spin ball.

Back