Preferred club for the 50 to 80 yd range?

My 56° sand wedge seems to fill this role for me.

Always a lob or sand wedge from that range but I much prefer to be 85-90 yards so I can hit a full lob wedge. Partial wedges are a weakness as I no longer play/practice enough to have good distance control on partial shots.

That's a wide range for me to. Mostly inside 30 yards and around the green I'll use a 60*. 30-80 will, in most cases, be my 54* wedge.

I'm probably the wrong one to ask since I use my 54 degree for everything from 105 yards and in.

I'd say you certainly should throw a 52 or 54 in your bag though. The should cover that middle distance without much hazard to your playing partners.

First of all I have a major gap in my wedges (pw and 58* only in my bag). My pw at full swing perfect contact is right at 120, I can acurrately dial it down to about 80. I have hit my 58 to 75 but it can be a hazard to my playing partners. If I try anything more than a half swing with my 58 it gets dangerous. I feel I'm trying to "overswing" the club for my skill level. What would be your recommendation for an additional wedge? Thanks.

It seems your set basically goes from PW right to LW. It seems your missing a gap wedge and/or sand wedge. Some of this depends on how old or new your set is as lofts have changed. Sw lofts are (from what I understand) still relatively similar on newer sets but the pw has been pushed back to basically what a 9i use to be. This created the wider gap between it and the sw and thus the gw was added or sometimes also called an aw (approach wedge).

I also cannot (like many other people and similar to your 58*) play my lw (60*) at full swing with great success. While its been a godsend for many circumstances around the greens (I do love it for the role I use it in) I instead use my sw(54*) for anything from its full yardage (about 90 to 100) and anything inwards of that while still at significant yardage. I can simply swing it much more like the rest of my irons vs my Lw So I am able to adjust my backswing (to dial down distance). I can do that much better than I can hit my LW at a full swing or fooling around with it other than greenside shots. I would say you need something around 50 to 54 degrees. Basically a sw or maybe a gw. If your like me and some others I know of then imo you'll find it easier to dial that down vs messing around with your 58* lw. Just my suggestion I hope may help. But we are all different so only you will discover what best for you.

Depending on conditions and turf I would use a 56 or 60. If conditions allowed chip & run then possibly the 50.

My 60 degree has a max of 80 yards. I will pretty much use that for any shot between 50-80 yards. If I have the option, I would consider using a 56 for a low runner.

Half PW to Gap Wedge if the pin is in front and not a lot of green. If the pin is in the middle or back, I prefer to take something with less loft and run it up. 7 to 9 iron depending on how far to reach the green.

54 degree wedge. Half shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

72 degree wedge. full shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIFY, I saw you hitting LW at that 19th hole in Cincy last year

To the original OP: if I were you, I'd be adding a 52 or 54 degree 588 RTX CB wedge.

For me, it depends on where I am hitting from. If the ball is in the fairway, I pull my 55 degree wedge; in the rough, my 60 degree wedge--but that is all guess work based on bounce/grind options I went with. I hit full shots with both wedges, but rarely take full "step on it" swings with either.

58* Ping i20 lob wedge every time!

I carry a PW-52-56-58.
Depending on turf and green conditions along with bunker placements, I use any of the 4.

56* has been my go to at this distance.

At the lower end of that, I take 58*. At the upper end, I'm probably taking 54*. I'd rather take shorter swings with wedges because I can be much more precise that way.

Depends on the lie and whether I need to pitch it high or low. I use anything from a 8 iron to a LW.

60* wedge

judging by your distances it sounds like a 52* would suit you well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me and my limited set of clubs, it would be the set SW, although if I had a clear shot without hazards and it was extremely windy then I may well play a little 7i and try to chase the ball up to the green

I use a 56*.

First of all I have a major gap in my wedges (pw and 58* only in my bag). My pw at full swing perfect contact is right at 120, I can acurrately dial it down to about 80. I have hit my 58 to 75 but it can be a hazard to my playing partners. If I try anything more than a half swing with my 58 it gets dangerous. I feel I'm trying to "overswing" the club for my skill level. What would be your recommendation for an additional wedge? Thanks.

I think you go with what works for you -- And hit the range and practice it.

Anything inside 95 yards is a guaranteed 58* wedge for me. i work on manipulating the loft or my swing to accommodate and usually it works well. That said, if I have 50-80 yards into the green, personally, I'll be disappointed with myself. Why suffer with a 3/4 or half swing when you can have a full swing into the green? Course management is a beautiful thing.

Lots of interesting responses - all of them work for each golfer. Based on your distances, I think a 53 deg wedge (bend a 52 or 54, depending on what bounce you want) might be a nice fit. Then take it to the range. Lay a towel out at whatever yardage you want, and practice flying a ball to the towel. As long as the towel isn't green, that is!

To the original OP: if I were you, I'd be adding a 52 or 54 degree 588 RTX CB wedge.

For me, it depends on where I am hitting from. If the ball is in the fairway, I pull my 55 degree wedge; in the rough, my 60 degree wedge--but that is all guess work based on bounce/grind options I went with. I hit full shots with both wedges, but rarely take full "step on it" swings with either.

I strongly endorse this advice.

For me, this range probably covers two different clubs. At 50, I'm probably taking out the 56 bent to 57, and at 80 I'm probably taking out the 52 bent to 53.

Back