Demo clubs in store, purchase on-line..

Its funny, but the online retailers do all the things that the local stores should do.
- decent trade in evaluations
- first purchase is almost always 10-20% off if you sign up
- loyalty is rewarded with further discounts
- sales are significant and often
- spend a lot? You'll almost always save a lot.

My local big box stores do none of those things. Their idea of a 'doorcrasher sale' is 'blowing out' Nike TW polos for 75 instead of 90.

Have any of you ever demo'd clubs or had a fitting and took your numbers/metrics and ordered your own clubs online instead of from the store itself ? Do people do that ?

I like to support my local shops as much as possible. People around my area need jobs and having a job keeps them from robbing my house later.

If I were to set up a fitting and take someone's time I would buy from them.

I used to buy from the net and a "big box store".. But since getting to know the local store at the course and their staff they get my money.. They are extremely helpful and let's me demo everything.. They also has customer loyalty thing which gets me store credit for every purchase which is nice..

The best thing is that they can order anything if I have found something on THP that I want to try out.. No purchase required!

I was under the impression this was a known and accepted fact by stores, and like someone else said they just charge more for the fitting. Are there places that don't sell clubs but do fittings and have demo sets?

Have any of you ever demo'd clubs or had a fitting and took your numbers/metrics and ordered your own clubs online instead of from the store itself ? Do people do that ?

What you describe is one of the biggest issues with most retail businesses , golf, shoes, clothing to a point. I rarely buy anything new when it comes to golf and spend plenty of time in Golf Galaxy hitting clubs but rarely buy new driver/irons, but i do spend most of my money on extras(balls, tees, gloves, clothing) at golf galaxy, so it balances out.

I like to support my local shops as much as possible. People around my area need jobs and having a job keeps them from robbing my house later.

I do agree with you to an extent. But always spending more money on items to keep your business local, you are essentially still being robbed.

My bag is a mixture. It really depends on the deal for me. If I can buy locally for about the same price then I'll definitely do it but there are some deals online that are too good to pass up.

I have done this in the past, but usually only if I am more knowledgeable about the equipment/numbers than the sales guy helping me.

In my sales life as a rep in the running shoe business I have seen what this does to local mom and pop stores. Of course they know this happens. Between big box retail and now the internet it is very hard for them to compete. Their sole advantage is service. If they provide service that cost them time and money. Then folks go to the internet after them gave them their expertise then they have lost big time. se
I do agree with you to an extent. But always spending more money on items to keep your business local, you are essentially still being robbed.

In my sales life as a rep in the running shoe business I have seen what this does to local mom and pop stores. Of course they know this happens. Between big box retail and now the internet it is very hard for them to compete. Their sole advantage is service. If they provide service that cost them time and money. Then folks go to the internet after them gave them their expertise then they have lost big time. se

Like I said, I do agree to an extent. But just like in my previous post, the service provided at the local golfsmith was not worth an extra $100 to buy the putter locally instead of online.

I like to buy from our pro shop. Sometime's it's a little more, but sometime's it's a little less. Usually I buy used clubs, so I get to take them out and play them a few times before purchasing. This saves me money, and I end up a lot more confident in my club purchases.

I've developed a good relationship with my local big box guy. He gave me a great deal on some JPX 850 Forged the day they came out and most recently a deal on a current model year Scotty. So he's earned my loyalty because I'm sure he could have gotten in trouble for that. I don't know if he gave me his employee discount or what, but I'll will do most of my shopping with him.

Like many others have said, I'll buy in store unless it's substantially cheaper online. I would say my bag is about 75:25 used:store bought

I've developed a good relationship with my local big box guy. He gave me a great deal on some JPX 850 Forged the day they came out and most recently a deal on a current model year Scotty. So he's earned my loyalty because I'm sure he could have gotten in trouble for that. I don't know if he gave me his employee discount or what, but I'll will do most of my shopping with him.
That makes sense.

I've spent thousands at my local GolfTowns but still when I walk in and ask to demo some clubs they roll their eyes at me. Hardly gives me a reason to give them any more of my money.

I do like a pro shop at a local course quite a bit and now that our dollar sucls I plan to buy most of my stuff there.

Guilty as charged many times in the past. Not going to do it when I do a 13 club fitting in the spring of 2015 though.

I don't think I ever have bought clubs in a store, actually I lied once I traded in a set that netted me a good deal on a brand new set.
I mean come on, who doesn't like saving money?

I have done it. Typically if the price difference isn't huge I'll try to buy it in store if the service is good, but as some others have said, I'm not gonna take a huge hit to buy in store. And I don't feel too bad doing it because I've bought a number of things there, and I take lessons from the pro there.

This is why fittings are more expensive these days... I've done it before, but I generally make all of my large purchases (read: new irons, drivers) from physical stores or pro shops. I like a deal as much as the next guy but if they spend the time to sell me, I usually buy from them. Plus I'd like them to be there next time I'm in the mood to actually hit something. :thumb:

at a local shop they have an employee who remembers stuff about me and my golf and asks "hey how is that new grip we put on feeling? how is the recoil shaft in the scor wedge doing? how is your doberman? he deserves money from me and its worth it to me for the little extra it costs to go there over an online shop. but when i bought my new wardrobe for work, i didnt feel ashamed to take advantage of the online clothing sales at various online golf stores for my polos

I try to buy from a local 'mom and pop' store by me which is a second generation store and has been in business since the 70's. I get my balls, tees, etc from there. Anything new I'll get from them. They don't have a huge used section so I don't feel bad buying used stuff online or whatnot. But they will match pricing from the big name stores which is nice. I've watched guys get numbers from fittings and go buy elsewhere. I think they need to incorporate a fee of a set amount for a fitting and then if you buy from them, they take it off the set price or whatever.

But overall, I feel shady if I go try things out and then buy online. I can't do it as much as it would benefit my pocket.

I buy my clubs online more often then not. I also usually buy last years models rather than the current manufacture offerings. I have found that online retailers discount these items to a much lower price than brick and mortars.

That being said, I try and buy some stuff (gloves, grips, balls, etc.) from local places where I get good service. Some places I go I feel like I walked onto a used car lot w/ commission hungry sales reps (who I feel sometimes veer you towards certain brands due to certain perks they might receive. I cannot confirm this, just a feeling I get)

1 other thing... Here in WA state the sales tax is about 9% or more in most places. If a local shop is selling a club for $200 and an online retailer is selling for $170, that is not a difference of $30 but almost $50 with tax included.

I demo live outdoors on the range and on the course. I then buy from the course. 10% discount to course members, higher than average trade in value on other clubs, and the money goes into the pocket of a man and his family that are true friends, not some box store or online joker that could care less about me or my game. Off of the soapbox..........

We just got a golfsmith about 6 months ago and it's awesome to have here, and I really want to support as much as possible to keep them here. Plus I bought a counterfeit shaft online and learned my lesson the hard way.

My current bag is mostly from the place where I take lessons and got fit, they credit back some on the fitting and in the case of Callaway clubs (which they are a fitting center for) they will also give me the going rate on the trades.

It helps support their bottom line and helps keep good people in a job. But now I am pondering Srixon and that is a problem, no place to try them and I hate to go away from these great people. I am sure they will still work with me but it will be strange to go in with another OEM's gear to a lesson.

Back